Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sigh, this old chestnut being pulled out as a weak justification to stymie progress and change.

As stated numerous times before, nobody is being excluded, in fact the changes, when fully implemented, will lead to a far higher degree of accessibility.

For further details I suggest you read the GTS in full to avoid poor attempts at trolling that make you look silly

I'm sure these altruists that care so much for the elderly and disabled are already walking and taking public transport to leave more space on the roads for those that need it so badly. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm sure these altruists that care so much for the elderly and disabled are already walking and taking public transport to leave more space on the roads for those that need it so badly. Right?

Well I certainly am. Don't own a vehicle, rent a car maybe twice a year for a few days, and maybe once a month for a couple of hours.

Dunno about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

xckjoo wrote: »
    Did you forget about the thousands of students in NUIG and all the houses in that direction?

The base of a bridge is already there over the corrib for the old railway line. If it's to get to nuig use that. The location of this planned second pedestrian bridge is a waste of money

The base of a bridge is already there over the corrib for the old railway line. If it's to get to nuig use that. The location of this planned second pedestrian bridge is a waste of money

You're going to love this so, those pillars are also planned to be used as part of the Clifden - Galway greenway.

Well I certainly am. Don't own a vehicle, rent a car maybe twice a year for a few days, and maybe once a month for a couple of hours.

Dunno about anyone else.

But you also think drivers are needed for crime prevention so shame on you for not doing your part to keep the city safe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Close Wolfe tone bridge instead, it'll discommode far less people and is linked to a pedestrian bridge so no need to build this extra unneeded bridge. There aren't hordes of people needing 2 pedestrian bridges to nuns island.

If you walk across the salmon weir bridge in normal times you will see how unbelievably dangerous that bridge is and how many pedestrians use it. I have to walk on the car lane half the time as the footpaths are so narrow. The pedestrian bridge is well overdue and will really improve that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

yer man! wrote: »
    If you walk across the salmon weir bridge in normal times you will see how unbelievably dangerous that bridge is and how many pedestrians use it. I have to walk on the car lane half the time as the footpaths are so narrow. The pedestrian bridge is well overdue and will really improve that area.
    No! Change bad!

The school streets trial is starting on Monday for Scoil Iognáid

More info on Green Schools - https://greenschoolsireland.org/
    Pilot scheme pedestrianising westside streets from Monday for school trips

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/transport/pilot-scheme-pedestrianising-westside-streets-from-monday-for-school-trips/

Several streets in the westside of Galway City will be pedestrianised during school opening and closing times from next week as part of a pilot project.

Starting from Monday, November 30 Palmyra Row, Palmyra Avenue and Raleigh Row will be pedestrianised between 8:15am and 9:15am, as well as 1:15pm to 2:45pm.

This is part of a ‘School Streets’ pilot project that the city council is carrying out in partnership with Scoil Iognáid to make the streets safer for school children.

Residents will still have access to their homes during these times, as will ‘blue badge’ holders or cyclists accessing the school.

“The street isn’t physically wide enough for cars to interact safely with the volume of vulnerable road users coming to our school by bike, or on foot,” a leaflet for the pilot scheme states.

“Children coming to school on foot/ by bike, and children with mobility issues experience significant difficulty accessing the school, with cars blocking their safe access.”

The road closures will only apply during school term times when students are coming and going.

This project is funded by the National Transport Authority, and delivered with the support of the Green-Schools Travel programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

“The street isn’t physically wide enough for cars to interact safely with the volume of vulnerable road users coming to our school by bike, or on foot,”
    Who admits this line? The primary school? Have they taken a stand on this anytime in the last thirty years?
    The line applies to every single school, creche, etc

yer man! wrote: »

Lived in the area for years so I'm well aware of the issues. Doesn't take away from the fact that we will now have 2 pedestrian bridges within 100 yards ( 3 if the other poster is correct) . The council appear to be creating a non existent problem to justify building an unnecessary bridge.

If they are determined to build this bridge then it should be capable of taking traffic and the salmon weir bridge should be pedestrianised.

• Advertisement

Lived in the area for years so I'm well aware of the issues. Doesn't take away from the fact that we will now have 2 pedestrian bridges within 100 yards ( 3 if the other poster is correct) . The council appear to be creating a non existent problem to justify building an unnecessary bridge.

If they are determined to build this bridge then it should be capable of taking traffic and the salmon weir bridge should be pedestrianised.

Why exactly? The Salmon Weir bridge is capable of supporting the buses that'll be going over it so what's the issue? And it'll be 1 pedestrian bridge and one bridge for buses (with a path so tourists can look at the weir or whatever).

The school streets trial is starting on Monday for Scoil Iognáid

More info on Green Schools - https://greenschoolsireland.org/
    Great initiative. I wonder how it'll be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

The salmon weir bridge is suitable for the future purpose of public transport. Especially now without cars blocking up the box junctions on the turns.

The existing bridge is also unsafe for the level of foot traffic and has been for years. Since we're not planning to channel more private motor traffic into the city centre it makes perfect sense to build a pedestrian bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

zell12 wrote: »
    Who admits this line? The primary school? Have they taken a stand on this anytime in the last thirty years?
    The line applies to every single school, creche, etc
    In fariness to the Jes primary school, I've seen the mess that is Raleigh Row at school pickup time, and it is pretty bad - I would challenge you to find a narrower road outside any primary school in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

serfboard wrote: »
    In fariness to the Jes primary school, I've seen the mess that is Raleigh Row at school pickup time, and it is pretty bad - I would challenge you to find a narrower road outside any primary school in Galway city.
    Sherwood Avenue
    Lombard Street
    Waterside

I have seen the bin truck getting stuck there due to wanton abandonment of cars by tubby hubbies and yummy mummies
    All schools have the issue, there is no enforcement.

I would challenge you to find a narrower road outside any primary school in Galway city.
    Sherwood Avenue - irrelevant, because there are two other roads outside Scoil Fhursa, where the actual pickups are done - both of which are wider than Raleigh Row.
    Lombard Street - Not narrower than Raleigh Row.
    Waterside - Outside St Nicholas school is not narrower than Raleigh Row.
    All schools have the issue
    Don't disagree
    there is no enforcement.
    What kind of enforcement do you want? Gardai arresting mothers doing school pick-ups?

Panda5000 wrote: »
    The salmon weir bridge is suitable for the future purpose of public transport. Especially now without cars blocking up the box junctions on the turns.

The existing bridge is also unsafe for the level of foot traffic and has been for years. Since we're not planning to channel more private motor traffic into the city centre it makes perfect sense to build a pedestrian bridge.

The problem of the s turn and it getting blocked hasn't been solved. And as another poster has pointed out people want to walk on the salmon Weir bridge to look at the Weir. The obvious and progressive way to solve this is to make the new bridge capable of taking traffic and making the salmon weir bridge a pedestrian bridge.

The problem of the s turn and it getting blocked hasn't been solved. And as another poster has pointed out people want to walk on the salmon Weir bridge to look at the Weir. The obvious and progressive way to solve this is to make the new bridge capable of taking traffic and making the salmon weir bridge a pedestrian bridge.

What you're suggesting is needlessly more expensive. The S turn will not be an issue as we don't need nearly as many buses crossing that bridge as private cars to carry the same amount (or more) people. Buses will give each other space for the turn.

About the new bridge being better used as a new bridge for motor traffic, upon review it was decided by the council to discount that option for a few reasons:
    • It would have been significantly more expensive and complex to build such a bridge as opposed to one for pedestrian and bike traffic,
    • The view of the weir is a protected view and is retained by keeping the north footpath,
    • The new bridge will also offer great views of the Salmon Weir bridge itself,
    • Doing it this way allows for the development of a plaza area on the Cathedral side which can serve several functions,
    • From an environmental perspective, it is a much better option to go for the pedestrian/cyclist bridge, so much so that ABP didn't even ask for an EIS to be completed as apart from a negligible amount of construction dust & debris, its going to have virtually no negative effects on the river as it spans across it without any part coming into contact with it. This would not be possible with a new bridge for vehicular traffic

As for the s turn, issues with it being blocked are virtually eliminated once private motor traffic is removed.

Finally, as to whether they should build it or not, that decision has already been made with it being approved at the council level and being funded by central govt to the tune of several million. Its coming and soon, planned opening is Q2 2022

534703.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

As for the s turn, issues with it being blocked are virtually eliminated once private motor traffic is removed.

who said anything about motor traffice causing this..... pedestrians and cyclists are the ones liable to get hurt here. they are in harms way each time a bus or any large vehicle, as some of those driver regularly hit onto the footpath.

I've seen people get hit on the head with the driver mirrors when two buses coming in opposite directions.

so don't know how this is going to resolve that hazard.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    who said anything about motor traffice causing this..... pedestrians and cyclists are the ones liable to get hurt here. they are in harms way each time a bus or any large vehicle, as some of those driver regularly hit onto the footpath.

I've seen people get hit on the head with the driver mirrors when two buses coming in opposite directions.

so don't know how this is going to resolve that hazard.

What's that got to do with the s bend at the court house that dacor and gekko were discussing?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... funded by central govt to the tune of several million. Its coming and soon, planned opening is Q2 2022

Which part of the 2021 budget includes it?

Until we know more about the on-going commercial and travel-patterns impact of Covid and Brexit, I'm not sure that the government should be starting building work on much at all.

About the new bridge being better used as a new bridge for motor traffic, upon review it was decided by the council to discount that option for a few reasons:
    • It would have been significantly more expensive and complex to build such a bridge as opposed to one for pedestrian and bike traffic,
    • The view of the weir is a protected view and is retained by keeping the north footpath,
    • The new bridge will also offer great views of the Salmon Weir bridge itself,
    • Doing it this way allows for the development of a plaza area on the Cathedral side which can serve several functions,
    • From an environmental perspective, it is a much better option to go for the pedestrian/cyclist bridge, so much so that ABP didn't even ask for an EIS to be completed as apart from a negligible amount of construction dust & debris, its going to have virtually no negative effects on the river as it spans across it without any part coming into contact with it. This would not be possible with a new bridge for vehicular traffic
    Another point about the new pedestrian bridge is that it will tie in very nicely with the existing riverside walk from Wolfe Tone bridge. When the riverside walk was built I wondered why they didn't complete it to the Salmon Weir bridge, but with the new pedestrian bridge they won't have to.

Which part of the 2021 budget includes it?

As stated in the previous article "The project has already secured €3.5 million in funding from the government, which has been allocated under the Designated Urban Centres grant scheme."

Final funding for the construction comes around the tender stage

The consultation documents also state "GCC secured co-funding for the proposed development under the European Regional development Fund with matched funding from the NTA. The proposed development has secured a total of 7.2 million euro in funding, paving the way for the construction of the new pedestrian and cycle bridge, upgrade works to the amenity area on Friar's River embankment and to the existing footpaths at the tie-in points on the western and eastern side of the proposed bridge"
    Until we know more about the on-going commercial and travel-patterns impact of Covid and Brexit, I'm not sure that the government should be starting building work on much at all.

The economy is projected to return to pre-covid levels around 2022

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1201/1181562-ifac-govt-expenditure-commitments/

Brexit,well that's anyone's guess but infrastructure investment is best done during periods of economic slowness anyway and the cost of this is tiny in comparison to other expenditure

When the riverside walk was built I wondered why they didn't complete it to the Salmon Weir bridge, but with the new pedestrian bridge they won't have to.

Does anyone know is this path pedestrian only or intended as shared path with cyclists? I'm never sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is this path pedestrian only or intended as shared path with cyclists? I'm never sure...

Shared, this new Bridge at its widest it is 9m, but 4.5m at Newtownsmith end one could see potential for conflicts, however the fact that the Salmon Weir Bridge will be a bus gate when this bridge will be opened, can see many people cycling still use that, once the Railway bridge Greenway is open - going to get even more distribution of people cycling and walking over the Corrib.

Shared

Is it written, signposted or indicated anywhere? Could never find indication, asked the council but they never replied.

the fact that the Salmon Weir Bridge will be a bus gate when this bridge will be opened, can see many people cycling still use that
    Of course they will because the existing bridge will be empty most of the time.

And speaking of the Salmon Weir bridge, my anecdotal evidence is that the majority of people do not know that this is going to happen. When it does, I think that there will be uproar.

There will also, I reckon, be huge tailbacks on the QCB, because for an East-West car journey, of the four bridges across the Corrib:
    • O'Briens bridge will be unreachable,
    • the Salmon Weir will be unusable,
    • the congested Wolfe Tone bridge will become undrivable, leaving only
    • the QCB, which will become unmanageable.

• Advertisement

And speaking of the Salmon Weir bridge, my anecdotal evidence is that the majority of people do not know that this is going to happen. When it does, I think that there will be uproar.

What do they say about horse and drinking water?

There have been news report all along the process on GBFM radio, GB site, Galway Daily site, Connacht & City Tribunes, Advertiser etc.

Also promoted on the GCC website and twitter.

There has also been a widely publicized information portal created for each part of the GTS underway so far (Salmon Weir, Dublin Rd, & Core Corridors).

I'm not sure what else can be done apart from doing a mailing drop with an information leaflet but then you'll have a load of those not read either so....
    There will also, I reckon, be huge tailbacks on the QCB, because for an East-West car journey, of the four bridges across the Corrib:
    • O'Briens bridge will be unreachable,
    • the Salmon Weir will be unusable,
    • the congested Wolfe Tone bridge will become undrivable, leaving only
    • the QCB, which will become unmanageable.

There will be some impacts initially however what you are likely to see if a further modal shift towards walking, cycling and buses as a result of this work.

There is also the well known phenomenon of disappearing traffic which we will likely see some of here as people adjust their travelling options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement