Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 Passat weird electrical issue #advice

• 24-10-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to resolve a weird electrical issue with my 2006 Passat.
    Parked the car up briefly yesterday, came back and noticed that the remote power locking hadn't kicked in.
    Got in, put the key in the ignition and yellow the power steering reduced warning light briefly came on but not other lights on the dash.
    Car also wouldn't start, dead as a Dodo.
    However the interior lights and the sound system works.
    Check battery connections and fuses but they all seem OK on visual inspection.
    Wondering if anyone here has come across this before and has any helpful hints on what to do?
    Thanks.

E.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The electronic steering column lock is a common fault on those and would give those symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Battery is knackered I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sounds like comfort control module. Pretty expensive fix if it is, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Try changing the battery. I had a lot of sudden electric problems with my Passat a few years back that we’re all sorted by changing the battery, happened around the same time of year too, weather started to get colder and the engine needed a bit more to start. Failing that, I’d start with a scan, plenty of copies of vagcom knocking about.

There is also a relay that cuts power to different modules when cranking that would also give similar symptoms, they can give problems too but I can’t remember which one it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Not sure if that generation of Passat still had the blocked plenum drains/water problem?

Something else to check maybe.

Mine gave all sorts of weird problems because the module was sitting in water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Blocked drains was the 2000-2005 years.

Sounds like steering column lock alright.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Advertisement