Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf Mk VIII

• 24-10-2019 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Official pictures have leaked. Not a radical departure but more of an evolution in design as expected. Cabin has come up in quality. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I always found the recent Golfs rather dumpy looking. The Ford Focus is a better looker. Even the Corolla hatchback is more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Its a car model that's never departed from the previous design, I like that consistency.
    Contrast that to say Toyota Corolla down the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's a Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Over 40's will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As will under 40s.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pics?

Comhra wrote: »
    Over 40's will love it.

... when the Skoda version comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As will under 40s.

If I were in the market for a medium hatch, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Highline with a 1.5 TSI engine and DSG would be a lovely car imho.

I'm over 40. Dammit I'm over 50, I'm even over 60 and I always loved the Golf over the decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

They will sell like hot cakes.

Interesting to see if the Electric yoke will cannibalise golf sales.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see if the Electric yoke will cannibalise golf sales.

Looks like the golf range will focus on hybrids, two versions of the GTE and 3 and 4 cylinder eTSI petrols....must be to entice people who aren't convinced by full electric yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

Why does nobody care about what is one of the most important cars of the year?

It's just another Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think everybody knows what to expect. They wont be reinventing the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

No bonnet struts, i'm done with VW :D

All VW need is for lots of people to buy them, not for nerds like us to talk about them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

All VW need is for lots of people to buy them, not for nerds like us to talk about them :)

I see n someone in another thread say they sell enough in there home market alone that it would not matter if they sold any here in Ireland or not at all. That's why the bad cars they make will end up here and in the UK.
    I think the ID.3 should have been the new Golf this new Golf is just more boring but the dash does look very modern still would not want to know what the cost would should something go wrong. Also how much of it will still be working in say 10 years time and will it need software updates every year or two or even more regularly?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I see n someone in another thread say they sell enough in there home market alone that it would not matter if they sold any here in Ireland or not at all. That's why the bad cars they make will end up here and in the UK.

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Eh?

They send it through a mirror machine first to flip the steering wheel over onto the other side for us. Cutting edge technology.

AMKC wrote: »

I did the factory tour in Wolfsburg, what you say is correct.
    There is a home market production line and a secondary lower quality production line just for the uk and Ireland :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Neilw wrote: »
    I did the factory tour in Wolfsburg, what you say is correct.
    There is a home market production line and a secondary lower quality production line just for the uk and Ireland :o

I remember that. They were letting people on the tours paint the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s a mild hybrid, not sure how that differs from a full hybrid.
    Toyota Corolla seems like a good alternative and will likely hold value just as well

Gael23 wrote: »
    It’s a mild hybrid, not sure how that differs from a full hybrid.
    Toyota Corolla seems like a good alternative and will likely hold value just as well

The mild hybrid is basically a motor/generator on a belt drive, like an alternator would be. There’s a small (half the physical size of a regular car battery) 48v battery that is charged up by deceleration and can be discharged on acceleration.

A Corolla is priced so expensively these days that it hasn’t a hope of retaining the same resale as a similarly priced Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Same exterior design - check
    Lash more screens in - check.
    Job done.

Pretty much like every new car these days.

Advertisement