Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone familiar with SIRO Facade Consent Form

• 24-10-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Consumer Issues but here goes.

My (elderly) Dad has signed a SIRO Facade Consent Form yesterday. A rep came to his door and (thinking it was the ESB meter reader) he answered and agreed to sign. He is in the middle of a terrace of four houses.

I can't say he didn't exactly know what he was signing, but once he heard fibre and that it wouldn't cost him anything he didn't question it too much. However, he (and all his neighbours) already have eir Fibre so it's unlikely they'll change or are desperate for Siro to arrive.

He seems to have agreed to "Install MST Unit or Window Box on building" and the general consent is that SIRO can run and attach a fibre cable across the facade at the front of the property...

I'm really uncomfortable with this for a couple of reasons. First, a rep came about 6 months ago (when I was at the house) and we politely said No. Secondly and more importantly, the house has external wall insulation so if there's risk of drilling holes etc this might render the insulation useless. In principle, I also think this is a downright sleazy way to do business.

So I'm looking for advice I guess. Does anyone know what this might physically involve in terms of his house? Also, does anyone know if a cooling off period might apply like a door-to-door salesman type scenario?

I don't want to ring the rep directly but I'm going to try to escalate within Siro/Consumer Affairs if we have any leg to stand on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I suspect it may be something like the box posted in the following image.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110091512&postcount=5914

I've no idea about the cooling-off period if one even exists. A refusal by you may mean other neighbours might not be able to get the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 TLF

Thanks navi for the quick reply - that photo is very helpful.

But good God it looks a mess. There are no visible cables on Dad's house at the moment, so it will definitely affect the look and feel if it's anything like that. However it's hard to tell from the photo if that box is drilled on or not.

I know it sounds harsh but the neighbours are not the biggest concern. As I said it's only a block of 4 who already have eir Fibre.

It's about the house but also the T&Cs of the contract which seem quite fierce - i.e. basically giving access to SIRO in perpetuity to the property and releasing them from any liability around accidental damage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I suspect it would have to be drilled on so you are going to have to make it clear that there is external insulation in place. They are very reluctant to drill into such walls in installation jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I don't really understand what the fuss is all about. For the longest time people have been banging on about lack of internet infrastructure in this country. Finally, when providers are attempting to implement their solutions you come across stuff like this. Sometimes you just need to get over the sense of entitlement and move on. Making a fuss of such things may result in some of the neighbours getting denied access to an important piece of infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

degsie wrote: »
    I don't really understand what the fuss is all about. For the longest time people have been banging on about lack of internet infrastructure in this country. Finally, when providers are attempting to implement their solutions you come across stuff like this. Sometimes you just need to get over the sense of entitlement and move on. Making a fuss of such things may result in some of the neighbours getting denied access to an important piece of infrastructure.

How is it a sense of entitlement.

People have the right to refuse access to their property if they so wish especially if there's a possibility of damage to insulation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 TLF

Navi thanks again for your help. I spoke with the rep today and he explained how it's going to be installed and there's no risk to the installation so we're good to go ahead.

degsie I agree completely with pizzahead. Referring to this as a sense of entitlement is akin to victim blaming. I can't believe anyone would think that giving a commercial enterprise such huge legal entitlement to their property is anything less than a big deal. I've already explained how Dad's neighbours will not be impacted - in our case the only beneficiary from this will be Siro and their affiliates.

If you've been negatively impacted by your neighbours' decisions to refuse Siro then your frustration is somewhat understandable, but if you are accusing them of a sense of entitlement beyond your keyboard then it's probably not helping your case...

I still think Siro are going about this in an appalling way by door-stepping people. They should really be sending letters and information packs and it would cause a lot less anxiety all round - especially for elderly or vulnerable people who could feel pressured by the approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Glad it's sorted now. We can all sleep tonight.

Advertisement