Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kid injured at school - twice in just two weeks

Options
  • 25-10-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

We have have a situation where the child sustained an injury twice already in two weeks.
    The first time he fractured his toe and now has a splinter under his nail due to a poor chair.
    Is the school not supposed to call the ambulance in case of a reported injury?
    The teacher sees the injury and wraps a tissue around the finger. That's how you would treat yourself?
    They call me and let the child wait un the corridor until I can get to school.
    Is the school liable for his injury since it happened due to a poorly maintained chair?
    Just asking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wrong forum I'd say

But lol at Ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Call an ambulance for a fractured toe or a splinter under a nail!!! are you for real!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Axenti

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wrong forum I'd say

But lol at Ambulance

I'll happily move the post, if I can, to a more appropriate forum.
    Why would you laugh at the ambulance? If I'm out of town for the morning/day should the child not get treatment until I return?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've had this situation before, very similar, broken finger.

School called me - child was sitting with teacher in corridor, I brought child to hospital. Didn't see any issue with this.

And its not like A&E at Temple Street was rushing us through due to the urgency of it all.

Is school liable? I'm sure some lawyer will think so, but lets hope the post man doesn't trip on a twig walking up to your mailbox, then by the same logic you'll be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jesus!
    OP, you may be ever so slightly over-reacting, just a smidgen!
    We do how however live in a country where litigation is usually successful and aswell as Tarquin's sever injuries and mental trauma I am sure you could also claim for your PTSD.

tenor.gif?itemid=7523496

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Axenti wrote: »
    We have have a situation where the child sustained an injury twice already in two weeks.
    The first time he fractured his toe and now has a splinter under his nail due to a poor chair.
    The teacher sees the injury and wraps a tissue around the finger. That's how you would treat yourself?
    Is the school liable for his injury since it happened due to a poorly maintained chair?
    Just asking!

How did he fracture his toe ?

Seriously an ambulance ? I think they might have more important calls to look after !
    Take splinter out , use dis infectant and put on a bandage.

Liable.... This is what's wrong in this country at the minute.

Has your child never hurt himself at home ? Has he never hurt himself out playing with his friends. Has he never hurt himself at his friends houses?

You need to come back into town and pick up your child if he is injured.
    An ambulance is not neccesary for minor injuries. Totally inadequate use of scarce resources. Do you have no idea what pressure the ambulance service are under.
    Are you really suggesting calling an ambulance for a splinter! seriously?!
    It is not an emergency and the child shpuld not to attending an emergency department without a parent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Just asking!

Call the ambulance for a splinter? Did you think he needed to be put to bed while he waited for you/the ambulance? Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Axenti

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I've had this situation before, very similar, broken finger.

School called me - child was sitting with teacher in corridor, I brought child to hospital. Didn't see any issue with this.

And its not like A&E at Temple Street was rushing us through due to the urgency of it all.

Is school liable? I'm sure some lawyer will think so, but lets hope the post man doesn't trip on a twig walking up to your mailbox, then by the same logic you'll be liable.

I don't mean it that way! I believe I could definitely find a couple solicitors in our town within minutes that would be willing to go to court.
    Is the school not supposed to take care of the child while the child is attending school? If the parent/guardian is away doesn't it have the duty to get the treatment for the pupil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

An ambulance for a splinter? Ah would you stop. It looks painful, but it's not an emergency. Even a broken toe does not call for an ambulance.

What was your child doing to sustain such injuries?

Chairs don't require maintenance. They are misused by the students sitting in them. How did the chair become splintered?

• Advertisement

They did take care of your child. What would you have done differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I don't mean it that way! I believe I could definitely find a couple solicitors in our town within minutes that would be willing to go to court.
    Is the school not supposed to take care of the child while the child is attending school? If the parent/guardian is away doesn't it have the duty to get the treatment for the pupil?

I'm sure the school has a contingency plan for when parents/guardians aren't available, however you were so there's no issue.

If you were the teacher, what would you have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

If the parent/guardian is away doesn't it have the duty to get the treatment for the pupil?

If the parent/guardian is away then surely it's up to the parent/guardian to ensure there is someone available to take charge of the child in the event of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Jesus christ, everything wrong with this country in 1 post. Your kid was doing dumb stuff on a chair and hurt his toe, in the same week he did more dumb stuff and ended up with a splinter under his nail.

Educate your kid to stop doing dumb stuff and thank the school for even contacting you.

"Liable" are you serious? You should be liable to parent your child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

General anaesthetic job id say, i remember when i got a splinter up my finger nail, was painful, i dragged it out too much and in the end they got a tweezers and pulled it out, they should have just held me down and done it straight away as it in there was more painful then getting it out, just distract them and tell them if they dont get it sorted probably need to take the whole arm off, theyll rememeber it as a funny story growing up when they get older.

I understand.

Just as you are supposed to take care of the child at home, but that doesn't make you a bad parent if they break their toe jumping off the bed.

They are liable for medical bills at most in my view. Whatever you pay at the A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

And this is part of the reason why our young teens and adults suffer with anxiety and can't cope with the simple things life throws at them. Parents, Molly coddling them, always looking for someone else to blame for their own kids doing dumb ****. And when they fond said person to blame, let's sue them. Terrible example to be setting for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I am actually reading this post with my mouth aghast. I was expecting to see a toe hanging off in the picture. I really struggle with your perceived slight on the care of your child. An ambulance??! If this happened at home would your first post of call be 999??!

To be fair to OP

People including myself are reading a lot into the word 'liable',

OP never suggested sueing, and my understanding is in this case that the school should pay the €100 A&E bill and any physio...…so they are liable in this way. As far as I know.

Which is not the same as a legal case or anywhere near it.

People talking about the how the country has gone to ****e might consider how hyper social media aggression has contributed to that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sounds like you forgot to wrap your child in cotton wool, op.

• Advertisement

Another point here is that because of child safety rules, as far as I know the child couldn't be brought to hospital by a teacher or member of staff.

It would have to be at least two members of staff, which would be a challenge in a lot of schools, and not in the category of minor fracture.

Why on earth should they pay an AE bill. Children sustain injuries.......thats part of being a child......not the schools fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

One of my kids cut his finger very badly in woodwork with a chisel. The teacher bandaged it and stopped the bleeding and rang me. He waited with him until I arrived. He rang me that evening to see he was ok and texted me the next day too. I think he went above and beyond of what was expected of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

As regards the toe tape to the one next to it insulating tape works.Remove splinter with tweezers, long nose pliers or something similiar shot of dettol bit of tissue and wrap with aforementioned insulating tape.Glass of flat 7up and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just to make the OP aware that if she's in the midlands she should call Athlone barracks and get the air ambulance out for wee Jonny's splinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Were you on any swings in a nightclub lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭iHungry

The kids diet looks poor judging by the condition of the nails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm sure you could. Aren't we lucky you decided to make your home here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

whelan2 wrote: »
    One of my kids cut his finger very badly in woodwork with a chisel. The teacher bandaged it and stopped the bleeding and rang me. He waited with him until I arrived. He rang me that evening to see he was ok and texted me the next day too. I think he went above and beyond of what was expected of him.

Put in a claim, everyone's at it:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/boy-17-receives-42-500-after-cutting-finger-in-woodwork-class-1.3482917

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

As regards the toe tape to the one next to it insulating tape works.Remove splinter with tweezers, long nose pliers or something similiar shot of dettol it of tissue and wrap with aforementioned insulating tape.Glass of flat 7up and off you go.

LOL:D:D:D

Advertisement