Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

As I said, it's more unlikely than likely, I just have a feeling. Part of this is driven tby the stangness of the bubble circumstances. Were this a proper Home and Away series with fans I seriously doubt I'd be thinking along these lines.

Could be completely wrong of course.

The Heat don't have the depth to compete for a 7 game series with LA, they only use 7/8 players most games while the Lakers are using 9/10 players ..Butler must be exhausted now too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

jk23 wrote: »
    The Heat don't have the depth to compete for a 7 game series with LA, they only use 7/8 players most games while the Lakers are using 9/10 players ..Butler must be exhausted now too

Lakers somewhat comfortably for me tonight.

AD back to relative full health while Jimmy as you see may have peaked.

I'd be very surprised to see this go to 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Lakers somewhat comfortably for me tonight.

AD back to relative full health while Jimmy as you see may have peaked.

I'd be very surprised to see this go to 7

You think AD is back to full health . Probably done more damage playing on . And he wasn't moving freely at all

You think AD is back to full health . Probably done more damage playing on . And he wasn't moving freely at all

As I said relative full health. He stayed in the game the other night and continued to contribute.

People seem to use injuries as excuses but they are bound to happen when playing at such high pace so frequently.

AD has never been this deep in the post season before and he has been injury prone in the past so in light of all that, relative full health seems a fair assessment.

You'll never read any post where I bemoan post season injuries at this late stage.

Miami with some horrible shot selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Looks like game over, I feel Miami felt like they had to go for broke and throw the kitchen sink at them but they didn’t, Dragic looks way off the pace, can’t get off the ground for his shot, it’s a tough situation for them
    They can’t box AD out, let’s see what adjustments they can make for second half, I think LeBron will take this home

Three titles with three different teams in a span of seven years. What an incredible, all-time accomplishment.

Congrats Danny Green. #NBAFinals

(I stole that off Twitter)

Looks like game over, I feel Miami felt like they had to go for broke and throw the kitchen sink at them but they didn’t, Dragic looks way off the pace, can’t get off the ground for his shot, it’s a tough situation for them
    They can’t box AD out, let’s see what adjustments they can make for second half, I think LeBron will take this home

Always going to be a mammoth task to pull off another performance.

As much as The Heat wanted to win and felt that they could, both teams will reflect on their performances positively in time.

As I previously mentioned, the ultimate audition tape for Giannis. More players will want to join Jimmy now. They could well be a force in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Very easy in the end. Wasn't much of a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Lakers. No complaints in end

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Very easy in the end. Wasn't much of a contest.

3rd wire to wire victory in the past 50 years in NBA title clincher, Jimmy just left it all out there in game 5 so always potential for something like this.

Frightening to think LeBron can compete at this level at 35. Overall 60% from the field and 39% from 3pt range is just amazing.

Always going to be a mammoth task to pull off another performance.

As much as The Heat wanted to win and felt that they could, both teams will reflect on their performances positively in time.

As I previously mentioned, the ultimate audition tape for Giannis. More players will want to join Jimmy now. They could well be a force in the East.

100%, if I was giannis, I’d be taking a serious look at Miami now, he is the player they are missing, could handle AD

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good series in the end. LeBron’s ability to come back and triple double two nights later in stark contrast to Butler’s lack of production tonight.

While Vogel was out coached this series, what a tremendous job he did all year pulling all of this together and helping to express the strengths of the roster.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

While Vogel was out coached this series, what a tremendous job he did all year pulling all of this together and helping to express the strengths of the roster.

Spoe in a different league as a coach but as you say Vogel did a tremendous job rallying this roster.

Not sure if you caught Nash on JJ Redick but he touches on his appointment and acknowledges that his hiring was more related to relationships management than x's and o's.

Spoe & Pop separate themselves because they have done both. Nash has been hired to do exactly as Vogel has done which is no easy task.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,489 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Good series in the end. LeBron’s ability to come back and triple double two nights later in stark contrast to Butler’s lack of production tonight.
    Butler playing 47 minutes in game 5 did him in. He needed at least an extra day to get over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Congrats to LA.

Still wonder what could have been had Miami not had the injuries but you can only beat what's in front of you.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Butler playing 47 minutes in game 5 did him in. He needed at least an extra day to get over that.

Huge load to carry by himself and like AD, if you haven't made it that far in the past it's a very difficult ask to bounce back quickly. Injury, mental & physical fatigue all arise. It's the expectation.

LBJ's ability to recover is phenomenal but it's a combination of his physical gifts, dedication to training and experience that allow him to do it.

Butler played over and above the expectations anyone could have set for him and that's all you can ask of a player.

Realistically, few players have seen their stock rise more than him this off season.

You wouldn't really notice it but LBJ averaged only 36.3 mins per game this year which is over 5 mins less than his career playoff average.

Outside of the blowout victory against the Rockets in G1 and a couple of blowouts against Portland, most of their other games were within 10 points.

You'd have to wonder if the groin injury he was suffering with throughout the playoffs had much of an impact on him.

His numbers and general level seem all the more impressive.

Zach Lowe and Brian Windhorst going overboard on the hyperbole big time this morning.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Dwight has a ring.
    KCP has a ring.
    Markieff Morris has a ring.
    Jared Dudley has a ring.
    Dion Waiters has a ring.
    JR Smith has more than one.
    Javale has more than one.
    Quinn Cook has more than one.

Antetokounmpo has a ring (Kostas, not Giannis).

Strange world.

How many more years will LeBron play? I think at least 3 ....

Apparently he wants to play a season in the NBA while his son plays too.

Obviously that's a rumour but it's not too far off the timeline as I believe he's eligible in 2024 assuming no rule change.

The big thing imo is less about how long he plays and more about how ling he plays as the best player on a contender.

Personally, I think he has 1 more year at that level with the gap narrowing further between him and AD next year.

Assuming the rumour around his son is untrue, I tend to think 3-4 years or as long as he thinks he can be a Top 5 player.

He won't play too far beyond that.

Apparently he wants to play a season in the NBA while his son plays too.

Obviously that's a rumour but it's not too far off the timeline as I believe he's eligible in 2024 assuming no rule change.

The big thing imo is less about how long he plays and more about how ling he plays as the best player on a contender.

Personally, I think he has 1 more year at that level with the gap narrowing further between him and AD next year.

Assuming the rumour around his son is untrue, I tend to think 3-4 years or as long as he thinks he can be a Top 5 player.

He won't play too far beyond that.

He could easily be a great role player even when his prime is gone as he is a great passer and rebounder. How many more rings do you think he will win?..

He's often said he'll play until 40 and wants to play with Bronny Jr. in the league. It's unlikely Bronny Jr. makes it to the NBA based on ability but of course, Kostas isn't there on ability either so maybe LA or whatever team LeBron is with at that stage gives him a contract.

To be fair, he's in incredble shape for a man his age with the miles he has on the clock. There's some athletic regession for sure, but it's not devastatingly so. He's a testament to sports science and investment in his own body.

If he has the mental appetite for it, I could see him easily going to 40 and beyond, bar serious injury.

He could easily be a great role player even when his prime is gone as he is a great passer and rebounder. How many more rings do you think he will win?..

I agree if injury free he could probably be an elite role player for longer like Duncan did for the Spurs.
    Duncan finished 2nd or 3rd in the NBA in defensive win shares/DBPM in his final year so he wasn't a scrub.
    LBJ could do something similar perhaps in a Rondo type role but I'm not sure he wants that.

Obviously I don't know but I feel he may only want to win titles as the best player or least as the joint best and not take a secondary role.

As far as titles are concerned. Personally, it all comes down to this off season. That Lakers team aren't good enough to win again next year imo.
    They need some help, they'll have a host of expiring contracts so perhaps they can make some deals around the trade deadline to strength the roster.

If they can do that, I can see him definitely getting in and around 2-3 more attempts at finals appearances but the West won't be easy.

Gun to my head, I'd be between 0-1 but probably pick 1 more title as the best player and see what decision he makes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He's going for the all time scorer too, still 4000+ behind Kareem. Surely take 3 years to get it.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    He's going for the all time scorer too, still 4000+ behind Kareem. Surely take 3 years to get it.

What would he have to average over say 3/4 years?

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Zach Lowe mentioned on his podcast that LeBron is gone 2nd in all time scoring if you combine the regular and post seasons.

Also, another crazy number, he's played 81 more post season games than MJ, so a whole regular season worth of games on top :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In terms of the role he's currently playing the wall must be coming soon. Taking on primary defensive duties on the opposing ball handler late in playoff games at 35 is quite incredible. In fact, the greater commitment to better defense this year was quite surprising given he had clearly been managing his effort on that end in previous seasons.

The question nobody knows is whether he will be content to become a role player and play on through 40 as the 5th best player on a contender. This is where the deferment and facilitation he is sometimes criticised for being willing to engage in could add an extra few years to the backend of his playing days. He'd have to take less money, play less minutes, etc and not be the #1 and we're only guessing when it comes to his willingness to do that.

Does he have another year like this? Maybe. Two? I doubt it. Three? No chance.

Advertisement