Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

As well as this they are going with the bog standard junctions. They literally have a blank sheet to work with in terms of the RAB's and they are going with the same old, same old. It remains to be seen if there will be bike priority & bus priority at the junctions.
    I agree, the proposed junction at GMIT is not DMURS compliant from a quick glance + the outline of the proposed Moneengeisha does not inspire confidence; very hard to make out, (not part of this "scheme" ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Out of interest - what exactly is wrong with the proposed junctions?

How could they be improved?

https://connachttribune.ie/city-mobility-team-presents-plans-to-reduce-traffic-flow-on-middle-street/

If the car parking on Flood Street is removed and a Contra Flow Bike lane is added - this proposal just might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

https://connachttribune.ie/city-mobility-team-presents-plans-to-reduce-traffic-flow-on-middle-street/

If the car parking on Flood Street is removed and a Contra Flow Bike lane is added - this proposal just might work.

What problem(s) is this solution trying to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What problem(s) is this solution trying to fix?
    It's to reduce traffic flow on Middle Street. It's in the article headline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Everything what she says is correct, and essentially everything what she proposes is what happened/s in cities in Europe. It's just a European standard. Galway (and generally Ireland) is so much behind this standard in urban planning & development that it's really hard to catch up.

The largest issues are historical underinvestment and secondly generally dysfunctional/non-existent local governance, where traffic agenda is managed centrally by the NTA (which favours Dublin of course) and money is all held centrally by the central government (which favours Dublin of course). There is basically no regional, local government with allocated proportionate funding per se in Ireland, as opposed to say Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria (I won't even mention the Nordic countries or Switzerland) etc. It's all centralised and local TDs, councillors need to essentially beg in Dublin for scraps.

This is a fundamental issue which needs fixing here, else, little will change, Ireland needs local government reform, an actual decentralisation, not an administrative cosmetic changes or pseudo-decentralisation (e.g. moving gov agencies to 20 different towns - that's not decentralisation).

The local council basically have money barely for maintenance and have no money for investment/development. You can't develop anything in that situation.

"Green Party senator...."

I don't need to read any further than that to know the biased opinions that will be expressed.

I see you are an open-minded person and your arguments are really rational :cool: Would you like to share those?

That street should have been pedestrianised (bar residents & supply) long time ago.

Why these half-measures, complicated, convoluted this that - just close it bar residents, issue resident permits. Done.

It's laughable that in a city that markets itself as some sort of super fancy tourist good craic destination but they let cars roam around exhausting toxic fumes while irritatating and literally endangering the tourists walking on the narrow pavements in the city centre.

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's to reduce traffic flow on Middle Street. It's in the article headline
    Who would have guessed so?

I'd aim for elimination not for reduction in this location.
    Electronic (tag) permits for residents, done and dusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry what? How is that in any way the Greens fault? Or are they just a bogeyman you blame everything you dont like on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

McGiver wrote: »
    Why these half-measures, complicated, convoluted this that - just close it bar residents, issue resident permits.
    "Why these half-measures"? Why do you think?

Because a number of (existing) city businesses will be up in arms with anything less. That's what held up the pedestrianisation of Shop Street - for decades.

Note that I'm not saying all of them - some I'm sure will welcome it, but there will a vocal minority who won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry what? How is that in any way the Greens fault? Or are they just a bogeyman you blame everything you dont like on?

Who's the Minister for Transport?

serfboard wrote:
    Note that I'm not saying all of them - some I'm sure will welcome it, but there will a vocal minority who won't.

What's their rationale? Makes no sense.

What's their rationale? Makes no sense.

Not wanting to have people p8$$ing and $hitting in their front doors overnight. Not wanting groups of street drinkers handing around the street during the day.

Of all the places in the city where traffic changes are needed, Middle Street is just so not a priority that it's not funny.

Of all the places in the city where traffic changes are needed, Middle Street is just so not a priority that it's not funny.

While the Connacht Tribune has focused on that aspect of it, its not the main aspect here. In this instance I do not see it been about car traffic at all now since Cross St has been closed. What they are trying to do belatedly is to support City Centre business. A little late at this stage I reckon.

Not wanting to have people p8$$ing and $hitting in their front doors overnight. Not wanting groups of street drinkers handing around the street during the day.

Not sure how the little road stop them from doing so.
    And the Police Force (also called Garda Siochana) is there to take care of that, right?
    That's true but you have to start somewhere...

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Who's the Minister for Transport?
    Oh right, you mean Eamon Ryan who's had that job for 3 months? Yes Im sure thats the cause of all Bus Eireanns financial problems alright and clear proof of the Greens intentions to "cancel the buses".

Oh right, you mean Eamon Ryan who's had that job for 3 months? Yes Im sure thats the cause of all Bus Eireanns financial problems alright and clear proof of the Greens intentions to "cancel the buses".

https://www.greenparty.ie/oireachtas-update-green-ministers-announce-funding-for-environmental-upgrades-built-heritage-and-youth-clubs/

He's quick enough to take credit for other stuff that's happened since he's got the job.

Okay lets see if we can follow your logic here:

You claim that the Green Party are "shutting down the buses", when asked for an explanation for this statement you point to a news report about Bus Eireann saying the pandemic and many years of general financial ill health has left certain routes non-financially viable and liable to be cut.

Apparently this is all the Green Parties fault on the basis that the minister for transport for the last 3 months is a member of the Green Party and your evidence to support this line of thinking is a Green Party press release announcing government plans for energy efficiency grants for sports clubs and public buildings?

• Advertisement

Okay lets see if we can follow your logic here:

You claim that the Green Party are "shutting down the buses", when asked for an explanation for this statement you point to a news report about Bus Eireann saying the pandemic and many years of general financial ill health has left certain routes non-financially viable and liable to be cut.

Apparently this is all the Green Parties fault on the basis that the minister for transport for the last 3 months is a member of the Green Party and your evidence to support this line of thinking is a Green Party press release announcing government plans for energy efficiency grants for sports clubs and public buildings?

I never used any of those words they are all yours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They are indeed someone else's words, but they do a fine job of attempting to explain your botched logic.

The greens are cancelling the bloody busses. They should be horses out of politics all they want to do is raise taxes.
    Where?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058117249

Bus Éireann to shut many inter-city routes due to financial pressures
    Services between Dublin and Cork, Belfast, Limerick and Galway will come to an end
    I must have imagined it then!

And the Police Force (also called Garda Siochana) is there to take care of that, right?

Do you even live in Ireland???

Frankly a half-arse pedestrianisation of Middle St, which still provides fob (or whatever) access to residents won't do anything for anyone: it won't allow the few restaurants to put out seating on the road - even if such a thing was feasible(*) in our climate. It won't do anything for the bookshop, clothing shop, the tailor, the sewing machine shop, the dentist, optician, chiropodist, dental laboratory, takeaway pizza shop, phone shop, shoe shop, hairdresser, barber, women's boutique or church.

(*) yes, I know we've been lucky this week with mild temperatures and little rain. But it's very often, and unpredictably, not like this. It's not realistic to expect restaurants to operate not knowing how many seats the weather will let them operate tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bus Éireann is to close down several of its inter-city Expressway routes as a result of financial pressures brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The greens are cancelling the bloody busses.

^ :rolleyes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/bus-éireann-to-shut-many-inter-city-routes-due-to-financial-pressures-1.4366478

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Do you even live in Ireland???

Frankly a half-arse pedestrianisation of Middle St, which still provides fob (or whatever) access to residents won't do anything for anyone: it won't allow the few restaurants to put out seating on the road - even if such a thing was feasible(*) in our climate. It won't do anything for the bookshop, clothing shop, the tailor, the sewing machine shop, the dentist, optician, chiropodist, dental laboratory, takeaway pizza shop, phone shop, shoe shop, hairdresser, barber, women's boutique or church.

(*) yes, I know we've been lucky this week with mild temperatures and little rain. But it's very often, and unpredictably, not like this. It's not realistic to expect restaurants to operate not knowing how many seats the weather will let them operate tomorrow.

Mrs Bumble what is it that you see as an optimum city centre from a transport perspective? Do you think the pre-covid traffic was just fine? Do you believe in any limits for cars anywhere in the city centre? Do you believe the pedestrianisation of Shop St was a good thing or should we open it up to car access?

It would be interesting to record useage of street dining/drinking. It doesn't rain 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

That's being implemented regardless of the outcome of the ring road. The ring road is a part of it, but the remainder of it is not contingent on the ring road being built.

Also, in the event the ring road doesn't get planning, expect to see a lot more pumped into bus, cycling and pedestrian infrastructure and increased restrictions placed on the private car

You cant close bridges and roads in the centre to private traffic in the centre of town without adding another crossing. Thats the point of it

They are indeed someone else's words, but they do a fine job of attempting to explain your botched logic.

My posts are being misrepresented as botched logic. If you're a problem with the logic contact the green party.

I must have imagined it then!

Apology accepted

• Advertisement

Apology accepted

I wasn't apologising, I was being sarcastic, you can tell because I quoted the exact posts which you had just lied about never saying. Other people were laughing at your twisted logic aswell, have a read back over it and try to understand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement