Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion to choose your neighbours

Options
  • 24-10-2019 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1238968766287064&id=1077478322436110

A motion is to be put to Limerick City and County Council to consult residents of council estates before movingin new residents from bad areas - on a family by family basis. This is in response to severe antisocial behaviour by some such families that were moved as part of the urban regeneration scheme.

It's not the first time such an idea has come up but I think it's the first time someone has actually tried to bring it into effect. Obviously the issue they are looking to address is real and significant, but the suggested approach is a bit bizarre. The problem is a failing on the part of the judicial system, for one reason or another. Proper policing and proper punishment is what stops this - as has been demonstrated in villages in Limerick where the exact same issue has already been successfully ended.

I guess it's a nonsense populist move without any belief in it actually going through. Then again PJ Carey didn't believe he was going to be elected, but then he was. At the time he was elected they couldn't find him as he was in a takeaway in his tracksuit, having decided he wasn't going to get in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Could make a cool reality TV show out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps a lie detector test in the local community hall with questions asked by an audience of their potential neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This was done if I remember correctly in ballymun post regeneration , people could object to neighbours I believe the system was abused .

Advertisement