Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert 2 gang 1 way switch to 1 gang 1 way

Options
  • 25-10-2019 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

I have a set of lights in a room controlled with a 2 gang 1 way switch. I don't need to have multiple switches and just want one switch for all lights in the room. How can I combine the wiring behind the switch so that there is only 1 switch for what the existing 2 switches are controlling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd imagine it's as easy as putting both lives on the switched side on the one terminal.

Then all you need is to replace the switch itself with a 1 way one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Need to put up photo. It could be end of line or mid circuit, in which case either a loop in and out supply will need to be put into one terminal, or just one feed if its end of line and in both cases ye remove the link, and the switch wires to both lights into other terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Bruthal wrote: »
    Need to put up photo. It could be end of line or mid circuit, in which case either a loop in and out supply will need to be put into one terminal, or just one feed if its end of line and in both cases ye remove the link, and the switch wires to both lights into other terminal.

No problem, I'll post a photo later on.

Alright here's the current wiring. I have no idea if it's good or bad, I didn't do it :D

https://imgur.com/Pl0jkDw
    https://imgur.com/vI3fFub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

On a 1 gang switch, the 2 that have the link between them go into one terminal, the other 2 that are on their own, go into the other. If it is a single gang 2 way, put one set into the com, other into L1.

Mark the 2 that have the link between them with a marker to show they are together in case you lose track.

• Advertisement

Job done! Thanks for the help.

I transferred each pair one at a time, i.e. had both switches half connected at one point.

Advertisement