Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

204 Ruger Chronograph Data?

Options
  • 25-10-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has chronographed Hornady’s 204 Ruger 40 grain V-Max cartridge (#83206)?

The Hornady website suggests a speed of 3900 fps at the muzzle for the 40 grain V-Max, out of a 26” barrel.

I have a Tikka T3x with a 508mm (20”) barrel, fitted with a Wildcat Evolution moderator.

The moderator has a forward length of 153mm (approx. 6”), so can I assume then that I have a 26” barrel and reliably use the data as provided by Hornady?

(I have no access to a chronograph unfortunately and apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect forum!)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The moderator has a forward length of 153mm (approx. 6”), so can I assume then that I have a 26” barrel and reliably use the data as provided by Hornady?

I don't have the data you want, but the above is not "valid". The suppressor is not rifled nor does the bullet make any contact with the mod. Therefore the mod will not effect the bullet in the same way the barrel will.

The "drag" on the bullet caused by the bullet being pushed along the lands and grooves ends when the rifling stops. The suppressor can and will affect the bullet in its own way, but not in the same way as a rifled barrel so the data for a 26" barrel will not work the same for your 20" barrel, and you may even get different results with the Mod on to it off with the same rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

I never seen anyone get the advertised speeds with the hornady ammo.
    I was getting around 3750 with a 26 inch barrel.
    As Cas says the mod won't give you any extra velocity so you still have a 20 inch barrel.
    The 204 does lose velocity in shorter barrels and id say you would be getting around 3500fps with your rifle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Hornady website suggests a speed of 3900 fps at the muzzle for the 40 grain V-Max, out of a 26” barrel.
    Just as a point of discussion mosts "sources" say 22 to 23" is optimal for a Ruger 204 however others say that 26" is best for top velocity.

I cannot and won't speculate as to who is right but on the point of Hornady claiming a certain speed, there are too many factors to just assuming you will get the same speeds.

Some of these factors may be miniscule in terms of impact, but i've no doubt they do make a difference. For example the rifle Hornady used, what is the:
    • Twist rate of the rifle
    • Number of grooves (4, 5, 6, etc)
    • Type of grooves (standard, 5R, Hybric, etc)
    • Method of rifling (Cut, Hammer Forged, Button, etc)
    Each of these can affect the performance of the bullet as it travels the barrel resulting in varying speeds, performance, etc.

I only mention it as it's interesting to me, but in real world applications the truth is it may make either a noticeable difference or such a small one that you'll barely notice.

There was a great video on Youtube, which i'm finding hard to find now, and the guy takes three calibers (22lr, 223, 308) and starts with a 26" barrel in each and (without crowning or worrying about accuracy) cuts 1" off the barrels and tests fires for speeds.

If i find it i'll post it up, but if memory serves me it showed the length of the barrel of each caliber and the point at which you gain or lose speed based on barrel length and the results were, i won't predictable, but interesting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Ghost Recon

Thanks for the replies, advice and information - relevant, on-point and very useful!

I guess I’m just gonna have to buy a chronograph kit and map the data myself.

Will post the data on here in due course, for anyone that’s interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I had 2 sister Krieger .204 barrels, one 22” the other 24”. I chrono’d the 40gr Hornady(Varmint Express) out of the 24” and got an average of 3700fps. I trued the drop from the 22” barrel on iStrelok and got 3600fps. At around 50fps/inch loss zeissman’s figure of 3500fps for 20” sounds about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

If you use StrelokPro or a kestrel wind meter with ballistics function you simply enter in your barrel data bullet data and scope height and your estimated velocity then put a target out at a decent distance say 400y and see what drop it gives you,you dial in and let’s say it gave you 15” and your impact was 5” low your drop should have been 20” the app or kestrel will work out your actual bullet velocity.I have used this method loads of times to brilliant accuracy I’ve had grey crows at 550y in a 15kmph cross wind!
    It actually proved more accurate than a mates magneto speed chrono!

Advertisement