Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird oven problem

Options
  • 24-10-2019 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi, I'm having trouble with an oven that's not heating up fully.

Test: turn it on to 250 fan. it starts to heat up and fan is working
    1.when it gets to about 170 degrees it starts to struggle.
    2. stays at that temp for a bit (actually at 170, I have an oven thermometer in the oven)
    3."heating" light stays on.
    4.if I turn the temperature dial down it turns off when it should and turns on again when I turn it up.
    4.THEN after about 5-10 minutes of 170(dial at 250) there's a click and it stops heating and the "heating "light goes off, the other "cooker is turned on" light stays on.
    5. If I turn the temp dial down after this it still clicks at the correct temp
    6. After a while (~15min) something clicks and it goes back to doing what it did before.

Any ideas?

From the above I'm thinking it's not the thermostat, but if the element is blown should it be heating at all?
    Could the element be damaged but struggling and what happens in no.4 is some kind if safety cutoff?

(I've posted this in home appliances...but things seem pretty quiet over there. Hope it's ok to post this here too?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I don't know.

Could you advise the age and make of the appliance?

Did this suddenly happen or did you notice some change (gradually perhaps)?

Is the appliance located in a rural location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The first thing I'd suspect is the stat. Elements gone just stop heating at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Could there be 2 sperate elements for the oven? With one gone it could struggle to get to higher temperature but still operate correctly at lower temperature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Even if it was 2 elements, it would still reach temp, just slower.

Assumptions are being made that the oven is not actually heating above 170 based on an oven thermometer. That itself might be reading incorrectly.

The stat seems to function as if the oven is heating properly. And if the oven light is staying on after the oven actually reaches 170 but the oven thermometer stops showing an increase, I'd say the oven is in fact still getting hotter until stat set point is reached, which appears to be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Hi folks, thanks for the feedback.

Extra info. The oven is about 10 years old and is a very basic model. It's in a place that was a rental property and is now an airbnb - so it's had a decent amount of use but is generally pretty good for its age. Hard to say exactly when this started, but I believe it's very recent - it's worked fine when tested previously. Location is rural-ish(curious why this matters?). Oven is single-element and can only be used in fan.

Oven thermometer is new and when used in another oven it gave expected results.

I did some further digging.

*I agree now that it's not the element.

*On taking the back off I found that the thermal cut-off was showing a lot of scorching.

*I bypassed the thermal cut-off, turned it on and it heats up past 170.
    *When temp is set to 250, it heats to 280. When set to 180, it heats to 200.
    * I have two theories, either:
    1. the stat is faulty allowing the oven to heat up too much. (Maybe)Someone recently tried to use the oven at 250, which heated the oven to 280 and tripped the cut-off. This was repeated a couple of times and the cut-off was damaged and started cutting off at 170.
    2. That the fan isn't working as well as it should (it looks fine, but who knows) causing the casing to heat up much more than it should for a given oven temperature and triggering the cut-off.

TBH, it's looking like a new cooker. If it's the stat then I need to replace that and the cut-off. But it might not be that and I might have to replace the fan too (and possibly the cut-off again). So we're talking at least €900 in new parts, up to another €100 on top of that if my guess is wrong.
    I don't think it's worth it for a 10 year old cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

just replace the (toc) most likely your oven is overheating by 20 degrees for a long time, 20d isn't crucial except for long periods of cooking say up to 3 to 4 hours, most ovens can be out + or - 10degrees without any problems, just in case the speed of the fan motor is slowing when hot spray some wd 40 or equivalent on the motor shaft to remove any grease etc

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

The question about a possible rural location, that I asked - I was just wondering if there may have been an issue with low voltage
    Seems not

Advertisement