Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you change about the NCT if you had the power? Or is it adequate as is?

• 25-10-2019 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I bought a new car two years ago (brand new), so it has a 172 Reg (so the NCTisn't due until the latter half of 2021).

I recently brough her in for a service and to get the tyres replaced as they were a bit bald after much driving, the thread depth was between 1.7mm and 1.8mm.

My cowoker scorned me and asked me why I was "wasting money". He reckons that servicing is throwing money away and that my tyres were "fine". He said would you not just pop it into the NCT when it comes around like everyone else.. :confused::confused::confused: I dodn't bother arguing with him. Are people like him commonplace? I'd like to think not. I bring my car for a service once a year, isn't that normal??

If I had my way the NCT would have the following updates:
    • Blown bulbs will not result in failures, a bulb can blow on the way to the centre or on the way out after passing. Leave enforcement of bulbs to Gardaí. At the very most, if a bulb is broken you should be able to simply pop back to the centre to demonstrate the bulb is working instead of a full rettest.
    • The NCT will be yearly, from the first registration of the car, this will force people to actually give a fuck about their cars' maintenance.
    • The NCT fee will be €150, €100 of this will be a refundable deposit for a tow truck rental in case the car fails for a dangerous defect. If the car fails for a dangerous defect, the driver should not be allowed to have the car until the car is transported on a flatbed and the defect fixed.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Any bulbs, other than headlight bulbs, would just be a visual resest. I've had to drop back with a side indicator bulb which had blown on the way to the test centre before. It was recheked free of charge without having to use a test lane.

If a headlight bulb is changed the headlight aim + focus needs to be checked using equipment in the test lane so there is a retest fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

150 yoyos. 100 back if you dont need a tow truck !. The time and effo6in that let alone the money missing from your bank for 4/5days. That's not workable. In the early days of the test each centre had a receptionist, maybe then.
    As above a bulb is just visual,so no retest unless it's a head/dip light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How about the NCT lasting 12 months (or two years for newer cars) from the date of test and you can test any time.

Selling a car have it tested and you have 12 months NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Another view would be.

What was done at the nct centre that made safety worse?

Yip. this is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

slipperyox wrote: »
    Another view would be.

What was done at the nct centre that made safety worse?

Yip. this is possible

Do elaborate!

• Advertisement

I failed because front springs (lowered replaced) were shuttling when the car was lifted ( they should have had 'helper' springs).
    So I replaced them with oem.

The car was visible pointing up in the air at the front as the rear were still lowered. So the headlight alignment was way out. but they only checked the springs.

It passed, and driving home, the car went into a spin because of its geometry miss alignment.

They should have left well enough alone, or retested everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I failed because front springs (lowered replaced) were shuttling when the car was lifted ( they should have had 'helper' springs).

The car was visible pointing up in the air at the front as the rear were still lowered. So the headlight alignment was way out. but they only checked the springs.

It passed, and driving home, the car went into a spin because of its geometry miss alignment.

Your modifications weren't done correctly. They put thousands of cars through every day with no issues, yet a modified car has issues.

my3cents wrote: »
    How about the NCT lasting 12 months (or two years for newer cars) from the date of test and you can test any time.

You can do this already. Pass >90 days before due and you get the full 2 or 1 years NCT

This is already possible with early voluntary testing. You can have your car tested at any time. If tested more than 90 days before it's due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test. If tested within 90 days of it's due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test due date.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Test-due-date--Voluntary-Early-Testing-/

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can do this already. Pass >90 days before due and you get the full 2 or 1 years NCT
    This is already possible with early voluntary testing. You can have your car tested at any time. If tested more than 90 days before it's due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test. If tested within 90 days of it's due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test due date.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Test-due-date--Voluntary-Early-Testing-/

So you can test 3 months early that is nothing like the same as being able to test at any time and get the full 12 months. If a test is valid for 15 months if tested 3 months early why isn't it worth 12 month if tested 6 months early?

• Advertisement

So you can test 3 months early that is nothing like the same as being able to test at any time and get the full 12 months. If a test is valid for 15 months if tested 3 months early why isn't it worth 12 month if tested 6 months early?

It is. If a car passes its NCT more than 90 days before it's test due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test (one or two years depending on the age of the car). The next test due date us also reset to the anniversary of the early test date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Given the amount of one eyed monsters still around, I'm glad that every car will have a working full set of lights at least once every two years.

Some of that is definitely down to the manufacturers as well as lazy drivers though.

It is. If a car passes its NCT more than 90 days before it's test due date the NCT certificate is valid to the anniversary of the test (one or two years depending on the age of the car). The next test due date us also reset to the anniversary of the early test date.

OK got that now:o but from Del2005's link this is a little bit clearer....
    By booking and passing on a date prior to this 90-day period, vehicles will be given an NCT certificate that expires on the anniversary of their voluntary test. Each subsequent mandatory test will be required to take place on the one or two year anniversary of this voluntary test (depending on the age of the vehicle) as per example in the following table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would like to see it brought in based on milage (say 30k ) or every 2 years.
    its crazy to think that a car doing 5k a year needs the same checks as a car doing 100k a year.

i would like to see it brought in based on milage (say 30k ) or every 2 years.
    its crazy to think that a car doing 5k a year needs the same checks as a car doing 100k a year.

But mine is sat most of the year in salt spray and does little more than 5k, its probably in worse shape after that than a car driven 30k.

So every 1 to 2 years or every 15 to 30k whichever comes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd like I they gave you a written description of why your car failed, that you could give straight to a mechanic.

I've gotten plenty of vague reasons for fails given by lads with thick accents that I couldn't understand. I'll admit this is more my fault than theirs, but it would make the repair process much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

DPF removal should be a fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think the NCT should be based on mileage instead of age. After all it's testing worn components.
    I've an old car that in just bring out for a few months in the summer so needs a full NCT every summer and only does maybe 2k km each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Worn tyres should be a paid retest. Up on the lift to ensure tyres haven’t been swapped around, and if part worn or spare tyres have been used, it’s impossible to do a thorough check on the ground. It would also make some people change their tyres before the wire is out through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Give me a full years NCT for ****s sake. Money making racket giving a cert for a few months. Test should be a year. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

The penal 5 points for not having one in date. 2 points is enough. More evidence of Irish politicians passing laws that serve the interests of business rather than citizens.

Give me a full years NCT for ****s sake. Money making racket giving a cert for a few months. Test should be a year. Full stop.

It is valid for the full year if don't let it expire. With the general Irish attitude to servicing and testing they had to set up the system so that you got no benefit from not testing.

IMO they should give anyone driving an expired car to a centre a summons with their pass/fail cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It is valid for the full year if don't let it expire. With the general Irish attitude to servicing and testing they had to set up the system so that you got no benefit from not testing.

IMO they should give anyone driving an expired car to a centre a summons with their pass/fail cert.

Hope the fall from that horse doesnt hurt too much.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Be like the UK system, no NCT you're not insured.

What's shuttling? Is it a boy racer thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

In the early 80s I lived in Queensland Australia, and at that time they had the best car test system ever.

It was called the shaker lorry, the police would have it in a lay by and stop older/fecked looking cars. You had to drive the car onto the lorry deck and they turned on the shaker. The whole deck would shake back and forth, and often the car being tested fell apart (exhausts frequently turned to dust), often to the laughter of locals that had gathered to watch.

I drove a 1963 Holden Station wagon and got tested, at least a full bucket of rust fell out, and the headlining came loose, but I passed.

I think this should be the new NCT.

Park the lorry outside the pub so everyone can watch.... legislation needs to be more fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I'd like I they gave you a written description of why your car failed, that you could give straight to a mechanic.

I've gotten plenty of vague reasons for fails given by lads with thick accents that I couldn't understand. I'll admit this is more my fault than theirs, but it would make the repair process much easier.

You will either have a numeric value on the report or the offending part will be marked by the tester, no competent mechanic will be in any doubt.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What's shuttling? Is it a boy racer thing?

When the sprung weight rests on the unsprung chassis, as in normal car on the road.

If the car goes over a bump, and lifts momentarily, the wheels fall hence the springs are not compressed, and if the spring is lowered (shorter length) then the spring may possibly be able to rattle up and down on the shock.

On regaining contact with the road. The wheels compress the spring again. But if it is not aligned, there is the very remote chance of it breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

When the sprung weight rests on the unsprung chassis, as in normal car on the road.

If the car goes over a bump, and lifts momentarily, the wheels fall hence the springs are not compressed, and if the spring is lowered (shorter length) then the spring may possibly be able to rattle up and down on the shock.

On regaining contact with the road. The wheels compress the spring again. But if it is not aligned, there is the very remote chance of it breaking.

Which is why lowering springs should be used in conjunction with the appropriate lowering shocks or properly adjusted coilovers.

I'll bet you already knew that, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd get rid of the thing altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think a mobile test rig would be great.. test random cars at the side of the road. vehicles should be safe all the time not just on the day of the test

All well and good until you buy a car that wasn’t tested on time and you get a whopping three months on it... it should be a year. You’ve literally cases where the NCT lasts weeks and it needs testing again. It’s only a money racket and nothing to do with safety.

Lived in NZ for a while and tested a few yokes over there. Was strictly a safety test, blown bulb, no problem we will sell you one and stick it in. Tests were between $25 and $35 depending where you went and EVERYONE had a test. Pretty much every garage had a WOF Centre (NCT), no messing, if your car was defective it was defective. None of this brown envelope stuff.

Mind you the kiwi people are a straight honest bunch. Would never happen in Ireland. Bunch of absolute scam artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Lived in NZ for a while and tested a few yokes over there. Was strictly a safety test, blown bulb, no problem we will sell you one and stick it in. Tests were between $25 and $35 depending where you went and EVERYONE had a test. Pretty much every garage had a WOF Centre (NCT), no messing, if your car was defective it was defective. None of this brown envelope stuff.

