Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[CA/IMHO] Trans thread shut down

Options
  • 23-10-2019 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

The Yaniv thread has been shut down. Of course it was. This was inevitable. Once the judgement came in the door was opened for a rational discussion about these issues. The people who got red carded for calling this, having been vindicated could query the mods.

As if! Watch as this thread gets deleted by the Marxist student Union mods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dante7 wrote: »
    The Yaniv thread has been shut down. Of course it was. This was inevitable. Once the judgement came in the door was opened for a rational discussion about these issues. The people who got red carded for calling this, having been vindicated could query the mods.

Was going to suggest you take this to the feedback forum, but then read the last line :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Was going to suggest you take this to the feedback forum, but then read the last line :)

I for one welcome our new Marxist student overlords.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

One word - Reddit

Boards is afraid it will get a little clatter on the wrist if someone posts the wrong thing.
    Its hosted in Ireland, time to move it boards owners to somewhere like Sweden instead of been stuck in the stone age which you currently are.

Dante7 wrote: »

Could you please explain what a Yaniv thread is, why it is inevitable, and what the problem is? There's really no context given in your submission; it just seems to be an inane rant.

Why the capitals for 'Marxist' and 'Union' but not 'student' or 'mods' in 'Marxist student Union mods'? I don't grasp the nuances there.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's a tad ridiculous that a rational conversation on trans issues can't be discussed...just look at the Rachael McKinnion thread to see delusional posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Boards is afraid it will get a little clatter on the wrist if someone posts the wrong thing.
    Its hosted in Ireland, time to move it boards owners to somewhere like Sweden instead of been stuck in the stone age which you currently are.
    it has the same owners as TheJournal, I think you could get away with a lot more controversial viewpoints in the comments over there
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's a tad ridiculous that a rational conversation on trans issues can't be discussed...just look at the Rachael McKinnion thread to see delusional posters

I'd say some could be on a wind-up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'd say some could be on a wind-up there...

I fear most are genuinely serious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm going to write an angry letter about the Marxist mods, I think I'll use my red crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Of course it was shut down. The mods were losing a logic battle... red cards being handed out for "misgendering" Yaniv as a man... HE IS A MAN. He was born a man and will die as a man unless he can go back in time and change his chromosomes to (XX).

But oh no, one mention of "he" or "his" on the thread is a red card.

You should be absolutely ashamed.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Student union marxists run boards.ie??

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Exactly.
    There are many alternatives if you want an open discussion with less moderation.
    Boards has had a heavy handed approach to moderation when it comes to issues they considerate sensitive, it's been like this for well over a decade now.
    It goes back to the MCD incident scaring the crap out of them.
    If this is the kind of site people want boards will flourish, if not people will move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm 30 but I identify as a 5 year old. So therefore I should be considered a minor in the eyes of the law!! I've been alive for over 10,000 days, but that doesn't matter cos I identify as I've only been here for 1,800!!

I feel like I'm being too subtle here.. .. ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

I identify as a millionaire but the bank won't give me any loans.

What is a Yaniv Thread?

What is a Yaniv Thread?

Out of the way!
    jessica-yaniv-3.png?w=780

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tuxy wrote: »
    Out of the way!
    jessica-yaniv-3.png?w=780

Oh I remember that show, what was it called!?

Oh yeah - Little Britain. Great show.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh I remember that show, what was it called!?

Oh yeah - Little Britain. Great show.

"The only trans in the village"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"I'm a lady!" ...you wouldn't get away with it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THO9-N--k4

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The alternative was to card and threadban all those who were ignoring the warning in the OP. That would probably have left something less than an echo chamber

And to add I have not been a member of a student union in over 37 years. The first time I voted was for a party led at the time by Margaret Thatcher in a constituency that in due course became occupied by William Hague

Now OP, can you explain ti me what evidence you have of your assertions that I am both Marxist and a member of a Student Union?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: Forum specific issues go to Help Desk. Feedback is for sitewide issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Moderator: Forum specific issues go to Help Desk. Feedback is for sitewide issues.

AKA we'll stick the thread here for it to die.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

With respect, hulla, this is a sitewide issue as we can read from Niamh's final post here and sitewide issues have to happen in forums first to then become sitewide issues later. Therefore, I think the correct place for this thread was Feedback.

As the policy currently stands, if you tell us you're trans tomorrow, and declare your pronouns to be hulla/hullas/hullaself, we have to use your pronouns. If you don't agree that I'm correct, I invite you to read the official rule.

This is a problem, because if Yaniv (a vile and vicious racist who tried and failed to weaponise law against vulnerable minorities for financial gain) decided to change pronouns tomorrow, we, as Boards users are obliged to "use the person's preferred pronouns". If we don't, we can expect to be "carded".

And to make matters even worse, we can't even express our IMHO views on a forum that is literally called "IMHO". This means I have to stand by every word I said in this post until the admin team/"the office" admits that you got this one very, very wrong.

A significant number of people 'thanked' my final post on the now-locked thread in question. If you, as the admin team, can't or won't address the glaring impracticalities of the issue causing such unrest, then users of the site will continue to drop away one at a time until, to use Beasty's words, the site itself becomes little more than an echo chamber of people who agree with each other.

In closing, I put it to you that this is an overcorrection that would benefit from respectful and courteous debate. However, I don't believe that's likely to happen because of the ground it could potentially cede back to reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Beasty wrote: »
    The alternative was to card and threadban all those who were ignoring the warning in the OP. That would probably have left something less than an echo chamber

And to add I have not been a member of a student union in over 37 years. The first time I voted was for a party led at the time by Margaret Thatcher in a constituency that in due course became occupied by William Hague

Now OP, can you explain ti me what evidence you have of your assertions that I am both Marxist and a member of a Student Union?

The last line of my post was obviously tongue in cheek. But you unilaterally decided to shut down a thread that had just become very active again, and which still has a lot of running. There will be the question of whether the respondents can now take a civil action?

There is also the larger issue of whether this judgement has shone a light on the fact that predatory males are abusing self-id laws? This debate has now been stifled under the premise that a warning about misgendering. You shut down a thread because people refused to call Yaniv a woman.

As I suggested in my OP, this thread would also be shut down. I naively believed that by predicting the behaviour, it would prevent it. But the mods found a way around it and moved it to a forum where thanks aren't permitted. How about we have a poll about the topic and see how many people think the Yaniv thread should have been shut down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I've also just noticed that to even post in this thread, your post has to first go through mod approval. Way to bury a topic!

Here is the mod warning in the Yaniv thread.

"Mod: We're getting a lot of reports about the misgendering, deliberate or otherwise, of Jessica Yaniv.

Whatever people's thoughts on the case at hand, how this person chooses to identify is their choice alone. Jessica Yaniv, whatever you might think of her actions elsewhere, chooses to identify as male-to-female transgender. Discuss the person's actions all you want, but from here on in, use the person's preferred pronouns."

So, the thread was closed down because people were refusing to follow this instruction about misgendering Yaniv. Even after all that has been revealed about Yaniv. Even after the court rulings. Even after the many, many things that have emerged. It was decided to close down the thread because people refused to call him a woman. Unbelievable nonsense.

I see why it's important not to misgender Yaniv despite everything. It has to be one rule fur all because there are genuine trans people here and out there.

It's pretty simple to say "Yaniv is a peadophile who fantasises about little girls having their period". You don't need to say she or he is a peadophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I see why it's important not to misgender Yaniv despite everything. It has to be one rule fur all because there are genuine trans people here and out there.

It's pretty simple to say "Yaniv is a peadophile who fantasises about little girls having their period". You don't need to say she or he is a peadophile.

What makes you think trans people will be offended or hurt by the "mins-gendering" of yaniv? What if I want to say he or she? Why I should I have to change the way I speak?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement