Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HARD DRICE CACHE

Options
  • 24-10-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

HARD DRIVE PROBLEM
    Video is my hobby.
    i am having trouble when rendering video, as an error warning -164 memory Size Error- tells me I have run out of memory. I have 14Gb of RAM but I've been told that it may be the Hard Drive Cache memory that is a problem.

- I have an HP 8200 running Windows7 and to date I've had no problems.
    - I've rendered many timelines with more than 90 minutes on the timeline. But
    now I'm lucky if I can get it to render 2 minutes before the error message
    appears and I can't go any further.
    - The C:/ Hard drive is a 1.0 T WD Sata with 64MB Cache.
    - My second drive is a Samsung 1.0 T
    - In addition I have several USB Flash Drives that I use for storage, but I only
    connect them as required. They are not permantly plugged in.

i've tried disconnecting all USB devices and even the second drive, but it made no difference.

My question is ;
    - What exactly does a cache do ?
    - Can I correct the fault myself ?
    - and if so, how?

I have over 7 months work on my C:/ drive where I'm almost at the end of a Family Geneology project. I've saved what I can to another USB drive but unfortunately I can't afford to lose anything (28 minutes) that is already on the timeline and this cant be moved.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my request.

Gleisweiler

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02980819
    You had 14 GB RAM, check again
    164-MemorySize Error - Memory amount has changed since the last boot (memory added or removed).
    Some of RAM sticks could be faulty/failing, try re-seat them one-by-one

14 GB is sort of odd number, what is it? 8+4+2 mishmash.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gleisweiler

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The original memory was 12gb. 4gbX2 + 2Mg X 2 = 12gb. I thought it may be one or more of the modules that may not be seated properly, so after I checked that they were seating properly, I went to buy 4Gb X 4 and intended to replace all of them to give me 16Mg, just in case one or more modules were faulty. But I was only able to find one 4Mb module (I live in rural Ireland) so until I go to Dublin this weekend that will be the setup.

After inserting and checking the new module, I then had 14GB of ram and I tried to render it again. This time it rendered for 6.27 minutes (previously only 2 minutes before stopping and the dreaded message telling me that the memory was too low appeared.

I'm at a loss, but I still intend to replace the modules to get to 16Gb. in the hope that it will allow me the full rendering time. If there is no improvement I will seriously have to consider replacing the Hard Drive, but I will lose valuable information about my family history that took me months to source. I've saved what I can to another external HD so I'll take it from there when I get the new modules.

Thanks once againSmuggler.

You not suppose to mishmash RAM like this.

HP 8200 specs - is this your PC?
    Give full model number

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gleisweiler

Yes I do own this PC.

Product No: XY150ET#ABU
    I bought the PC from an insurance company IT section who were downsizing.
    The project number is the one on the PC but I purchased, downloaded and installed Win7 several months ago on a new HD. The previous one was only 500Gb and was becoming too small for the amount of project files and programmes I was working on so I purchased a 1T drive, which is the one I'm having the problem with.

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue/item/HP+Compaq+Elite+8200+-+Core+i5+2400+3.1+GHz/P116872P?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-compaq-8200-elite-microtower-pc/5037940/model/5037944/product-info?sku=XY150ET

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02778024
    "2.3.4 System MemoryThese systems implement a dual-channel Double Data Rate (DDR3) memory architecture. All models support DDR3 1333-MHz (PC3-10600) and 1066-MHz (PC3-8500) memory modules. The CMT, MT, and SFF form factors provide four UDIMM sockets and support a maximum of 16 gigabytes of memory. The USDT form factor provides two SODIMM sockets and supports up to eight gigabytes of memory"

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?model=70736&deviceType=2&mfr=HEW&line=Elite

So you looking for preferably DDR3 1333-MHz (PC3-10600), can go 1066-MHz (PC3-8500), preferably don't mix, if you use 1333 and 1066, system will downgrade to 1066. Anything outside this range is considered no compatible.
    Some like this kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If there is no improvement I will seriously have to consider replacing the Hard Drive

There is nothing in the above to suggest its a drive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mixing random sticks of ram that are not running in dual channel is not ideal and it's also possible that the new stick is faulty, or the ram bank being used is faulty, or whatever. The easiest solution, if your pc supports ram modules of 8gb, is just buy a 2x8gb compatible kit and keep the messing and guesswork to a minimum. For now just take out everything except 2x4gb running in dual channel and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

but I will lose valuable information about my family history that took me months to source.

Why? Do you not have a backup?

Advertisement