Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance for Private Music Lessons

• 25-10-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering where private music teachers who work from home are getting their Home Insurance. I teach from home in a seperate studio space which has a side entrance. I teach over 10 students a week but nearly all Irish insurers are not willing to cover my home because of this or else the premium is massively high. I have found a UK based company but the premium is over €700. I have a seperate public liability policy to cover my students. There are loads of private music teacher across Ireland so are they saying to the companies they only have 10 or less students a week. It just baffles me as to why there are not companies providing for this situation where you have 10+ students. Thoughts and experiences welcome, thanks, Clive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

With parents starting to claim against homeowners where their little diddums falls over at a birthday party, it's no wonder insurers shy away from situations where people pay to be on your property. ( you owe a higher duty of care if people pay to be in your premises)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭commie

Fair point, that's why I have Public Liability to cover that side.

commie wrote: »
    Fair point, that's why I have Public Liability to cover that side.

If your property is the cause of the loss rather than your actual activity, your home insurers could be brought in to share the claim

I see, I just wonder who all the other music teachers are getting home insurance with.

They just don’t tell their insurer I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I see, I just wonder who all the other music teachers are getting home insurance with.

I know a couple of them; they haven't done anything about insurance other than their normal house insurance. They would have about 8 students each.

I know a couple of them; they haven't done anything about insurance other than their normal house insurance. They would have about 8 students each.

Taking one hell of a risk in today's climate. Not only would they not have cover if anything happened to the students in the house, they could invalidate their cover for other events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Taking one hell of a risk in today's climate. Not only would they not have cover if anything happened to the students in the house, they could invalidate their cover for other events

And do you think teachers giving grinds in their houses get additional insurance?

And do you think teachers giving grinds in their houses get additional insurance?

Many do, most don't. I wouldn't let anyone in my gate if I didn't have appropriate liability cover in place

Many do, most don't. I wouldn't let anyone in my gate if I didn't have appropriate liability cover in place

Personally I think people are far too paranoid about this type of thing.

What are you worried is going to happen someone in a music lesson or getting a grind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What are you worried is going to happen someone in a music lesson or getting a grind.

It's not what happens that matters, it's what they allege happened.

Seriously, it's not paranoia. I'm. an insurance claims handler and there are many people out there looking for ANY opportunity to seek compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Seriously, it's not paranoia. I'm. an insurance claims handler and there are many people out there looking for ANY opportunity to seek compensation.

Agreed. That's why I don't have my kids birthday parties at home.

Madness imo. Next people will say they don’t have friends over for dinner. No way could I allow my life to be so dictated to by (imo) irrational fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Additionally, that is why I never want to see a bouncy castle inside our front gate either :)

Madness imo. Next people will say they don’t have friends over for dinner. No way could I allow my life to be so dictated to by (imo) irrational fear.

Bowing to this sort of thing is only making matters worse too.

It would be irrational if it wasnt happening. Trust me, it is. You can make a stand if you like, but that won't stop the letter arriving through your letterbox

It would be irrational if it wasnt happening. Trust me, it is. You can make a stand if you like, but that won't stop the letter arriving through your letterbox

You must be in the tiniest of tiny minorities who don’t allow Kids parties in your house, honestly over never heard of anything like that going on. I’d say most would consider it very paranoid.

You must be in the tiniest of tiny minorities who don’t allow Kids parties in your house, honestly over never heard of anything like that going on. I’d say most would consider it very paranoid.

I'm long passed having kid's parties in my house. As I said earlier I'm an insurance claims handler, so I know what's happening

Yeah that's my thinking, I'm not paranoid about it but people do claim just cause sometimes, so at least I'm fully covered. I went with the same company from the UK after having another look in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GoldenSlumbers

Hi, I'm wondering where private music teachers who work from home are getting their Home Insurance. I teach from home in a seperate studio space which has a side entrance. I teach over 10 students a week but nearly all Irish insurers are not willing to cover my home because of this or else the premium is massively high. I have found a UK based company but the premium is over €700. I have a seperate public liability policy to cover my students. There are loads of private music teacher across Ireland so are they saying to the companies they only have 10 or less students a week. It just baffles me as to why there are not companies providing for this situation where you have 10+ students. Thoughts and experiences welcome, thanks, Clive.

Out of curiosity, how much is your public liability ensurance per year as a music teacher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Out of curiosity, how much is your public liability ensurance per year as a music teacher?

It would be in the region of €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

Chiorino wrote: »
    It would be in the region of €200.

Once you've taken out PL for work well then you have to insure the business premises

Policies would be cross referenced if there was a large claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

SpielCheck wrote: »
    Once you've taken out PL for work well then you have to insure the business premises

Policies would be cross referenced if there was a large claim

That's for the insured to discuss with their home insurer. I'm just stating how much a PL policy to teach music classes can be arranged for.

Advertisement