Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Laviski wrote: »
    complete self-centered cyclists at its best. continue to put themselves in danger intentionally just because some other countries have better infra for cyclists and want a complete infra first before using so until them continue to blame motorists that they perceive puts them in danger.

Nonsense. Was simply explaining why you'll not see the flow of users that there should be - it's only currently a viable commute option for cyclists that are confident enough to be assertive at the junctions and mix in lanes and roundabouts with motorists.

I use the lanes and am grateful for the resurface.

But I understand why it's currently a barrier to entry for new cyclists or those not confident to mix with traffic. I know several people that do 40-100km cycles in the rain at the weekends but wouldn't risk the Galway City roads and roundabouts Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hopefully it's a start to proper infrastructure that's safe and fit for purpose.

should have told the council to not bother then, money could be used for homeless services.
    motorists pay motor tax (depending on old you are some say this is to pay for road and water), each registered vehicle has a reg plate identifiable for breaches of of road traffic act. i could go on but these two points alone cyclist bring nothing but complaints, just basically saying thanks for the infra but we still ain't gonna use it.

you still have those people going around in bikes taking photo's/recording of motorists but they equally breaks more rules of the road and don't use the infra that is provided to them someone how they still think they have a right to complain.

Oh look, whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When you get to junctions you can dismount and cross like pedestrians.
    Something like the signage at railway crossing but for cyclist rules or signage of what they should do doesn't apply to them. Let alone think they could have some commen sense, everything got to spelt out to them with red carpet invitation..... At that they still probably ignore it cause of lack of enforcement on cyclist all the while motorist pays.

Pedestrians can barely cross at some of these roundabouts - and they dont have to wheel a bike as they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

timmyntc wrote: »
    Pedestrians can barely cross at some of these roundabouts - and they dont have to wheel a bike as they do it

PUFFin crossings I call them, because your puffing wind by the time your dash across the road is done trying to catch a breath again.
    When did Galway City sign up to the Barcelona Declaration (accessibility) again?

• Advertisement

The whole "they dont pay motortax" is a red herring argument. Most adult's who cycle on the roads are motorists as well. Am in that bracket.

Basically this argument is saying that students, children and the poor are freeloaders, same argument one hears from certain commentators about Social Policy in this Country.

It is how at a City/County level that we use the car is the problem. Our car ownership levels are still below most Northern European Country's, it is how we use them is the problem.

Good point, there are no pedestrian crossings at any of the 5 arms of the Browne roundabout despite such high pedestrian traffic in the area (students, hospital staff).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

its a miracle the world has still survived... PC gone mad.

there is crossing for pedestrians just pedestrians aren't prioritized is your problem, you will see the tiles laid down for that purpose and the kerb lowered to road level. you simple need to re learn the safe cross code.

here is a link from the rsa website

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Safe-Cross-Code/Safe-Cross-Code-Dance/

"four, let all the traffic pass you"

So no pedestrian crossings between around 7.30am and 8pm in Galway City?

Ha ha ha - the RSA.
    The fact they have to have an animation, rather than a real life film says it all.

• Advertisement

going back far enough there is a live version, what is provided is aimed for kids ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

going back far enough there is a live version, what is provided is aimed for kids ....
    It's mad that you think you're making a clever point here.

1 look for a safe place...
    It kind of fails there.

The urban road design guide says:
    'Local streets, due to their lightly-trafficked/
    low-speed nature, generally do not require
    the provision of controlled crossings. The
    provision of drop kerbs will generally
    suffice. However zebra crossings or
    courtesy crossing should be considered
    where pedestrian demands are higher
    such as around Focal Points.'
    long link address
    The Browne Roundabout only has dropped kerbs despite being relatively high speed, high volume and beside two big focal points.

if there is high speed, enforce the laws already in place, or further reduce the speed limit if current limit is excessive. As i believe such reductions are happening and i am in favor of it.

laws and common sense should be applied to all be it motorist cyclist or pedestrian which afraid is severely lacking in this country. Attitude is like Americans and their 2nd amendment.

if there is high speed, enforce the laws already in place, or further reduce the speed limit if current limit is excessive. As i believe such reductions are happening and i am in favor of it.

laws and common sense should be applied to all be it motorist cyclist or pedestrian which afraid is severely lacking in this country. Attitude is like Americans and their 2nd amendment.

No amount of speed limits will help fix the Browne roundabout - it has too much traffic to even function for cars at peak times, nevermind pedestrians (& cyclists).

It's needs dug up and stick a junction there instead.

You can't seriously say that it's a safe or easy place to cross the road?
    It's like running the gauntlet at 8am, cars flying through every exit every few seconds

No amount of speed limits will help fix the Browne roundabout - it has too much traffic to even function for cars at peak times, nevermind pedestrians (& cyclists).

It's needs dug up and stick a junction there instead.

