Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this, found in chicken?

Options
  • 24-10-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Spatchcocked chicken, was Ante or post mortem? NB it's the little white thing, not the phone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Oops, cannot figure out how to how to post picture. We're eating the bird in 30 mins so asuming I survive will try again with the picture - it's like a rawlplug with a blue head, found in the upper breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've seen those in expensive chickens.
    It pops out when it's cooked.
    It's a pop up thermometer?

Was it embedded in the top?

41Jk09fRXML.jpg

tada!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4nv3piBlrLrcXBiTzBLMFdkQ0QxTFNERzRQaS1uNXV3Y1Rz/view?usp=sharing

(it's the small white thing, not the phone. which is included for scale and was not found in the chicken)

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I've seen those in expensive chickens.
    It pops out when it's cooked.
    It's a pop up thermometer?

Was it embedded in the top?

41Jk09fRXML.jpg

Oh yeah, that makes sense - so it was actually added value as opposed to accidental hazard. Good job because I am starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never seen that before, where did you buy it? I'd have thought there'd be some explanation of what it was on the packaging somewhere, no?

• Advertisement

Local butcher.
    Yeah I'm going to have a chat - with added Paddington hard stare.
    Ffs, judging the doneness of a chicken is not rocket science and is the responsibilityof the cook. Not someone or thing on an assembly line implementing a probabilistic measure.
    And haven't started on pointless one use plastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A lot of butchers will give you one of those, especially when you're buying a turkey. They're ingenious - the coloured bit pops up when the bird is cooked. They've been around for decades but they disappeared for a while.

Advertisement