Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do I call to remove HIVE?

• 25-10-2019 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, but someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Who do I call to have HIVE removed from my heating system? I first got it installed by Bord Gais about 3/4 years ago, and it worked fine, but recently its gone to hell.

About six months ago, the app stopped recognising my log in details, and despite spending literally hours online with technicians, they couldn't sort it out, so I could only control my heating / lights by logging into the online dashboard. (Pain in arse). Then the thermostat keeps disconnecting despite regularly replacing the batteries.

Now tonight, the online dashboard is refusing to recognise my log in details. I know they are having tech problems right now, but I'm so sick of it now I want rid of it.

I have gas central heating, 4 hive lights and 1 hive socket, and just want to go back to a regular central heating timer.

I'll probably get Phillips Hue for the lights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

AulWan wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Who do I call to have HIVE removed from my heating system? I first got it installed by Bord Gais about 3/4 years ago, and it worked fine, but recently its gone to hell.

About six months ago, the app stopped recognising my log in details, and despite spending literally hours online with technicians, they couldn't sort it out, so I could only control my heating / lights by logging into the online dashboard. (Pain in arse). Then the thermostat keeps disconnecting despite regularly replacing the batteries.

Now tonight, the online dashboard is refusing to recognise my log in details. I know they are having tech problems right now, but I'm so sick of it now I want rid of it.

I have gas central heating, 4 hive lights and 1 hive socket, and just want to go back to a regular central heating timer.

I'll probably get Phillips Hue for the lights.

Maybe the best approach is to replace it with an alternative, such as nest ?

So rather than just pay.someone to remove hive , you pay someone to install nest and they would replace the hive at the same time ?

Seems mad you are having those airt of issues though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you updated the app and al that ? Is your WiFi giving problems ? How many devices have you connected to your WiFi? I’m sure there’s an easy fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Maybe the best approach is to replace it with an alternative, such as nest ?

I would not be adverse to trying something else, - but who do I call first, is it Bord Gais as they installed it?
    ted1 wrote: »
    Have you updated the app and al that ? Is your WiFi giving problems ? How many devices have you connected to your WiFi? I’m sure there’s an easy fix

No problems with WIFI at all, the app just stopped accepting my login email and password.

The same email and password works without issue on the online dashboard.

The app issue has been a complete mystery, even to HIVE themselves. They and I have tried everything you can imagine, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, updating app, different passwords, new email address, even different phones, you name it, we've tried it. Even HIVE eventually gave up and said they couldnt figure out what was wrong.

I would not be adverse to trying something else, - but who do I call first, is it Bord Gais as they installed it?

No problems with WIFI at all, the app just stopped accepting my login email and password.

The same email and password works without issue on the online dashboard.

The app issue has been a complete mystery, even to HIVE themselves. They and I have tried everything you can imagine, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, updating app, different passwords, new email address, even different phones, you name it, we've tried it. Even HIVE eventually gave up and said they couldnt figure out what was wrong.

If you are thinking of changing system, for example to nest, just ring electric Ireland, or switch to them if you are out of contract and they will install for you.

Otherwise, a decent electrician and buy the unit's from harvey Norman's.

As you already have a smart thermostat, it should be a fairly easy replacement.

Thank you, Wexfordman2, I appreciate it. I have a pre-paid gas meter with Bord Gais, I will check if I can switch it to Electric Ireland. My electric bill is with Electric Ireland already.

As an aside, I've been thinking of switching back to a bill meter, but it kills me to give BG €200 to switch it back.

• Advertisement

Thank you, Wexfordman2, I appreciate it. I have a pre-paid gas meter with Bord Gais, I will check if I can switch it to Electric Ireland. My electric bill is with Electric Ireland already.

As an aside, I've been thinking of switching back to a bill meter, but it kills me to give BG €200 to switch it back.

How many zones do you have ?

Electric Ireland have an offer at the moment 139 euro for a nest and a free google home mini. Give then a ring for details, that's the best offer you will get as it includes install I believe. That setup will give you one zone plus a hot water zone.
    If you have more that 1 zone, then you will need a second nest as well, which i think is about 249 euro or so (harvey Norman have them), so that would be a guideline price if you needed 2 from electric Ireland.

How many zones do you have ?

Electric Ireland have an offer at the moment 139 euro for a nest and a free google home mini. Give then a ring for details, that's the best offer you will get as it includes install I believe. That setup will give you one zone plus a hot water zone.
    If you have more that 1 zone, then you will need a second nest as well, which i think is about 249 euro or so (harvey Norman have them), so that would be a guideline price if you needed 2 from electric Ireland.

If he got the hive with BG he will have used up bus grant and may not be elegible for a NEST from EI. They free ones earn them 560 euro.

I only have one zone, as its a very small house, all on one level. No seperate hot water, etc. Gas boiler heats hot water.

@ted1, I got the HIVE installed free from BG about 4 years ago, as they were looking for customers to trial it.

I only have one zone, as its a very small house, all on one level. No seperate hot water, etc. Gas boiler heats hot water.

@ted1, I got the HIVE installed free from BG about 4 years ago, as they were looking for customers to trial it.

They would have collected the grant and thus you can not meet part 11 as you’ve already agreed the save with BG.

https://www.electricireland.ie/docs/business-t-cs---energy-services/nest-customer-terms-and-conditions.pdf?sfvrsn=f49da30d_4

They may over look it if you sign up.

That sucks, as BG asked me to install it as a favour to them, not the other way around.

At least the online dashboard is back up and running tonight, so I have some control! But I will replace HIVE as soon as possible. Fed up with it now.

The bulbs are massively expensive too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So rather than just pay.someone to remove hive , you pay someone to install nest and they would replace the hive at the same time ?

Excellent advice.

Advertisement