Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kid injured at school - twice in just two weeks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Another point here is that because of child safety rules, as far as I know the child couldn't be brought to hospital by a teacher or member of staff.

It would have to be at least two members of staff, which would be a challenge in a lot of schools, and not in the category of minor fracture.

This post reminds me of the time as a 5 year old boy back in the early 70s, I ran through a door with a glass panel which was closing just as I reached it and I kept going like a good thing.
    Blood everywhere, bawling me head off.
    My female teacher drove me to the Childrens Hospital, got checked out & bandaged up, all superficial cuts thankfully.
    They stuck a lollypop in my gob and she drove me home.
    We hadn't a telephone at the time so that's all they could do which was grand and caring and done the job.
    Got the hugs and kisses from my Ma who also told me to never, ever do that again and watch where I was going.
    Lesson learned.
    The lollypop was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

whelan2 wrote: »
    One of my kids cut his finger very badly in woodwork with a chisel. The teacher bandaged it and stopped the bleeding and rang me. He waited with him until I arrived. He rang me that evening to see he was ok and texted me the next day too. I think he went above and beyond of what was expected of him.

Common Sense right there... wouldn't be surprised to see metal/wood work restricted in some schools due to insurance in the near future, and next will be all the science fields those nasty Bunsen Burners...it's getting beyond ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    This post reminds me of the time as a 5 year old boy back in the early 70s, I ran through a door with a glass panel which was closing just as I reached it and I kept going like a good thing.
    Blood everywhere, bawling me head off.
    My female teacher drove me to the Childrens Hospital, got checked out & bandaged up, all superficial cuts thankfully.
    They stuck a lollypop in my gob and she drove me home.
    We hadn't a telephone at the time so that's all they could do which was grand and caring and done the job.
    Got the hugs and kisses from my Ma who also told me to never, ever do that again and watch where I was going.
    Lesson learned.
    The lollypop was very nice.

Pfft I was knocked backwards off a bench and cracked my head on the desk behind me, blood everywhere and I was made to stand in the corner until someone was found to take me to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

1874 wrote: »
    Disgusting

I'm sure they'll feel disgusted with themselves when they buy their house with the €42k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wesser wrote: »
    Why on earth should they pay an AE bill. Children sustain injuries.......thats part of being a child......not the schools fault!

Well they are; and can I just say how its great that you care so much about it that you'll go to this extreme length of whingeing about it on social media.

If only there were more like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just to make the OP aware that if she's in the midlands she should call Athlone barracks and get the air ambulance out for wee Jonny's splinter.

At what point did OP say they were a 'she'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Pfft I was knocked backwards off a bench and cracked my head on the desk behind me, blood everywhere and I was made to stand in the corner until someone was found to take me to hospital.

Well, when I was a kid...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Will there be crowd funding available?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

marvin80 wrote: »

No. These things happen. I reckon every kid in the class learnt a valuable lesson that day . The teacher thought he might need stitches but he had the wound covered up well so I just left it alone until the next day and put a few paper stitches on it myself. No need for an ambulance or a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

OP, a few people have asked what you would have done differently. I think you should answer that.

Teachers aren't trained medical professionals. Not their job to treat your child, just to call you and have you pick them up if necessary.

Kids will be kids, and will do dumb stuff. You should prob get your kid to grow his nails a bit, might offer some more protection!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

grindle wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll feel disgusted with themselves when they buy their house with the €42k

Lots of fixer-uppers there. At least the young lad has some carpentry skills now.

Advertisement