You can't seriously say that it's a safe or easy place to cross the road?
    It's like running the gauntlet at 8am, cars flying through every exit every few seconds

lived in an estate beside there for long time. not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Roads like this were easier pre-covid, when traffic was heavier.

Now it's lighter, they're harder to cross because the traffic moves faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There was a two car smash at Nile Lodge junction earlier
    to put the other closed thread in context

The design manual for urban roads states the following about roundabouts so I have faith we'll get there eventually.

Thankfully get off your bike and walk between cars entering/exiting a roundabout isn't the official advice in the manual!
    Roundabouts

These have a wide range of capacities depending on the size and geometry of the roundabout, its approaches, and turning traffic flows, but are generally lower than signalised junctions. Large roundabouts are generally not appropriate in urban areas. They require a greater land take and are difficult for pedestrians and cyclists to navigate, particularly where controlled crossings/cycle facilities are not provided, and as such, vehicles have continuous right of way.

The use of large roundabouts (i.e. those with radii greater than 7.5m) should be restricted to areas with lower levels of pedestrian activity.

Where large roundabouts currently exist, road authorities are encouraged, as part of any major upgrade works, to replace them with signalised junctions or retrofit them so that are more compact and/or pedestrian and cycle friendly, as is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

And there we have it, a conclusive sample size based on 1 person. leave the roundabout as is, no issues to see here.

Just because you had no issues, does not equate to no one having issues. Plenty of pictures posted here over the years of people running across roundabout crossings to avoid cars, grand if your young and fit but what about elderly people or someone with kids.

• Advertisement

And there we have it, a conclusive sample size based on 1 person. leave the roundabout as is, no issues to see here.

Just because you had no issues, does not equate to no one having issues. Plenty of pictures posted here over the years of people running across roundabout crossings to avoid cars, grand if your young and fit but what about elderly people or someone with kids.

i'm the latter and again not a problem, as all you need to have is patience as alot of issues and accidents would be avoided by all users... motorist cyclist and pedestrian alike.

anyway my initial point is the sections for the cyclist were resurfaced, lets see if there is an increase usage. otherwise what was the point as money could be spent on homeless services where they are needed more.

anyway my initial point is the sections for the cyclist were resurfaced, lets see if there is an increase usage. otherwise what was the point as money could be spent on homeless services where they are needed more.

I don't think you'll see any noticable increase from the resurfacing. But it will be safer and a better ride for the existing users.

It's just basic ongoing maintenance - like fixing potholes and resurfacing the main road. I doubt the aim was to increase numbers, if it was it was misguided as you'd have much better impact spending it differently.

Some users have continued to use the main road instead of the cycle lane provided.

Where?

Was it the guy with the camera? He's a law unto himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

PUFFin crossings I call them, because your puffing wind by the time your dash across the road is done trying to catch a breath again.
    When did Galway City sign up to the Barcelona Declaration (accessibility) again?

You are seriously unfit if this is happening to you

You are seriously unfit if this is happening to you

I could be fitter, but am only doing about 40km a week active travel (cycling and walking) now, was doing average 160km pre-covid.

But unlike you - I am not "greed is good for me"! :D

I am thinking of children, people with disability's, the elderly. etc
    Keep trying.

Some users have continued to use the main road instead of the cycle lane provided.

Perfectly legal. Wouldn't do it myself, generally try and avoid this road because of the speeding, noise and air pollution on it.

This resurfacing has nothing to do with increasing Cycling no's, it was actually to spend money to provide work during the Pandemic. That is how Galway City Council Roll.
    Sure they are removing the Martin Roundabout at Galway Clinic using "Urban Regeneration" funding

Perfectly legal. Wouldn't do it myself, generally try and avoid this road because of the speeding, noise and air pollution on it.

This resurfacing has nothing to do with increasing Cycling no's, it was actually to spend money to provide work during the Pandemic. That is how Galway City Council Roll.
    Sure they are removing the Martin Roundabout at Galway Clinic using "Urban Regeneration" funding

In fairness, works on Martin roundabout are to provide better future access to Ardaun which is a new planned suburb - so that does fall under Urban Regeneration.

In fairness, works on Martin roundabout are to provide better future access to Ardaun which is a new planned suburb - so that does fall under Urban Regeneration.

At an extreme stretch, but this is not an "Urban" area in any dictionary that I know. (I am all for the removal of the Martin roundabout - delighted to see it go, just believe the funding for it should have come from a "Roads" pot and not from an "Urban Regeneration" pot, that could easily have been used in the City itself)

• Advertisement

lets see if there is an increase usage.

How do you propose to measure the future usage?

How was past usage measured?

Counting how many cycle past you while you sit in traffic?

It's a serious failing of the council that they don't have a methodology for regular measurement of commuter types be they walkers, cyclists, motorists or bus users. Something similar to the canal cordon count done by DCC would be a good way.

If you can't measure it, you can't improve it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement