Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choice between London and Dublin: Impacted by poor GBP?

• 24-10-2019 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I currently live abroad and I'm contemplating whether to relocate to London or return to work in Dublin.

Here's my predicament:

I would like to buy a house in the next 2-3 years and I see myself settling in Dublin long-term, but have always wanted to work in London as it is supposed to be very good experience for my line of work.

Given the current GBP/EUR exchange rate, I would earn close to 40% more in Dublin (on Euro terms). Given this, and the fact I will be saving for a house to buy in Euro, does it make any sense to give the London experiment a go?

I would be earning a good London wage but I'm always converting back to Euro and it doesn't add up, when compared to potential Dublin salary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dowend wrote: »
    I currently live abroad and I'm contemplating whether to relocate to London or return to work in Dublin.

Here's my predicament:

I would like to buy a house in the next 2-3 years and I see myself settling in Dublin long-term, but have always wanted to work in London as it is supposed to be very good experience for my line of work.

Given the current GBP/EUR exchange rate, I would earn close to 40% more in Dublin (on Euro terms). Given this, and the fact I will be saving for a house to buy in Euro, does it make any sense to give the London experiment a go?

I would be earning a good London wage but I'm always converting back to Euro and it doesn't add up, when compared to potential Dublin salary.

London is an expensive place to live. Rent plus commuting means it can be difficult to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

Really hard for us to help without knowing how much you would earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dowend

Really hard for us to help without knowing how much you would earn.

Looking at something like €85k - 95k in Dublin vs. £60k -75k in London

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

That's more than enough to live comfortably in both cities. Dublin is obviously a bit cheaper but if you're set on London you could live further out, reduce the cost a bit.

I'd look at some of the recent historic values of Euro to Pound and see if that changes much for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Could you take the Job in London but get paid in Euro? Would hate to live on the boarder counties and live in the south but work on the north. FX would've been a significant hit to to your take home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

London is about to become a backwater in terms on interesting work experience for the next five or ten years. Without the passporting of financial services, trade agreements, recognition of professional qualifications and so on it is not going to be an attractive place to do new stuff for sometime, so I would not expect the experience of the next few years to be as valuable to your career as it might have been in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Isn't this your answer?

Do 2 years in London and then move to Dublin and settle down.

Advertisement