Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Another crazy scenario witnessed this morning on st marys road .
    Buses dropping students at st Mary's college .
    They have to just stop outside the college on the main road to let students disembark the buses .
    Traffic backed up on both sides of the road .
    The archway at the front of the college stops buses from entering the grounds .
    Why can't archway be removed , and allow buses enter and let students get off safely and let other road users go about their business ??
    It's yet another example of how one small thing leads to traffic !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They have to just stop outside the college on the main road to let students disembark the buses .
    Why can't archway be removed , and allow buses enter and let students get off safely and let other road users go about their business ??

Contact the college with your frustrations. Might help the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The traffic lights at Boston sientific are a joke .
    Picked someone up at 7.30 am from renmore .
    Didn't get to Boston sientific until 8.10 am .
    It's obvious they haven't given enough time to the ballybane road sequence .
    These muppets in city hall haven a clue how to manage a city .
    How was it ever passed that you can drive up by cregal art and expect no traffic choas ???

Some days, there's a queue up the Ballybane Rd.
    Other days, it's up the Monivea Rd.

Totally unpredictable which way it will be each day. (Personally I prefer it up the Ballybane Rd, because my bus uses the Monivea Rd :-) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

That is an expensive walk, I would walk 3km in 35min

How long would it take you to cycle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

You should apply for a job in the Galway Traffic control centre! . Some good ideas but will they work in practice ?

Driving in Galway is going to be endlessly frustrating. Its a small city small roads with WAY too many cars .

Short of bulldozing buildings and building motorways through the city the only solutions are shared transport, buses , bikes or walking.

I gave up the car 3 days out of 5 to work ( c 3 mile commute and cycle walk or run in depending on how I am) . Lot less hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Might be myth but I had heard it was the original arch and has been there for a very long time. That there's still burn\warping from when the Santa Maria Hotel burned down.

They'd want to do something alright, though. They plan to increase the number of students to over 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Might be myth but I had heard it was the original arch and has been there for a very long time. That there's still burn\warping from when the Santa Maria Hotel burned down.

They'd want to do something alright, though. They plan to increase the number of students to over 1k.
    True, as far as I know it's a protected structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Some shouty person on GBFM this morning suggested turning the green area (fields, playing area, Sandy River area) east of Kirwan into a massive car park with shuttle buses to town :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Excellent idea! If the arch itself is a protected structure, surely it would be possible to create a separate entrance for buses? St Mary’s have plenty of land available to accommodate a new entrance/drive.

While there might be a solution to that problem, school buses stopping on the road are no different to the many Bus Eireann buses that block roads throughout the city while picking up or dropping off passengers. It seems there are very few bus stops with an actual off-road recess for buses to pull in. Even where they exist, buses seem reluctant to use them properly and adopt a half-in/half-out position. Obviously there are many locations outside the city centre where traffic is not at a level that would be seriously impeded by a bus stopping on the roadway. In my daily experience, two stops that desperately need a dedicated pull-in spot are those on either side of Newcastle Road outside the hospital. Especially heading from the university side to Salthill direction, when a bus is stopped on the road the traffic cannot progress when the lights go green. Highly frustrating.

This is a city school with city kids, the solution is pretty obvious that even primary kids can manage it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

People abandoning cars outside boomjum, double flashers on, I need to grand a quick burrito while I block up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

People abandoning cars outside boomjum, double flashers on, I need to grand a quick burrito while I block up the road

Completely agree was held up there for nearly ten minutes during the week loads of cars behind me could not pass the three cars outside parked on the double yellows due to the traffic on my left, why is this tolerated by the Garda rules being broken all day long

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Completely agree was held up there for nearly ten minutes during the week loads of cars behind me could not pass the three cars outside parked on the double yellows due to the traffic on my left, why is this tolerated by the Garda rules being broken all day long
    But Cllr Keane said it is the pedestrian lights holding up the car traffic
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/concern-pedestrian-crossing-at-spanish-arch-causing-daily-backlog-at-lough-atalia-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is a city school with city kids, the solution is pretty obvious that even primary kids can manage it

And it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Crazy huh? A bus of maybe 50 people, one of the most space efficient forms of transport, taking maybe 30 or 40 cars off the road - holding up all those people who choose to drive around with four empty seats.

And you're still complaining?

D6dmLFtWsAA2kRo?format=jpg&name=small

The entitlement of the motoring population knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

You can fit 4 cars parked easily on that road side by side so 1 car parked should not cause that much of an issue unless you drive an artic or drive your car like an artic, better examples could be chosen such as foster street.

Laviski wrote: »
    You can fit 4 cars parked easily on that road side by side so 1 car parked should not cause that much of an issue unless you drive an artic or drive your car like an artic, better examples could be chosen such as foster street.
    Sounds like a challenge!

Crazy huh? A bus of maybe 50 people, one of the most space efficient forms of transport, taking maybe 30 or 40 cars off the road - holding up all those people who choose to drive around with four empty seats.

[IMGhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6dmLFtWsAA2kRo?format=jpg&name=small[/IMG]

The entitlement of the motoring population knows no bounds.

Will go get away out of that, busses blocking the road for prolonged periods while unloading and loading is totally unacceptable. The entitlement to think that’s ok is shocking.

The busses should have access to a the school grounds where they can unload safely and without holding up other road users.

Are you not capable of reading a post correctly ???
    My post was about st Mary's college not providing a safe environment for THEIR STUDENTS to disembark safely rather than on a main road .
    Do you seriously see no issue with buses just pulling up and other road users including cyclists waiting ???
    This while there's acres of land in a property that could be used to provide a safe environment for students disembarking .

Next time read my post correctly before getting up on that high horse of yours !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Laviski wrote: »

So it's ok to nip in for a takeaway and leave your car outside parked on double yellow lines

• Advertisement

So it's ok to nip in for a takeaway and leave your car outside parked on double yellow lines

Double yellow lines in galway mean nothing .
    They're only for decorate purposes .
    Traffic wardens when the are working turn a blind eye most of the time .
    If anyone is around galway driving tomorrow see the total abandonment of vecihcles on foster street and eglinton street .
    Will traffic wardens even be working on a Sunday ?
    Again another example of galway village operating as a city .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I didn't say that, just that it was a very poor example considering how wide the street is. there many other locations where streets are narrow that it happens and its not just 3 cars parked. Albeit these are parked illegally for 5-10 mins other streets they are there a lot longer again just making the point it was a poor example to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I used to commute past here and this used to drive me mad in the evenings. Between Boojum and the Indian there are always a few cars blocking the lane here.

The worst is some motorists fly up the right lane, knowing it will be blocked and they'll be forced into the left lane... then they are let in and continue in the left lane out to Salthill!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

Will go get away out of that, busses blocking the road for prolonged periods while unloading and loading is totally unacceptable. The entitlement to think that’s ok is shocking.

The busses should behave access to a the school grounds where they can unload safely and without holding up other road users.

You're beyond parody at this stage. You love arguing for the alleged entitlements of private motorists on public roads (more speed, more space, more parking or whatever), yet you want public transport shunted out of your way to make way so your personal convenience is not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How many hundreds of kids were those buses carrying, and how many motorists were affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

donvito99 wrote: »
    How many hundreds of kids were those buses carrying, and how many motorists were affected?

In fairness though they do end up blocking cars back as far as the next junction which starts a domino effect. This is the case at a lot of bus stops in the city and where possible the council should look at putting in a recessed stop. While this is not possible everywhere, there is some places that could it which might help provide some relief on traffic.

Recessed bus spaces become private car spaces. Bus cannot pull in, they still have to disembark people, cars back up. Heavily evident at Spanish Arch/Jurys area. Witness same all over Galway.

Motorists park everywhere they want without a care, witness the adjacent Scoil Fhursa, which is surrounded on all sides by roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

zell12 wrote: »
    Recessed bus spaces become private car spaces. Bus cannot pull in, they still have to disembark people, cars back up. Heavily evident at Spanish Arch/Jurys area. Witness same all over Galway.

Motorists park everywhere they want without a care, witness the adjacent Scoil Fhursa, which is surrounded on all sides by roads.

Yep, and this is back to one of the underlying causes of traffic issues in Galway, zero enforcement. We can't have bus stops because people will park in then, we can't have bike lanes because the same. We have red lights, double yellow lines, junction boxes all ignored by people driving because enforcement is practically zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭baldshin

Forster Street is another one for people abandoning cars in the loading bay/bus lane and causing chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The backward

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement