Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tetrasodium pyrophosphate in toothpaste

• 24-10-2019 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Greetings dental folk

Trying to choose between toothpastes, I'd like to get an idea of whether the anti-tartar(calculus) agent tetrasodium pyrophosphate might inhibit enamel remineralisation (with calcium and phosphate from saliva) as an (unwanted) side effect, or does it just reduce mineralisation of the nasty bacterial biofilm? Please excuse my weak grasp of the chemistry of the situation :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just get any non abrasive fluoride containing toothpaste and concentrate on brushing technique.

Any of the above chemistry, while super impressive and sure to attract a mate, is of theoretical benefit or deleterious effect.

Cleaning your teeth is a mechanical process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Just get any non abrasive fluoride containing toothpaste and concentrate on brushing technique.

Any of the above chemistry, while super impressive and sure to attract a mate, is of theoretical benefit or deleterious effect.

Cleaning your teeth is a mechanical process.
    Thanks. Re abrasiveness: that's another thing I'd be worried about, rightly or wrongly - good for cleaning, but increases enamel wear long-term?

Advertisement