Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of working hours pattern

Options
  • 24-10-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Ok looking for advice. Currently working 8-4 day shift for last 10 years. Contract also states hours 8-4. I also go in 1 hour early which I get time and a half for so I work 44 hours. I've been offered a pay rise with more responsibilities but they want to change my hours from either 8-5 or 7-4. Here's my issue, I lose money if I do this. Can they change my hours? Also if I turn down the position can my hours be changed or would they have to offer to buy my current contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

7276887e wrote: »
    Ok looking for advice. Currently working 8-4 day shift for last 10 years. Contract also states hours 8-4. I also go in 1 hour early which I get time and a half for so I work 44 hours. I've been offered a pay rise with more responsibilities but they want to change my hours from either 8-5 or 7-4. Here's my issue, I lose money if I do this. Can they change my hours? Also if I turn down the position can my hours be changed or would they have to offer to buy my current contract?

Right now they’ve offered you a job and it’s pretty straight forward, you either want it or you don’t.
    If you decline the offer and then they try to insist that you take it, by letting you know, in writing, that you will be starting on these new terms and conditions in two weeks, then you must respond and say that you are objecting to this and you will be making a complaint to the WRC under the Terms and Conditions of Employment Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

splinter65 wrote: »
    Right now they’ve offered you a job and it’s pretty straight forward, you either want it or you don’t.
    If you decline the offer and then they try to insist that you take it, by letting you know, in writing, that you will be starting on these new terms and conditions in two weeks, then you must respond and say that you are objecting to this and you will be making a complaint to the WRC under the Terms and Conditions of Employment Act.

Your separating the new job from the hours of the new job and that’s inappropriate.

They hours of the new job are clear.
    If your interested in the new job doing the new hours then take it and change your hours.
    If the new hours are a problem then the new job isn’t for you OP.

Your including the OT in your comparison of the two pay rates which isn’t the right way to look at it.

Maybe negotiate better pay for the new position would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 7276887e

Ok so what happens if I decide I'm not interested in taking the job but they still want to change my hours? Probably should have asked this first

_Brian wrote: »
    Your separating the new job from the hours of the new job and that’s inappropriate.

They hours of the new job are clear.
    If your interested in the new job doing the new hours then take it and change your hours.
    If the new hours are a problem then the new job isn’t for you OP.

Your including the OT in your comparison of the two pay rates which isn’t the right way to look at it.

Maybe negotiate better pay for the new position would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

7276887e wrote: »
    Ok so what happens if I decide I'm not interested in taking the job but they still want to change my hours? Probably should have asked this first

If they give you sufficient notice you are expected to comply.
    Typically 30days would be accepted as sufficient time for a change when an employee has been working a pattern for a period of time. You might be able to make a case to extend this notice but you can’t dictate which hours you work, employers have the right to change your hours provided they give reasonable notice.

Edit: I just noticed you said it’s in your contract.
    In that case it cannot he changed without your convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If you turn down new job and keep your current position but they still want to change hours then it all depends on what your contact says, most contracts will have a clause where it states hours can change depending on operational circumstances but certain notice has to be given if working hours were to change.

• Advertisement

Yes it's in my contract and has been for approx 10 years
    _Brian wrote: »
    If they give you sufficient notice you are expected to comply.
    Typically 30days would be accepted as sufficient time for a change when an employee has been working a pattern for a period of time. You might be able to make a case to extend this notice but you can’t dictate which hours you work, employers have the right to change your hours provided they give reasonable notice.

Edit: I just noticed you said it’s in your contract.
    In that case it cannot he changed without your convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

You say you work 1 hour overtime from 7-8, is that "voluntary" ? In the sense have you decided it suits you and like the extra money or have you been asked to come in early ? Does this happen every day ?

My guess is someone in finance/accounts has noticed and realised this doesnt make sense if its an ongoing thing as its costing the company money! Overtime should be when required and approved by manager in most cases and not become part of the 'normal' working week. I know there are exceptions in certain job and roles.....

I would guess if you dont accept the new role there is a possibility that the overtime will be stopped and you will be asked to just work normal 8-4 unless there are specific needs for overtime.

The hour early is due to the fact that there is a night shift finishing. It wasnt directly asked but all supervisors do and have been told we can do it. Normally a day shift is basically 8-5 but some are 8-4. I'm presuming it was an error in people's contracts. I remember when I first moved from shifts I asked if I had to do 8-4 or 8-5 and was told continue 8-4. My contract then had this in it. Since then I've moved positions twice but always had 8-4 in my contract. Also I'm one of the only people doing these hours for that amount of time. Approx 10 years.

DriveSkill wrote: »
    You say you work 1 hour overtime from 7-8, is that "voluntary" ? In the sense have you decided it suits you and like the extra money or have you been asked to come in early ? Does this happen every day ?

My guess is someone in finance/accounts has noticed and realised this doesnt make sense if its an ongoing thing as its costing the company money! Overtime should be when required and approved by manager in most cases and not become part of the 'normal' working week. I know there are exceptions in certain job and roles.....

I would guess if you dont accept the new role there is a possibility that the overtime will be stopped and you will be asked to just work normal 8-4 unless there are specific needs for overtime.

Advertisement