Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xmas 2019

• 23-10-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi, my son wants to get his first phone this xmas. I have been given the task of picking it up
    Budget is €200
    Was looking in Argos and they have the Samsung a20 , Nokia 4.2 or the Motorola g7 power SIM free .
    Have been told in no uncertain terms to forget about any Chinese brand.
    Of the three listed above which one would be the better but? Or is there any other phone that would be better for around the same money?
    Thanks for any help with this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Who told you to forget Chinese brands? You'd get a much better Xiaomi or redmi for that money than the phones you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wilser

Who told you to forget Chinese brands? You'd get a much better Xiaomi or redmi for that money than the phones you mentioned.

Bought my wife a redmi after a recommendation on here, she hates it. Have offered to swap my Huawei p20 for it but she prefers to just remind me of the problems with it at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

those 3 all look decent, I would go with the motorola based on battery life, but the other two have android one so should get updates quicker.
    I am not sure why you would write off chinese brands, I have a xiaomi mi max 3 and find it awesome,
    have a look on kimovil and see what is on offer
    the first phone they show has twice the ram and storage and a better processor than all of these and only EUR 220
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-8-pro

GBX wrote: »

Thanks for the info, this looks good. Only issue I can see is that it maybe a little bit big. Is that eglobal site that you linked ok to order thru? Any customs with that? Sorry for all the questions, am out of the loop with regards to phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I bough a Motorola power 64gb on Amazon, best phone I've ever had, great screen, fast as fook and does everything I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

Or get a Honour aka Huawei off Amazon for piece of mind using a named website

https://tinyurl.com/yxkj97eg

Ive that phone almost a year and its brilliant, the alternative to the dearer Pocophone EVERYONE was recommending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

wilser wrote: »
    Bought my wife a redmi after a recommendation on here, she hates it. Have offered to swap my Huawei p20 for it but she prefers to just remind me of the problems with it at every opportunity.

Maybe get the wife a new phone and pass on her redmi to the off-spring? two birds with one stone?

Maybe get the wife a new phone and pass on her redmi to the off-spring? two birds with one stone?

That would be great only for the fact that santa is bringing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Defo recommend Xiaomi IV had 3 of them now and got 6 friends on them.another plus is screen replacement is cheap for them where the Samsung are very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have a Redmi Note 5 and it's great & great value.
    Getting my wife a phone for Xmas, this'll be one of my main one I'll consider (well, newer model).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alphasun

wilser wrote: »
    Hi, my son wants to get his first phone this xmas. I have been given the task of picking it up
    Budget is €200
    Was looking in Argos and they have the Samsung a20 , Nokia 4.2 or the Motorola g7 power SIM free .
    Have been told in no uncertain terms to forget about any Chinese brand.
    Of the three listed above which one would be the better but? Or is there any other phone that would be better for around the same money?
    Thanks for any help with this

I have just ordered and paid for a Motorola/Lenovo phone (g8plus, crystal pink) and because the colour is out of stock it's been delyed indefinitely -- no clear shipping date.
    The point is that the colour model was and is still listed as in stock. I pointed this out and there was no change.
    There are years of complaints about Lenovo service -- don't buy online from them, use a brick and mortar shop.

Advertisement