Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman 1984

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

"I wish all you irish bastards would get sent back to where you came from".

How did this racist comment make the final edit?????

Why not go the whole way and have a sign no blacks, no irish, no dogs in a B&B instead having it in a cafe. Wouldnt want to offend BLM or someone of indian, Pakistan or the muslim community but its ok for us paddies, we are a great bunch of lads.

The film is utter ****e, Galdot has the screen presence of a brussel sprout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

omerin wrote: »

That scene was set in 1984 England so that would have been pretty authentic to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

Correct but why use it, why not an example i mentioned or an african American in the US or a Wall St stock broker and a homeless guy ...... There is a lot of changes in film, literature, arts, a lot of "white washing" of history as a result of the black community highlighting and they are sensitive and rightly so as to what has happened in the past and want change.
    You could go to the extreme and look at the scene and could argue that the irish guy represented the ira when he wished violence on the English woman.
    It was a pointless throwaway scene that shouldn't have been included in an awful film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

First 20 minutes give totally Superman 1 vibes and really well executed, score amazing, rest of the film good superhero flick and the ending was a refreshing relief to the usual grand smash-no-clue-what-is happening-cgi-show down...... Now the end credit scene made me jizz my pants so on the whole, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I found this film awful tbh. Some rare moments of note during the film but on a whole this was, for me, just awful to watch and I couldn’t wait for it to end.

It was just a real disappointment tbh. I had loved the first film but this one just never got going for me.

3/10 rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I really liked the Donner / Reeve Superman tone of the first half because it felt quite refreshing after the murky darkness of the recent DC Batman / Superman movies.

I also liked how this actually felt smaller-scale compared to the first movie, especially in the third act. They resisted the normal approach for superhero sequels of trying to go bigger than the previous movie. My biggest criticism of the first WW movie was that the ending was an big CGI mess and they largely avoided that here.
    The final conflict was a battle of emotion and willpower rather than explosions and fantastical destructive powers.

It is a little too long though and the final fight between Diana and Barbara wasn't very impressive. I kept thinking of Michelle Pfeiffer's Selina Kyle when watching Barbara throughout the movie.

I liked it overall, I'd give it 4/5

I also liked how this actually felt smaller-scale compared to the first movie, especially in the third act.

Smaller scale, how? Everyone on the planet was involved/affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Why not go the whole way and have a sign no blacks, no irish, no dogs in a B&B instead having it in a cafe. Wouldnt want to offend BLM or someone of indian, Pakistan or the muslim community but its ok for us paddies, we are a great bunch of lads.

The film is utter ****e, Galdot has the screen presence of a brussel sprout

Yep found that to be pretty ridiculous myself. What was the point of it.....

...Galdot has the screen presence of a brussel sprout

I agree with you on your overall assessment of the movie. But, I don't think many will agree with you when it comes to Gal Gadot. She has huge screen presence. If it wasn't for her I'd have happily walked out of the film. She is the perfect WW. And you cannot fault her for the movie, that's down to the script writer, director, and possibly the producers for greenlighting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really enjoyed that I have to say.
    Gal Gadot has grown into the role imo.
    I will say it is really over long and some of the CGI is very poor in places
    the cheetah character especially
    some of the other parts feel a bit weightless if you know what I mean.
    Really enjoyed Kristen Wiig but Pedro Pascal was probably the standout.
    7.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Loved it. 9 out of 10 for me. I may be in the minority but it connected with me deeply on two separate character beats - one the idea of saying goodbye to a loved one for a second time. And two the idea of raising a child being this massively scary thing that you’re afraid of ****ing up constantly, and then somehow they love you anyway no matter what. Also loved that it ends with a battle for the heart and not some pointless villain fight.

I watched this in a dark room, phone off, as close to cinema experience as possible. I suspect a lot of people will have watched it with a lot of distractions. I dunno whether that makes a difference but I think it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I haven't watched the film yet but scrolling through the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, they really need to sort out limiting their access again.

Be it positive or negative every second review is from some nobody blogger. Given the importance that so many people put on the "RTometer" (and there are, check out any American fan forum and you'll see threads dedicated to the meter), it really is incredible giving such sway to amateur hour reviewers.

It's only this genre as well and similar tentpole films that they'll bother writing a review on which leads to a ludicrous review count compared to most other genres. That most of all just shows the difference between a professional and amateur. Look at Mark Kermode for example, who like any other person has his favoured genres but will happily take on the responsibility to apply his critique to any film being released in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

First bit of old superman style got me hyped up thinkin to myself this is good, but oh my god what a let down. First wonder woman was prob the best dc movie made towards man of steel ,batman v supes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Yeah, think I'm gonna avoid this thread until I've seen the film. Too many spoilers untagged. :rolleyes:

Smaller scale, how? Everyone on the planet was involved/affected.

Smaller scale in terms of the visual spectacle on screen but not necessarily the impact of the villain's plan.

Smaller scale in terms of the visual spectacle on screen but not necessarily the impact of the villain's plan.

The best way I’ve seen it put is that was an internalised conflict - people had to understand and change what was inside them - rather than some externalised danger - a space army or a portal or a destructive bad guy (like Aries in the first film).

I think *that* is what made it far smaller scale for me in a way that I really enjoyed. It also just made for a more satisfying and interesting resolution imo - it was an emotional battle rather than a physical one.

I guess I can see why people might hate that but I though it was an excellent approach.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The best way I’ve seen it put is that was an internalised conflict - people had to understand and change what was inside them - rather than some externalised danger - a space army or a portal or a destructive bad guy (like Aries in the first film).

I think *that* is what made it far smaller scale for me in a way that I really enjoyed. It also just made for a more satisfying and interesting resolution imo - it was an emotional battle rather than a physical one.

I guess I can see why people might hate that but I though it was an excellent approach.

Yes, I agree. I wonder was that influenced by the common criticism of the over-the-top fight with Aries at the end of the first movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gal Gadot is absolutely fantastic as Wonder Woman, Kristen Wiig seems to play the same kind of character in everything but wasn't really feeling her character until
    She made the wish
    . Pascel Pedro was very good, thought he do an excellent job. Parts of the start have a real Spiderman feel with all the swinging around, some nice nods to characters and objects from the first Wonder Woman film. As for the
    Irish comment
    it was the 80s in England so you'd expect that. I expected more 80s from it maybe they didn't want to go down the nostalgia route but overall found it enjoyable but not as good as the first Wonder Woman. I did like the appearance from
    Lynda Carter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I will have to see this.

Big Wonder Woman fan here - since I was a kid and the original 1970s TV series with Lynda Carter was re-run for the first time. :)

The WW film with Gal Gadot was superb, and the trailers for this one look promising. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

JupiterKid wrote:
    Big Wonder Woman fan here - since I was a kid and the original 1970s TV series with Lynda Carter was re-run for the first time.

This is also on HBO MAX if anyone is interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

What did i just watch? I love a good superhero film but i'm speechless..

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I will have to see this.

Big Wonder Woman fan here - since I was a kid and the original 1970s TV series with Lynda Carter was re-run for the first time. :)

May I recommend sticking around for the mid-credits scene in that case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Good God this is sh*te. Too long. The acting was certainly back in the 80’s. Then the Irish racist comment that came out of no where, well it came out of the 80’s but still. Besides that, really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭The Phantom Pain

Watched it now. WB is dumb enough to force those from the UK to wait until January and seeing as spoilers are out there I wasn’t going to risk any more by waiting. So yeah, screw you WB.

What I will say is this:
    I am someone who is able to suspend their belief very easy especially for sci fi/superhero /fantasy films. People often have to point out to me plot holes or logic flaws in narratives ...but Wonder Woman 84 is taking the mick lol
    The entire invisible jet sequence made no sense. Like, if the outside is invisible then wouldn't the inside have to be invisible…yet it wasn't?

How does going invisible keep them off the radar sensors? Is that how radar sensors work i.e. purely visual?

There is no way Steve would be able to pilot a plane in the 80s...planes have developed since the early 1900s so you'd need entirely new training for that.

How did Cheetah get a second wish? I thought the plot established you can only have one?

The trade for the wish is your “most valuable possession” but Maxwell Lord was taking things that may not necessarily be someone's most valuable possession.
    It may be valuable to him but not to the person he is taking it from.

And um, I’m pretty sure that Wonder Woman raped a man....

Despite all that, I enjoyed it but on a purely superficial level. I liked the Maxwell Lord scenes and the general acting. Some of cinematography and score music were gorgeous but then I'd expect no less from Zimmer.

The action sequences were quite poor though. The cheetah fight scene was obviously shot at night/made to look like it takes place at night to hide dodgy CGI, though I thought the CGI for her looked fine for what it was.

One last thing:
    Correct but why use it, why not an example i mentioned or an african American in the US or a Wall St stock broker and a homeless guy ...... There is a lot of changes in film, literature, arts, a lot of "white washing" of history as a result of the black community highlighting and they are sensitive and rightly so as to what has happened in the past and want change.
    You could go to the extreme and look at the scene and could argue that the irish guy represented the ira when he wished violence on the English woman.
    It was a pointless throwaway scene that shouldn't have been included in an awful film

I’m sorry but I literally lol’d reading this. I know you think it's important and I don't want to come across as callous but... the Irish comment is nowhere near on the scale of how black people are portrayed in cinema. The first Hollywood film ever was literal propaganda against black people. Most films today featuring black people are through the lens of oppression (that is when not being portrayed as criminals or buffoons) and we never get to see historical films about black people pre slavery which is fascinating if you've read up on it. It’s not merely being sensitive, there is a literally data supporting the concerns of the, eh, “black community”. The Irish comment was trivial by comparison. You’ll live, I think…

People are being weird about the Irish people line - it was clearly *supposed to be* something hateful and racist! It’s not like it was put in there for laughs, it happens in the midst of a bunch of other horrible ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Just finished not terrible but forgettable just like most superhero stuff these days IMO this would have been a better movie all round if it was just under 2hours a needlessly long movie of what is such a simple ridiculous story even the simpsons covered it in a 10mintue Halloween special from 1991 hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

I will have to see this.

The WW film with Gal Gadot was superb, and the trailers for this one look promising. :D

This was a massive letdown compared to the first WW movie. Was really looking forward to it but it actually borders on ridiculous at times :(

But in regards to Lynda Carter, don’t look up spoilers, you’re in for a treat, really wasn’t expecting it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched the first WW movie and the new one back to back and whist the first one is far superior I did enjoy WW84, I did like seeing Steve Trevor make a comeback in this as I do like the love story between them. Pedro Pascal & Kristen Wig made decent enough villains. So not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Didn't really hit the spot for me, was ok not great some of the cgi was terrible, some of her running and jumping parts was just flailing arms and legs. Also the part with the kids and it's obviously 2 dolls rolling around, like something out of team america.

I'll wait on the synder cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

I will have to see this.

Your gonna like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

mightyreds wrote: »
    Didn't really hit the spot for me, was ok not great some of the cgi was terrible, some of her running and jumping parts was just flailing arms and legs. Also the part with the kids and it's obviously 2 dolls rolling around, like something out of team america.

I'll wait on the synder cut.

Huh there is no synder cut he’s not involved in this movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

Just finished it. It definitely could be trimmed, but I actually might have enjoyed this more than the first, and I thought the first was just okay.

Definitely some Donner Superman vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Silly fun. I enjoyed most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was a passable film but felt too much like a Superman movie to be honest even in as much like it was actually made in 1984 with the weak story and terrible CGI

The villain of the story was a totally weak villain - no Gene Hackman

Was looking forward to it after the first one but not that satisfied with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it not terrible, didnt hate it but the effects are bad especially the cable/cgi stuff, made for TV movie stuff. As the movie went on the whole mcguffin plot made less and less sense. Wiig's character didnt work, contrived, I guess to have fight scenes in the movie. There are more plot holes in the flight scenes than swiss cheese.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

biggebruv wrote: »
    Huh there is no synder cut he’s not involved in this movie

utzTCyo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

Damn the soundtrack will be epic

This post is from a year ago.

It was not epic, I don't remember a single track after watching it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

pah wrote: »
    This post is from a year ago.

It was not epic, I don't remember a single track after watching it last night.

There was the amazing piece that sampled ‘Is she with you?’ during the car chase but it was ruined with WW rolling around with what was clearly 2 dolls. I laughed out loud at that point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Mixed bag for me. Really enjoyed the score and the performances( Pedro Pascals especially), the chemistry between Gadot and Pine was predictably great. I thought the premise had .... well promise, with Diana having to make the ultimate sacrifice
    and let Steve go by renouncing her wish
    . But it just didn't coalesce into a very good film, it was overlong, the effects weren't quite there especially when she ran, and the actions scenes weren't a patch on the first films.

On my phone so quoting a long post would be tough.

If it was a male super hero and
    he had sex with an inhabited female
    it would definitely have fallen foul of today's sensibilities. But because it was a beautiful woman and an
    inhabited
    male it's seen as a lot less creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

On my phone so quoting a long post would be tough.

If it was a male super hero and
    he had sex with an inhabited female
    it would definitely have fallen foul of today's sensibilities. But because it was a beautiful woman and an
    inhabited
    male it's seen as a lot less creepy.
    The whole Wonder Woman raped a man thing is all over the twitterverse at the moment, was a very odd way to approach bringing back Steve Trevor. He was being brought back by magic, why he needed a donor body is beyond me - disbelief is already suspended by that stage

Anyway, I got to see this in an iSense screen, and was really looking forward to it - really liked the original WW movie. Its a 5/10 movie for me - which is potentially on the generous side. I really didn't enjoy it, my wife hated it. Its cheesy on a Batman & Robin level. Some people enjoy that obviously, but theres no doubting that its a marmite movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Nice use of A Beautiful Lie from BvS in that it worked with the narrative.

Not so impressed with the use of John Murphy's delicious score. If they wanted to use music that already existed, why not just use Zimmers "Flight", would have been a nice nod to the DCU?

All in all, twas ok. As said before, the effects lacked, too long, and just didn't seem to flow well, seemed like a lot of jumps happening to get the trio together near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Watched it today on hbo max. Decided to leave it few days and watched in the morning to avoid US traffic load. Disappointed with it to be honest. Watched first one last night and feel it’s much better. Just dragged after opening scene and the whole thing just felt slow. I’ll have a look at reviews but I’d say maybe 3 out of 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

People are being weird about the Irish people line - it was clearly *supposed to be* something hateful and racist! It’s not like it was put in there for laughs, it happens in the midst of a bunch of other horrible ****.

It did seem quite jarring all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

First movie is far better but I didn't think this was terrible. Myself and my wife both enjoyed it for what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I liked it. Bit too long at 2 and a half hours but thankfully the typical DC movies hour long messy CGI battle sequence with crap flying everywhere and not a hope of actually following what's going on never happened. Good to see Wonder Woman back in the classic blue and red outfit rather than the drab brown potato sack job she was clad in for her other movie appearances. Somewhat disappointed they didn't go with the comic books resolution to Maxwell Lord's world takeover (
    In the Infinite Crisis series, Wonder Woman is forced to execute him in order to put an end to everything and the execution is broadcast worldwide, losing her the trust of Batman and Superman and the world in general
    ). All the actors involved did a good job I thought.

As DC movies go, it's way better than the average fare. (Obviously that's not saying much).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I doubt Patty will be left anywhere near the writing of this I actually expect her to be replaced with the excuse of scheduling conflicts.
    There are talks of the flash travelling back in time and rescuing Steve seconds before the plane blows up in the first movie and hiding him on the amazonian Island which will stop him aging that's one way they are thinking of how to bring Steve back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

So eh all the Irish are booted out of England in this timeline?
    that’s a plot hole not resolved. The wisher is either dead or wasn’t conscious to rescind her wish. Just our luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they were a couple ? husband and wife?

• Advertisement
Advertisement