Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Replacement

Options
  • 24-10-2019 9:38am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right - haven't done this before but it needs replacing after almost 3500kms.

Looking at CycleSuperStore.ie, they stock Shimano and Sram - is one better that the other? Will Shimano chains be better with Shimano drive components?
    Am I better off getting a different brand of chain?

Any other advice on replacing it?

Bike is an Orbea Orca M30 with Shimano 105 R7000 11-30t 11-Speed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Get a Campagnolo 11sp Potenza or Chorus chain. The best chains there are and you don't have to use the specific joining pin. A quick link works just as well.
    And yes it will work with Shimano or SRAM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm a bit hard on chains due to a fair bit of gravel riding and usually replace twice a year on average on both bikes. Cheap SRAM PC1130 work well for me at a very reasonable price. Only niggle is the 11 speed powerlink can be a pain to fit so I carry a looser spare 10 speed link for roadside emergencies which also works well enough.

I used to run chorus chains on my veloce based road bike and they are a fantastic chain, hadn't realised they also work with shimano.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

koutoubia wrote: »
    Get a Campagnolo 11sp Potenza or Chorus chain. The best chains there are and you don't have to use the specific joining pin. A quick link works just as well.

Out of curiosity, what makes these chains the best there are?

G1032 wrote: »
    Its Campagnolo.
    Thats all thats needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FACT: as you pedal, shimano chains make a sound like the melody that 'general lee' (the car from the dukes of hazzard, for younger viewers) makes, but campagnolo chains play the 'just one cornetto' melody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

koutoubia wrote: »

The new shimano chains come with a quick link as opposed to a pin

Shimano CN-HG600-11 Is what ships with the R7000
    https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-sil-tec-chain?variant=26198162505&dfw_tracker=27919-26198162505&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxC0ocPowv8wyLoDcou1Q--wVf7An9c9w869F7oREi6k6nxJdqOYEO0aAnNzEALw_wcB

https://www.marreybikes.com/chains/3560-shimano-cn-hg600-11-hg-x-11-105-11-speed-chain-116-links.html

What I meant was that Campagnolo chains come with a pin that in typical Campagnolo fashion you need to buy an expensive tool to install it.
    I dont use the pins just a quick link and it's no issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

G1032 wrote: »

I used the 10sp chorus chains on my old bike (veloce triple group) as they shifted better and were less prone to front mech rub. Bevelled edges and thinner than the equivalent KMC.

Of course I could have just been imagining it, but they certainly felt better.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pulled into Staggs in Lucan on my way home last night and they supplied & fitted a Shram chain.
    Not sure of the model but it will do for the winter.

Advertisement