Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of cars broke down around the city at rush hour the day before the election...
    Mystic Meg forecasts :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

The urbanisation arguement also needs more of a carrot and stick approach. A lot of high quality apartments close to transport corridors need to be built in Galway to naturally reduce down the amount of commuting into the city. The old crown site will be a good example, lots of apartments going in there, close to the business parks and bus routes. If you have reduced numbers of parking spaces in these developments or charge owners or tenants to buy/rent them, you would have a lot of residents willing to forego the car when previously they would have had one because it was easy. Of course if they need the car, grand you can have a space, that will be €100 per month please. I lived in apartments like this in Dublin, I paid the charge as it was short term but it's a huge incentive to get rid of it when you only use it about one day a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

zell12 wrote: »
    I fear it will work!
    Those 4.5m billboards are going up at all the main junctions in Galway, where traffic builds

Report him for littering. You can't just erect posters wherever you like, even during an election period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

yer man! wrote: »
    The urbanisation arguement also needs more of a carrot and stick approach. A lot of high quality apartments close to transport corridors need to be built in Galway to naturally reduce down the amount of commuting into the city. The old crown site will be a good example, lots of apartments going in there, close to the business parks and bus routes. If you have reduced numbers of parking spaces in these developments or charge owners or tenants to buy/rent them, you would have a lot of residents willing to forego the car when previously they would have had one because it was easy. Of course if they need the car, grand you can have a space, that will be €100 per month please. I lived in apartments like this in Dublin, I paid the charge as it was short term but it's a huge incentive to get rid of it when you only use it about one day a week.

Agree with the sentiment of your post - but the Crown site here in Galway City might not be the best example to follow. Far more commercial(office and hotel) going into that site than residential which is a pity. It is a step in the right direction though but would like to have seen far more residential. Current split is 1 to 6, should be aiming for 1 to 1.5
    https://crownsquare.ie/
    How it is going to affect the road network around it when finished is going to be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Agree with the sentiment of your post - but the Crown site here in Galway City might not be the best example to follow. Far more commercial(office and hotel) going into that site than residential which is a pity. It is a step in the right direction though but would like to have seen far more residential. Current split is 1 to 6, should be aiming for 1 to 1.5
    https://crownsquare.ie/
    How it is going to affect the road network around it when finished is going to be interesting.
    There's a new estate going in across the road however, close to the Eircom towers.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    There's a new estate going in across the road however, close to the Eircom towers.

Yes Greenway Homes are building them, the houses are flying up. Gotta say it looks like a nice development.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

How many houses do the Crowes lease back to the Council?
    How much are they making each month from the State?

As for the bypass himself and his brother have been sitting on the council for the majority of the last 20 years and have done nothing about it.
    Almost half of that time FF where in power.

Not to mention they voted in the Busking bylaws. Yet you can be certain they will be to the front looking for photo ops when the Captial of Culture 2020 kicks off next month.

Another landlord/auctioneer/publican in Dail Eireann is just more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That's not the same as "there's no countryside left", not even close. You can make that point, or you can use tabloid, daily mail type statements. Utterly false and bizzare to state that there's no almost no countryside left in Ireland, a country of under 5 million people yet having 84,000km2+ of land.

Have you travelled through the Dublin commuter countryside regions lately?
    Wicklow, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Louth, Laois etc.
    There isn't a boreen left in any of them without heavy traffic from 1-off housing.

I visited what used to be a small country village in Westmeath recently called MountTemple. This tiny village is now blown out in all directions with 1-off bungalows built within the last 30 years. There is heavy traffic on formerly quite country roads in the evenings.

If you build the Galways by-pass it will have the same effect to the northern side of the cities. Many regions in Mayo, North Galway which are reasonably ok-ish in terms of 1-off houses will fall to the same fate.

I live in the city. My house isn't tiny. It's not built on top of my neighbour's house, which isn't tiny either.

This would be open for debate on both counts. If you live in an estate then more than likely I would disagree on both. If you are living in taylors hill or similar in a gated house then I may agree.
    I have a car which I sometimes use to go to the countryside where I came from. Does that bother you? Get used to it.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, my point was the country side is first and fore most a place for living, a community of people living in areas for generations and their families wanting to stay living in the areas. Some posters would like no housing in the country side at all and if that was the case what would it be a place for people to come out from cities for a day to look around and go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have you travelled through the Dublin commuter countryside regions lately?
    Wicklow, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Louth, Laois etc.
    There isn't a boreen left in any of them without heavy traffic from 1-off housing.

I visited what used to be a small country village in Westmeath recently called MountTemple. This tiny village is now blown out in all directions with 1-off bungalows built within the last 30 years. There is heavy traffic on formerly quite country roads in the evenings.

If you build the Galways by-pass it will have the same effect to the northern side of the cities. Many regions in Mayo, North Galway which are reasonably ok-ish in terms of 1-off houses will fall to the same fate.

Says a fella who hasn't turned off the motorway and ended up down a Boreen in Kildare that took 45 minutes to navigate out of. Lovely spot though, nice waterways and fields. Moate and the surrounding areas are nice and rural too, ditto Enfield.

• Advertisement

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, my point was the country side is first and fore most a place for living, a community of people living in areas for generations and their families wanting to stay living in the areas. Some posters would like no housing in the country side at all and if that was the case what would it be a place for people to come out from cities for a day to look around and go back.
    You forgot WORK. In previous generations people in the main worked locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ruhanna wrote: »
    What you said earlier was that there is "nowhere to put the public transport without the bypass".

Your current commuting pattern is that you travel by car off-peak, correct? Roughly from where to where? You don't have to be precise.
    I live in the centre and I work in Parkmore. I avoid leaving parkmore during peak traffic times.
    Are you also saying that if the proposed motorway is built, which will supposedly allow car commuters to drive straight across the city in around ten minutes (18 km at 100 km/h), that you will leave your car and switch to a "fast" bus service that will cross the city, but will first go through Eyre Square?

In other words, you support the building of a cross-town ring road because it will enable you to stop driving to work? Is that the gist of it?

Do you think many other commuters will change their commuting habit in the same way? Because it would be a first for the entire developed world.

It would be a truly remarkable road that would be regarded as successful because its existence enabled drivers not to actually use it.

I dont live in Knocknacarra. At the moment myself and my girlfriend (who also works in Parkmore) just about get by with one car. If we dont finish at the same time I have regularly had to go back out to Parkmore to pick her up when there is no sign of a bus (an additional two way car journey). If one of us moved job or we had a kid I dont think we would stick with one car because we cant rely on the bus for the second person to get to where they need to go. We would both absolutely use public transport more if it was reliable.

I also dont see how the current system can be made better. Where do the bus corridors go? If there was a solution put out there that meant guaranteed buses every 10/15 mins then I would support it. At the moment bus eireann says it is not practical to put on extra routes or extra buses because there is nowhere for them to go. Open the ringroad then prioritise buses through out the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cooperguy wrote: »

I also dont see how the current system can be made better. Where do the bus corridors go? If there was a solution put out there that meant guaranteed buses every 10/15 mins then I would support it. At the moment bus eireann says it is not practical to put on extra routes or extra buses because there is nowhere for them to go. Open the ringroad then prioritise buses through out the city

No money for buses, bus lanes, bus priority.... but 3/4 of a billion quid or a bypass, no bother.

donvito99 wrote: »
    No money for buses, bus lanes, bus priority.... but 3/4 of a billion quid or a bypass, no bother.

They've been working on building the thing for 30 odd years, you could hardly say no bother.

There is nowhere to put the extra buses, what lanes would you close for bus lanes? Does bus priority work if you cant get buses free flowing up to the traffic lights (genuine question?)

cooperguy wrote: »
    They've been working on building the thing for 30 odd years, you could hardly say no bother.

There is nowhere to put the extra buses, what lanes would you close for bus lanes? Does bus priority work if you cant get buses free flowing up to the traffic lights (genuine question?)

Bus Connects is a proposal for a number of cities that would see road widening, removal of private thru traffic and other measures to massively improve bus journey times. Nothing stopping that in Galway also in the same way that there is nothing stopping a bypass.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Bus Connects is a proposal for a number of cities that would see road widening, removal of private thru traffic and other measures to massively improve bus journey times. Nothing stopping that in Galway also in the same way that there is nothing stopping a bypass.

There isnt and bus connects is planned for Galway as well. Due by 2027, probably finished before the road at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I was just reading an article in the advertiser. the article in question is about a major 20-acre development at Sandy Road which will deliver up to 1,000 new homes. in the article Brendan McGrath, Chief Executive of Galway City Council is quoted in saying

"Sandy Road offers a major regeneration opportunity to build a mixed-tenure, urban quarter within 15 minutes’ walk of Eyre Square. This will enable very high quality modern sustainable, non-car based urban living".

it'll be interesting to see what modern non-car based urban living will look like.

topcat77 wrote: »
    it'll be interesting to see what modern non-car based urban living will look like.

Well if Brendan McGrath, Chief Executive of Galway City Council is true to his word, basically it should mean that this "Land Development Agency" Development does NOT have to install car parking as per the City Development Plan Guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well if Brendan McGrath, Chief Executive of Galway City Council is true to his word, basically it should mean that this "Land Development Agency" Development does NOT have to install car parking as per the City Development Plan Guidelines.

And in 40 years time when the residents start needing home visits from care workers, we can have lots of complaints about their illegal parking, because there aren't any spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I was just reading an article in the advertiser. the article in question is about a major 20-acre development at Sandy Road which will deliver up to 1,000 new homes. in the article Brendan McGrath, Chief Executive of Galway City Council is quoted in saying

"Sandy Road offers a major regeneration opportunity to build a mixed-tenure, urban quarter within 15 minutes’ walk of Eyre Square. This will enable very high quality modern sustainable, non-car based urban living".

Would be nice to see that area get a rejuvenation. Was only thinking the last day that it's quite nice but unusable due to all the crazy car traffic flying around.
    And in 40 years time when the residents start needing home visits from care workers, we can have lots of complaints about their illegal parking, because there aren't any spaces.
    Ah now lets not be pessimistic. In 40 years we might all be dead or eating the elderly in some kind of post-apocalyptic hellscape. Better start stockpiling beans now to be safe.

• Advertisement

Good luck selling selling 100 homes without parking, never mind 1000. Ridiculous idea totally unsuitable for most people needs.

You can be tiresome at times.
    There will be car parking, just not the ratios as per the current City Development Guidelines for such a Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Good luck selling selling 100 homes without parking, never mind 1000. Ridiculous idea totally unsuitable for most people needs.
    Why do you care? Won't effect you in the slightest.

Article that topcat77 quotes is online
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/112638/stakeholders-to-meet-to-clear-way-for-1000-home-development-at-sandy-road

Sure what would anyone want to be doing with all that space anyway?

https://twitter.com/BrendanM56/status/1220098910770860033

xckjoo wrote: »

I don't care I was offering my opinion that its impractical for the majority of people to have no parking (or not to have two parking spaces in most cases).

Not having at least one car is practical for a very very small proportion of people. So building a load of houses and not providing very important facilities such as parking is stupid as it renders the houses no good for large numbers of people who would otherwise be interested.
    Sure what would anyone want to be doing with all that space anyway?

https://twitter.com/BrendanM56/status/1220098910770860033

I'm not really sure what your point is?

I'm not really sure what your point is?
    My point is to highlight the vast amounts of space, public and private space, given over to storage of private property.

xckjoo wrote: »

It probably will though, in reality it is self defeating for Marcelo Delightful Neurology to be advocating this.
    Marcelo Delightful Neurology is bona fida Rurbanite.
    Lives Rural Galway, works in Urban Galway.
    If more City residents drive from a proposed new Development like this, gotta factor in that there is only an infinite amount of space on the roads.
    Marcelo Delightful Neurology will be affected by it on car commute from Rural Galway.
    In reality - the more City folk who walk, cycle or take the bus and leave the car behind - it does have a knock on benefit for those Rurban commuters like Marcelo Delightful Neurology who drive into and out of the City

Not having at least one car is practical for a very very small proportion of people

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1196097689307492356?s=19

Here's another city - Dublin - where the vast majority of residents in some cases get along just fine without owning a car.

Galway is special though for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can be tiresome at times.
    There will be car parking, just not the ratios as per the current City Development Guidelines for such a Development.

So it's not really a non-car development then.

Covenants stopping businesses in the area from employing people from "too far" away would be an interesting approach .... and probably needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement