Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i shoot grey squirrels on sight?

• 25-10-2019 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

If i am hunting on private property and have a shotgun or a air gun if i see a grey squirrel should i shoot it on sight if it is safe to do so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

why would you shoot a squirrel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NewRed2 wrote: »

Because grays are not native to Ireland and are driving our native Reds to extinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you can safely take the shot, mindful of what is behind the target, even up to a mile, drop the grey squirrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Shoot them all I say.
    It was my favorite past time with the BSA air rifle when I was 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

NewRed2 wrote: »

<MOD SNIP>
    Grey Squirrels were introduced to Ireland from North America around 1911. The species quickly established itself and rapidly spread throughout the country. They cause significant damage to certain species of tree and pose a serious challenge to the continued existence of the native red squirrel.

Every year Grey Squirrels cause millions of euro in damage to trees on forestry, woodlands...They usually tend to attack beech, sycamore, elder and hazel trees between 10 and 40 years old, although this will vary depending on the species of tree. 

In Ireland and Britain grey squirrels are classified as vermin, in fact the National Parks and Wildlife Service actively encourages control of their numbers. Effective control can best be achieved through a humane and structured programme of shooting and trapping. .

http://www.wildlifemanagement.ie/grey-squirrels/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

gozunda wrote: »
    You clearly do - if you are going to troll something such as reasons for eradicating a recent invasive species as advocated by parks and wildlife. But sure bang your drum ....

honestly wasn't trolling at all. I just speak my mind, I didn't mean any offence at all. I was being genuine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Go right ahead.They are invasive,and carry a virus that's leathl to native red squirrels.Dont waste them either mind...They are really good eatin too,oven fried is delish.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement