Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

In fairness though they do end up blocking cars back as far as the next junction which starts a domino effect. This is the case at a lot of bus stops in the city and where possible the council should look at putting in a recessed stop. While this is not possible everywhere, there is some places that could it which might help provide some relief on traffic.

Buses are not blocking cars. Cars are blocking cars. It's called traffic congestion.

Buses take cars off the road. If every adult currently travelling by bus drove their own car instead, there would be even more cars blocking cars. Then the people in cars would blame the traffic on other drivers, and on a supposed lack of road space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ruhanna wrote: »
    Buses are not blocking cars. Cars are blocking cars. It's called traffic congestion.

Buses take cars off the road. If every adult currently travelling by bus drove their own car instead, there would be even more cars blocking cars. Then the people in cars would blame the traffic on other drivers, and on a supposed lack of road space.

Except when buses ARE blocking cars, which further back blocks other buses, it's a knock on effect. Nobody is suggesting removing buses, the suggestion is somewhere for the bus to pull in to allow maximum traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Recessed bus spaces become private car spaces. Bus cannot pull in, they still have to disembark people, cars back up. Heavily evident at Spanish Arch/Jurys area. Witness same all over Galway.

Partly because we design places without drop-off zones: if someone gives me a lift home ( happens once a week or so) then the jury's bus stop is pretty much the only safe, convenient-ish place for me to get out of the car.

Ruhanna wrote: »

Busses stopping in the middle of the roads to unload a full load of students are 100% blocking the road and holding up cars, other busses, trucks etc. Causing knock on issues all around the area and generally being a nuisance. It’s unacceptable.

If you have no issue with a bus stopping in the middle of the road to let people off you should have no issue with a car stopping to do the same. Absolutely no difference.

A bus should be pulling in off the roads to let people on and off simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jjpep wrote: »
    Yep, and this is back to one of the underlying causes of traffic issues in Galway, zero enforcement. We can't have bus stops because people will park in then, we can't have bike lanes because the same. We have red lights, double yellow lines, junction boxes all ignored by people driving because enforcement is practically zero.

Enforcement is certainly an issue, but there is a deeper issue about the culture of widespread lawbreaking by motorists, and the general acceptance of this in society. We've moved on a little bit in that drink driving is generally unacceptable, but we've still a long way to go around speeding, dangerous parking, phone use and more. We all have a part to play in making this unacceptable.

If you have no issue with a bus stopping in the middle of the road to let people off you should have no issue with a car stopping to do the same. Absolutely no difference.
    It's amazing that you need it spelt out to you, but here goes - the difference is that the bus has about 50 people on it, 50 people who've gone out of their way to use a mode of transport that has minimal impact on traffic and on the environment. The car has about 1 people in it, people who've gone out of their way to use a mode of transport that has maximum impact on traffic and the environment. It's road democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's amazing that you need it spelt out to you, but here goes - the difference is that the bus has about 50 people on it, 50 people who've gone out of their way to use a mode of transport that has minimal impact on traffic and on the environment. The car has about 1 people in it, people who've gone out of their way to use a mode of transport that has maximum impact on traffic and the environment. It's road democracy.

No one is saying to take the buses off the road, it would be nice to keep the traffic flowing if possible. Of course recessed stops won't cure traffic but will help move things along and that can only be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I don't normally have to tackle morning city traffic living and working out in the county, but I'm heading in for jury duty Tuesday. Had figured I'll head for dyke rd car park probably for 9 in the morning, is it going to be a disaster?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I don't normally have to tackle morning city traffic living and working out in the county, but I'm heading in for jury duty Tuesday. Had figured I'll head for dyke rd car park probably for 9 in the morning, is it going to be a disaster?!

There is a road up by the Menlo park hotel and along the dyke road where would can avoid Wood Quay and come up right to the black box car park and you are 5 minute walk from the court house then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

jk23 wrote: »
    There is a road up by the Menlo park hotel and along the dyke road where would can avoid Wood Quay and come up right to the black box car park and you are 5 minute walk from the court house then...

Ya im actually familiar enough with that route and a few of the other rat runs, im just worried that at half 8\9 its all going to be mental. Or the car park full by the time I get there.

Ya im actually familiar enough with that route and a few of the other rat runs, im just worried that at half 8\9 its all going to be mental. Or the car park full by the time I get there.

It this storm is a bad as predicted there might be alot of free spaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Generally with any wind warning I find traffic congestion drops dramatically in Galway.

That is all irrelevant to the fact a bus should not be stopping in the middle of the road causing congestion and frustration, it should be off the road for loading and unloading particularly in a case like the school bus being discussed which should be on school grounds and not on the middle of a busy road holding up cars, other busses, trucks etc.

As for a car having 1 people in it (great English btw), in the example I gave of stopping in the middle of the road to let people off there would naturally be more than one person.

It’s laughable there are people complaining about cars stopping outside boojum which is no different to a bus stopping in the middle of the road both hold up other road users.

I don’t know why I even bother you believe so much in your own anti car cult nonsense you can’t even begin to see the issues in busses blocking the road in the area being discussed.

It never fills as far as I’m aware so that won’t be an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why not just overtake the bus? The road is two lanes wide surely? Or is it that the one-person-per-private-vehicle-traffic coming from the opposite direction that prevents this maneuver? I wonder if cyclists/motorcyclists were inconvenienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jk23 wrote: »
    It this storm is a bad as predicted there might be alot of free spaces

Storm is Monday, poster is talking about Tuesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Generally with any wind warning I find traffic congestion drops dramatically in Galway.
    Aye. Stop, position legs apart and shout "Hold for Fart" and traffic congestion evaporates

Storm is Monday, poster is talking about Tuesday!!

Sorry I didn't realise that!

That is all irrelevant to the fact a bus should not be stopping in the middle of the road causing congestion and frustration, it should be off the road for loading and unloading particularly in a case like the school bus being discussed which should be on school grounds and not on the middle of a busy road holding up cars, other busses, trucks etc.

As for a car having 1 people in it (great English btw), in the example I gave of stopping in the middle of the road to let people off there would naturally be more than one person.

It’s laughable there are people complaining about cars stopping outside boojum which is no different to a bus stopping in the middle of the road both hold up other road users.

I don’t know why I even bother you believe so much in your own anti car cult nonsense you can’t even begin to see the issues in busses blocking the road in the area being discussed.
    Presumably, the bus isn't 'in the middle of the road' but is actually at the kerb, letting passengers out onto the path, right? So why don't the mostly single occupant cars just pass the bus and move on? Oh wait, there's a pile of mostly single occupant cars coming the other way - but yeah, the bus is the problem.

No one is saying to take the buses off the road, it would be nice to keep the traffic flowing if possible. Of course recessed stops won't cure traffic but will help move things along and that can only be positive.

Unfortunately, when such facilities are provided, they are often taken over by parked cars.

https://twitter.com/fixlimerickbus/status/1200839383110344706?s=20

Presumably, the bus isn't 'in the middle of the road' but is actually at the kerb, letting passengers out onto the path, right? So why don't the mostly single occupant cars just pass the bus and move on? Oh wait, there's a pile of mostly single occupant cars coming the other way - but yeah, the bus is the problem.

Unfortunately, when such facilities are provided, they are often taken over by parked cars.

https://twitter.com/fixlimerickbus/status/1200839383110344706?s=20

You don’t even know the area being discussed. You are going around boards looking for any thread you can complain about cars in.

Firstly the road is very narrow and it is a busy road so getting past a bus is not easy. Secondly this is dropping of at a school that has massive grounds, many acres of grounds in the city and enough space far more busses than it will ever need to safely park away from a busy public thoroughfare. You are seriously deluded if you think it’s acceptable for busses to block a public road and cause knock on traffic issues as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

You don’t even know the area being discussed. You are going around boards looking for any thread you can complain about cars in.

Firstly the road is very narrow and it is a busy road so getting past a bus is not easy. Secondly this is dropping of at a school that has massive grounds, many acres of grounds in the city and enough space far more busses than it will ever need to safely park away from a busy public thoroughfare. You are seriously deluded if you think it’s acceptable for busses to block a public road and cause knock on traffic issues as a result.

Exactly nox ... It's only a small thing in the big picture but it shouldn't be tolerated.
    Same as vecihcles parked up all along foster street ( some owned by shop owners ) blocking bus lanes .
    Vecihcles parked up all day on eglinton street ( the im only popping into the shop for a second brigade ) causing traffic issuses especially for BUSES that are trying to keep to a timetable .
    More examples of village galway at its worse !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Same as vecihcles parked up all along foster street ( some owned by shop owners ) blocking bus lanes .

Is that part of the bus lane 24/7
    Vecihcles parked up all day on eglinton street ( the im only popping into the shop for a second brigade ) causing traffic issuses especially for BUSES that are trying to keep to a timetable .

Some parking there is actually legal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Is that part of the bus lane 24/7

Some parking there is actually legal...

I witness especially at weekends ( because galway regarding enforcement works mon to fri 9am to 5pm ) vecihcles parked all along foster street .... Which means you have 3 roads ... College road inbound / road that's comes around from go bus station/ road coming down by foster court funnelling into now one road .
    Foster street should be 2 lanes .
    One lane for outbound to salthill and other lane for turning right to go up eyre square .
    Plastic bollards should be erected to keep motorists to the correct lane .
    Proper signage should be put in place as in above head level to tell motorists which lane to be in .
    At weekends especially Sunday's vecihcles park free of charge all along eglinton street ... Why ???
    Because they know they can get away with it .
    What day of the week is one of the busiest for coach tours ??
    Sunday's !!
    The amount of times I see coaches struggling to ge down side by side because???
    Abandoned vecihcles along eglinton street .

Narrow because of the parking bays opposite the school?

https://goo.gl/maps/96juMVKKybFsscMdA

Maybe if we stop using public space for storing private property, maybe there will be enough space for traffic to flow?
    As for a car having 1 people in it (great English btw)

tenor.gif?itemid=7319521

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Exactly nox ... It's only a small thing in the big picture but it shouldn't be tolerated.
    More examples of village galway at its worse !!
    Had a bus driver scream out the window at a driver in that lane before. Thought I was going to see a fist fight. Made me realise how zen the bus drivers generally are to put up with Galway driving :pac:

xckjoo wrote: »
    Had a bus driver scream out the window at a driver in that lane before. Thought I was going to see a fist fight. Made me realise how zen the bus drivers generally are to put up with Galway driving :pac:
    They've been told to blare their horn at the inconsiderate car litterers.. and they do!

Narrow because of the parking bays opposite the school?

https://goo.gl/maps/96juMVKKybFsscMdA

Maybe if we stop using public space for storing private property, maybe there will be enough space for traffic to flow?

tenor.gif?itemid=7319521

Parking is essential for residents and visitors alike so don’t even start with that rubbish.

Not having busses stopping in the middle of the road is the solution to the issues with busses blocking the road.

Parking is essential for residents and visitors alike so don’t even start with that rubbish.

Not having busses stopping in the middle of the road is the solution to the issues with busses blocking the road.
    And having less cars on the road is the solution to the issue with all car traffic blocking the road ;)

If parking is 'essential' then maybe they need to provide their own parking space on their own property as many of the the houses along that stretch have done, rather than expecting the public to subsidise their transport choices.

If parking is 'essential' then maybe they need to provide their own parking space on their own property as many of the the houses along that stretch have done, rather than expecting the public to subsidise their transport choices.
    Not all houses have space in front to convert. Some pre-date the roads. Mine was in the country when it was built. Then all the interlopers built around it over the centuries.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not all houses have space in front to convert. Some pre-date the roads. Mine was in the country when it was built. Then all the interlopers built around it over the centuries.

On this particular stretch opposite the school, the houses all seem to have similar depth of gardens. Some have converted these into driveways. Some have nice pretty gardens which presumably leads to cars parked on the road and footpath.

Let them provide their own parking spaces for storing their own private property. If they actually don't have enough room in front for a space, then let them find paid parking elsewhere, not on a public road.

• Advertisement

They mostly park partially or fully on the footpath, to avoid scratches from passing vehicles or deliberately take up pedestrian space. Council refuse to enforce it.
    oKpWY0k.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement