Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade advice

Options
  • 25-10-2019 1:27pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Deciding now's the time to upgrade my trusty old i5 3570k build PC.

So will be primarily used for gaming and youtube.

Well I don't really have limit on budget on principal I think a proper 4K set up is too expensive. But as its a hobby I enjoy I don't paying a decent amount to get a good set up, doesn't have to be the absolute best value.

Looking to play modern games at 1440p at 60FPS or better on modern games at high graphics settings.

Monitor I'm looking at
    Gigabyte AORUS CV27Q 27" 2560X1440 VA 165HZ 1MS FREESYNC 2 HDR400 CURVED BACKLIT GAMING MONITOR

I think 1440p is the sweet spot in terms of image and value and I've wanting to get an adaptive sync monitor for a while now. Also impressed with HDR on TV's and while HDR400 won't be amazing there doesn't seem to be any really good HDR implementation on monitors (except on those super expensive 4K Asus monitors)

CPU Ryzen 3700x

Memory TEAM GROUP EDITION 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHZ

Motherboard
    This is where I'm struggling. I'm looking at X570 series. They seem quite expensive. Whats a good value board. I'll be connecting a wifi card, and 2 Sata hard drives too it. I don't really care for looks. Just something that works and performs well. Don't need fancy networking ports or the like.

GPU: Currently have a Vega 56 and I'm not decided if should I go for a 5700XT or hold off till next year. Any new GPU's out next year?. The Vega 56 should run most games at max or high settings at 1440p but I'd expect to have to make one two compromises.

PSU I'm fine with.

Hard Drives. I have a 1TB 7200rpm drive and a 256GB SSD and I'm going use the StoreMI tech that comes with the x570 to get SSD or close to SSD performance out of the old mechanically drive. It seems to work well from what I've looked on the net. Anyone any opinion on StoreMi?

I'm also struggling to choose a case. Whats a good case. Thinking of sticking with ATX format. Don't really care too much about appearance, as long as its not god awful ugly and don't really care for lighting and windows. Just something that has decent room and good airflow.

Also whats the general opinion here on sound cards. Do you guys stick with onboard or do you have dedicated audio cards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 is good enough for 3700X overclocked.

Don't buy budget MSI X570, however if you want to to save money you should be grand on MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX.

GPU you should be ok to hold off, though obviously don't expect it to hit 165fps.

Airflow case: Look at Cooler Master Masterbox MB/TD or MasterCase series, Silverstone PM01/RL06, Fractal Meshify C, or Corsair 270R/275R.

Sound card: onboard is good enough. External soundcard/DAC is more recommended these days, though if I played games with positional audio I'd be tempted to investigate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would think a new graphics card now is essential for a 1440p 165hz monitor. The Vega 56 is realistically just an OK card for a 1440p med-high settings 60fps build on the latest games but not ultra and definitely not 144 or 165hz for the newest big games. It will really hold back your 'new' build. It's not much faster than an old gtx1070 in some games, slower in others.

Maybe think about a build based around the 3600 cpu, a B450 board (you don't seem to really need any features of x570, just make sure b450 comes with bios that supports 3rd gen) and 5700xt or rtx2070 super. I really think you will regret sticking with the Vega56 in this scenario with a 1440p 165hz monitor unless it's mostly esports type titles you are playing or you are OK running games at low-medium for a while.

Advertisement