Mind you the kiwi people are a straight honest bunch. Would never happen in Ireland. Bunch of absolute scam artists.

That pretty much describes the UK MOT system.

pablo128 wrote: »

Pity it wouldn’t work over here. It would be an even bigger scam than the current NCT we have.

• Advertisement

All well and good until you buy a car that wasn’t tested on time and you get a whopping three months on it... it should be a year. You’ve literally cases where the NCT lasts weeks and it needs testing again. It’s only a money racket and nothing to do with safety.

The simple solution is not to buy untested cars. You know that you aren't insured when you buy your untested car. Insurance will cover the 3rd party, and recoup the cost from you, buy not your new motor isn't covered. Insurance requires a car to be roadworthy and while having an NCT doesn't guarantee the car is roadworthy, without an NCT a car that needs one can't be roadworthy.

You obviously never seen the standard of cars before the NCT if you think its a racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

If you test it within 90 days of the test being due you get 1 year 3 months on it. So that was just unlucky for you. Nothing to do with a money racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Based on the standard of responses to this thread, my improvements to the NCT are

1. It should be country wide. Like covering the whole country, national or whatever

2. It should test self propelled vehicles not skateboards or push bikes or people walking, cars I think they’re called

3. It should make sure they’re not broken by checking the bits that usually wear out or break. a bit like the leaving cert for cars but because cars don’t have hands to hold a Biro, someone else should to the test on them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It needs to be overhauled to be more consistent.
    Ive had cars in that I told the customer wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of passing and they come back with a pass cert.
    Ive had cars that I knew would pass fail on me.
    Its gotten to the stage where you cant guarantee a pass to a customer any more. We used to guarantee a pass and pay for the retest if it failed but its so inconsistent now with individual testers making mistakes that you cant rely on the NCT anymore.

Id also make it safety related only. Failing because a plate doesn't have a county on it? Wrong font on a number plate when the rest of the car is in top condition. ****ing ridiculous. Bulbs that aren't orange enough? That's one I see on a daily basis.

Then theres the hoops you have to jump through when they are wrong. I had a spate of puntos failing in one centre and none of us could figure out why it was one centre. They were all failing on emissions at high idle. We brought them into the workshop and they passed every single time on our machine.

Turns out one particular tester was testing the high idle at the wrong RPM. It should have been at 3500 and he was testing them at 2700. It took me weeks of letters and emails to the NCT to get that one sorted. Even though we were able to prove that it was one centre that was at fault.

Their suspension test should test for failed shocks and not just an imbalance--if you have 2 worn shocks it will pass all day long as there is no imbalance yet the car is seriously defective.
    Its little things like that that boils my blood with the nct. Yet all their testers are qualified mechanics and really should know the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

In the UK, the tester will attempt to realign headlights that are misaligned. I'm sure same could be done here with a little goodwill.

And I have never agreed with revving a diesel engine flat out off-load for a smoke test. They also abandoned that practice in the UK

• Advertisement

Which is why lowering springs should be used in conjunction with the appropriate lowering shocks or properly adjusted coilovers.

I'll bet you already knew that, though.

Regardless, they allowed an more unsafe vehicle out on the road, than entered the center for the test, period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it still a fact that they don't test emissions on hybrids?

And we all know how corrupt that was which is why it has become centralised like our system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Further to some very worthwhile ideas I’d like to see all personal wear name badges. On a recent NCT on a classic of mine at a south side centre I was subjected to only what could be described as a pig from Eastern European descent. I asked him for his name when I accused him of being rough shod, he dropped my failure cert and keys on the floor and walked off. Shocking stuff tbh. I passed my Nct next day elsewhere and was treated like a human being by another Eastern european lad who was civil and that’s all I ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Further to some very worthwhile ideas I’d like to see all personal wear name badges. On a recent NCT on a classic of mine at a south side centre I was subjected to only what could be described as a pig from Eastern European descent. I asked him for his name when I accused him of being rough shod, he dropped my failure cert and keys on the floor and walked off. Shocking stuff tbh. I passed my Nct next day elsewhere and was treated like a human being by another Eastern european lad who was civil and that’s all I ask.

Every uniform has name and employee number on it. His initials are also on the bottom of the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

mickdw wrote: »

Yup, had mine through its first test recently and no emissions test

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Durtburd

mickdw wrote: »

Yes and far more importantly they don't test the brakes (other than a slam on test from about 20kph in the car park)

Durtburd wrote: »
    Yes and far more importantly they don't test the brakes (other than a slam on test from about 20kph in the car park)

That's only if the car has a limited slip diff or some types of 4x4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

It should be like the MOT or CVRT, any garage should be able to apply to test cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

That's only if the car has a limited slip diff or some types of 4x4s.
    Not only. CVT gearbox as well. And hybrids have that very transmission indeed. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement