Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

purchase from ebay seller in USA

Options
  • 24-10-2019 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience in buying a frame/bike through ebay from a US non business vendor. I'd like to help the seller along, make it as easy as possible for him from weight, customs clearance, insurance etc

Presumably its 23% VAT and whatever customs rate on the value of the frame at point of entry, even if second hand. the base cost of the frame even with all the taxes, insurance and costs could still represent significant overall value

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Has anyone experience in buying a frame/bike through ebay from a US non business vendor. I'd like to help the seller along, make it as easy as possible for him from weight, customs clearance, insurance etc

Presumably its 23% VAT and whatever customs rate on the value of the frame at point of entry, even if second hand. the base cost of the frame even with all the taxes, insurance and costs could still represent significant overall value

That would be a terrible nice "gift" for a non registered business friend to send you ;)

It will probably be very expensive to ship though I've shipped a few things from the states and the prices were steep.

You could try these guys https://www.myus.com/ or if the seller boxes up and brings it to a post office they'll arrange shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All the person selling does is put it in a box and ship it to you. You have to sort out the customs and duties when it's delivered to you, or before delivery with some companies.

Writing gift makes no difference. The tax and duties are due on nearly all imports and putting a low value on the package just means that you will be under insured, they can open the package and if its undervalued they will value it themselves. Who ships a cheap item from the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Specifically, duty is paid on the entire cost of getting the frame to your door (ie. frame price, shipping, insurance etc). Then there is 23%VAT on the entire cost thus far (ie. frame price, shipping, insurance, customs duty etc).

Example (assuming* customs duty at 13%):
    Frame cost| $250
    Shipping| $100
    Insurance| $50
    Total USD| $400
    EUR| €359.36
    Customs duty on €359| €46.72
    SubTotal| €406
    VAT@23% on €406| €93.40
    Total| €499.40

*With no idea of what the real customs duty is...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When i last bought from a seller in the US i paid the duty and vat up front through the global delivery program

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Borderfox wrote: »
    When i last bought from a seller in the US i paid the duty and vat up front through the global delivery program

This is what I thought needed to happen.

I’ve asked the seller to check this out. He lists international delivery but must be a newbie himself. Slight doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement