Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

As do Farrells (Athenry) - providers of the only NightLink bus in the county.

Thats true, forgot about them, add 2 additional buses on Fri & Sat

Also forgot to reduce to 2, Burkes on Sat & reduce to zero for Burkes on Sunday

Not unmanageable numbers to overcome with a modification to the routes for those few buses for the short period this will be in place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thats true, forgot about them, add 2 additional buses on Fri & Sat

Not sure where you got those from.

Farrells website say 4 buses on Fri, Sat and bank holiday Sun nite. Last daylink is due at Eyre Square at 5:37pm.

And we also forgot Bus Feda (1 daily, 3 on sunday). And Bus4u (1 daily after 6pm).

What alternative route do you suggest if BE won't share?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Farrells website say 4 buses on Fri, Sat and bank holiday Sun nite. Last daylink is due at Eyre Square at 5:37pm.

And we also forgot Bus Feda (1 daily, 3 on sunday). And Bus4u (1 daily after 6pm).

Can't they go up Fairgreen onto Lough Atalia and around by Merchants Rd back to the Square. Fook all traffic after 6 so it won't add much to journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Re: Forster Street
    All City Direct buses go Eyre Sq -> Prospect Hill -> Forster St -> Eyre Sq -> Eglinton St -> Knocknacarra
    There is one every 30min after 6pm

The road will be closed from 6-11pm. I listed the buses affected by those closure times

• Advertisement

Salthill Sundays continuing this week, growing in numbers every week. Expect heavy delays for anyone driving around the city on Sunday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=117458670491976&id=108097558094754&anchor_composer=false

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Salthill Sundays continuing this week, growing in numbers every week. Expect heavy delays for anyone driving around the city on Sunday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=117458670491976&id=108097558094754&anchor_composer=false

How long were they there the last time?
    If it's 20-30 minutes, maybe ok, but not half the afternoon with engines roaring and radios blaring.
    I get they want to enjoy their motors and showoff, but no one bar themselves wants them. It's selfish to ruin the prom for everyone

They gathered over in Terryland first with some messing in the car park.
    https://m.tiktok.com/v/6963234620229963013.html?_d=secCgYIASAHKAESMgowtKF5uLje4iBgA9krqS7fxH4PCCeKiV4%2FAob31horL%2B3JXZ6N2wi3hKhrbGPjT4oXGgA%3D&language=en&preview_pb=0&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAAeXqK8Ow2o_q9Z0EZLspatshksR00-jo0fjrkP_bt-qMj9135eNVYPMnp-0RqayCO&share_app_id=1233&share_item_id=6963234620229963013&share_link_id=71294adc-6745-477d-bbda-9a76f8dc2335&source=h5_m&timestamp=1621331963&u_code=d925abag97k369&user_id=6751835986558567430&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=android&utm_source=copy

Apparently they tried to move the group to the Black Box, which would actually be a decent spot for this type of meet.

Then they headed through the city to Salthill to "fill salthill prom", doing laps between the roundabouts for most of the afternoon with a few continuing on into the evening.

It's a copy of "Port Sundays" in the coastal town of Portstewart up the north.

Once they're finished with the Covid testing at the airport, that'd be a good spot for these meets without disrupting others going about their days.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Looks like they are expecting a large crowd this weekend and they basically have told the Messer's to stay as they want this to be a regular meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

They gathered over in Terryland first with some messing in the car park.
    https://m.tiktok.com/v/6963234620229963013.html?_d=secCgYIASAHKAESMgowtKF5uLje4iBgA9krqS7fxH4PCCeKiV4%2FAob31horL%2B3JXZ6N2wi3hKhrbGPjT4oXGgA%3D&language=en&preview_pb=0&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAAeXqK8Ow2o_q9Z0EZLspatshksR00-jo0fjrkP_bt-qMj9135eNVYPMnp-0RqayCO&share_app_id=1233&share_item_id=6963234620229963013&share_link_id=71294adc-6745-477d-bbda-9a76f8dc2335&source=h5_m&timestamp=1621331963&u_code=d925abag97k369&user_id=6751835986558567430&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=android&utm_source=copy

Apparently they tried to move the group to the Black Box, which would actually be a decent spot for this type of meet.

Then they headed through the city to Salthill to "fill salthill prom", doing laps between the roundabouts for most of the afternoon with a few continuing on into the evening.

It's a copy of "Port Sundays" in the coastal town of Portstewart up the north.

Once they're finished with the Covid testing at the airport, that'd be a good spot for these meets without disrupting others going about their days.

Seemingly they tried to get the airport a few yrs ago and the council said no, council reckoned it would be too loud, The organizers offered to be finished up early in the evening and carry out noise assessments and still they got refused.

• Advertisement

spud65 wrote: »
    Looks like they are expecting a large crowd this weekend and they basically have told the Messer's to stay as they want this to be a regular meet up.

Bet The Village crowd wish they had more infrastructure for bikes now and less for cars

Yet another reason to avoid Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Was 35 minutes on Bothar na Treabh yesterday about 3pm going into town. Incredible.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Was 35 minutes on Bothar na Treabh yesterday about 3pm going into town. Incredible.
    That is reasonable pace for a walk. Nothing to be ashamed about ;)

bobbyss wrote: »

Incredible indeed, I'd struggle to maintain balance cycling that slow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Heavy traffic there now as we passed the other way. Its backed halfway up and the Tuam Rd exit coming from Ballybane junction is also backed up. The boy racers are en route to Salthill and plenty of other plonkers in the same line of traffic with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I just walked the Prom between 13:30 and 14:00, from Grattan to Blackrock and back. It's basically bumper to bumper. It's also backed up (incoming) well beyond Blackrock, at least up as far as the golf course entrance, and also coming down Threadneedle from what I could see.

There was a double-decker bus (401) heading in towards the city. At the rate it was (or wasn't) going, it might reach Parkmore before nightfall.

There are two Gardai on duty at the entrance to the main car park in Salthill, which is not even half-full, very likely a deliberate move.

I think this simply needs to be put to the business owners in Salthill.

If their revenues are up, then anyone who doesn't like the traffic kind of needs to suck it up.

If they're down then they need to stamp this out as it's just turning Salthill into a no go zone.

I'd hazard a guess though that 99% of them aren't spending a penny and hurting business owners in Salthill by driving others away.

How do you stamp it out?
    I doubt they are breaking laws by being annoying.

Salthill is pro car, what did they expect

• Advertisement

Well they wanted more car traffic and the cones & barriers removed..and they got it :pac:
    Serious gridlock around at the minute, any word from Councillors on this congestion? Will the bypass solve it? *L*

I think this simply needs to be put to the business owners in Salthill.

If their revenues are up, then anyone who doesn't like the traffic kind of needs to suck it up.

If they're down then they need to stamp this out as it's just turning Salthill into a no go zone.

I'd hazard a guess though that 99% of them aren't spending a penny and hurting business owners in Salthill by driving others away.
    Kelleher's filling station in Grattan was getting a lot of business from the boy racers a couple of hours ago, but how much will it lose over the rest of day, as so many other people can't get into Salthill? Then there must be a lot of people in or around Salthill who saw what was coming, and decided to head elsewhere for the day? The supermarkets, other shops & food outlets are all likely to suffer.

How do you stamp it out?
    I doubt they are breaking laws by being annoying.
    Well, there are laws on sound and air pollution by road vehicles. The vast majority are breaking the first, and many the second too. If they knew they were going to get pulled up for what's coming out of their exhausts, maybe they'd think twice about coming here.

But then the motorbike crowd have been active since the start of the year, and no-one has done anything about them that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

klr87 wrote: »
    But then the motorbike crowd have been active since the start of the year, and no-one has done anything about them that I can see.

To be fair, that crowd aren't going to be holding up the whole city as much as a vehicle that is three times as wide and more ungainly. One would hope also that their driving would be more considerate, relative to these boyos, given that a mistake at speed will turn them into a bit rustly bag of skin.

zell12 wrote: »
    Well they wanted more car traffic and the cones & barriers removed..and they got it :pac:
    Serious gridlock around at the minute, any word from Councillors on this congestion? Will the bypass solve it? *L*
    I suspect that was asked tongue-in-cheek ...

Anyway, if you're living in Salthill, and have legitimate business elsewhere in the city (as a friend of mine had about an hour ago), then a bypass won't help from an influx of cars hell-bent on taking over Salthill for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Who are these boy racers? What's their plan? To race? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bet The Village crowd wish they had more infrastructure for bikes now and less for cars

Yet another reason to avoid Salthill

If there was no waterfront side parking in Salthill, it would be even better for a run of car enthusiasts who want to show off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Who spends time and money modifying their car to spend it gridlocked, going 1 mile an hour?

Surely this is shooting fish in a barrel for the gardai. Fines for every illegal modification and impound if necessary.
    Would stop it dead I would've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

It’s been going on all day now. All the engine-revving and the skidding. Eejits.

Sorry but they are!/ rant over

• Advertisement

Just back from another walk/reconnaissance.

There are two Gardai at the roundabout near Blackrock, screening inbound traffic from Knocknacarra and Threadneedle road. I watched them for a few minutes. Basically, any car with boy and/or girl racers was directed up Threadneedle. I saw several cars having to U-turn around the roundabout and go back up Threadneedle from whence they came. "Normal" traffic was let through.

There are still a lot of racers along the Prom, but the traffic is flowing a bit better.

I had a look at the coffee shop near the diving tower, and it had a very small queue. Usually at this time of a Sunday, it would be backed up almost as far as the public toilets. The weather isn't great today, but it's dry, and there ought to be a lot more people strolling the promenade than there are.

Also, the main car park is probably not even 20% full now, and there's a squad car beside the entrance. All the cars that are not there represent lost revenue for the area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement