Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Webbs wrote: »
    Maybe with a few tweaks the system that they operate in Ghent coul dbe adopted in Galway particularly if and when the ring road is constructed. In that city Ghent's traffic circulation plan bars motor vehicles from travelling between zones – instead, drivers must go out to the ring road and then back in.
    Motorists there have since found that, while their journeys are longer in distance, they take less time because there are fewer fellow travellers on the roads. Motor vehicles used to make up 55% of trips in Ghent – that number has now fallen to 27%.
    Ghent’s plan had imagined a cycling modal share of 35% by 2030, up from 22% in 2016. Instead, after an explosive 60% rise in cycle use, the target was reached last year, 13 years earlier than planned for.
    Another advantage of the intervention is that it is remarkably cheap to implement; Ghent’s plan cost just €4m (£3.4m) to implement. By comparison it costs an estimated £20m-£30m to build just one mile of motorway in the UK.

You can't really compare Gent with Galway very well. Gent has a much higher population than Galway, has much more density and actually has a tram network.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Actually can someone tell me how bad the traffic will be at the end of the M6 where you turn off to go up towards Cong? I'm going to Cong Friday afternoon from Dublin. Does the awful traffic get out as far as where I'd turn for Cong? I think it's the N6 at that stage.

Leave the M6 at J19 Oranmore/Claregalway. Take route to Claregalway. Take right turn for Tuam, then, just after Claregalway village turn left to cross over to the N84 Headford Rd. Straight through Headford and on to Cong while skirting round Galway City traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

machaseh wrote: »
    You can't really compare Gent with Galway very well. Gent has a much higher population than Galway, has much more density and actually has a tram network.

I agree and wasnt saying directly copy, its just ideas like this are possible and can be adopted to a larger or smaller extent. A ring road would facilitate this type of thinking but that involves some degree of creativity which Galway Councils are not exactly known for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

westgolf wrote: »
    Leave the M6 at J19 Oranmore/Claregalway. Take route to Claregalway. Take right turn for Tuam, then, just after Claregalway village turn left to cross over to the N84 Headford Rd. Straight through Headford and on to Cong while skirting round Galway City traffic.

On Friday, it might be better to exit at the Sligo Junction of the M6, and take the motorway to Tuam. Claregalway from Carnmore cross can be a mess.

From there it's 35-40 minutes to Cong, regardless of the route taken. I'd personally go via Belclare/Headford/Glencorrib, But via Belclare>Shrule or Kilconly> Neale is much of a muchness, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I think it's going to be horrible no matter what way I go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Webbs wrote: »
    Motorists there have since found that, while their journeys are longer in distance, they take less time because there are fewer fellow travellers on the roads. Motor vehicles used to make up 55% of trips in Ghent – that number has now fallen to 27%.
    Ghent’s plan had imagined a cycling modal share of 35% by 2030, up from 22% in 2016. Instead, after an explosive 60% rise in cycle use, the target was reached last year, 13 years earlier than planned for.
    Another advantage of the intervention is that it is remarkably cheap to implement; Ghent’s plan cost just €4m (£3.4m) to implement. By comparison it costs an estimated £20m-£30m to build just one mile of motorway in the UK.

Galway City Council are aiming for a 2.8% modal share of cycling by 2037.
    You are probably saying right now- that must be a typo? Its not.
    They are NOT aiming for twenty eight per cent, they are aiming for 2.8%. They predict that it will decrease from the current modal share which is between 5-6% (the model they are using is based on the City Ring Road been built by 2037)

Covered here in article form:
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/09/18/galway-we-have-tried-cars-what-will-we-try-next-more-cars/

Official Document:
    http://www.pleanala.ie/publicaccess/EIAR-NIS/302848/1.%20N6%20GCRR%20EIAR/N6%20EIAR%20Vol%202%20-%20Main%20Report.pdf
    see section
    6.8.3.3 Galway Transport Strategy Forecasts

westgolf wrote: »

I'd avoid claregalway too on a Friday afternoon/evening it can be a disaster.
    Yeah I think it's going to be horrible no matter what way I go

If you go the Tuam way you will have no traffic, the Claregalway route described above would be the fastest off peak but you could lose a lot of time in claregalway at busy times so I'd avoid it.

If it was me I would get off at the Roscommon exit on the M17, go though Corrofin and cross country to Headford and onto Cong from there but I know the way so for a person who isn't familiar it probably isn't the easiest route to follow as there is a good few turns to take but it is nearly as fast as the claregalway route and never has traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

topcat77 wrote: »
    There are a few certainties in the future.

1. The cost of running a car will greatly increase. (Insurance, fuel (fossil), tax and congestion fees).
    2. The traffic will increase.
    3. Communing times in cars will increase.
    4. There will be more bike, bus lanes.
    5. There will be better public transport. (can't be worse than it is currently)
    6. There will be a City centre zone with no through traffic.
    7. less space dedicated to the storage of personal property. (Car parking spaces)

People will not agree with the changes but you'll not be able to stop them. It's up to us how we will deal with it and adapt.

Agree with most of that, except

Public transport could be much, much worse than it currently is: In December I spent a month working in a building in Parkmore where I last worked just over 10 years ago. Back then:
    • A bus every 15 minutes, going to Eyre Square only.
    • The 5:15pm never came. The 5:30 was marginal. Despite finishing at 5, I never left the warm office until 5:35 because I'd likely just be standing in the cold.
    • No bus shelter.
    • No real-time app.
    • No on-line timetables. BE occasionally did a print run of a small (A6-ish) size booklet with the times, and people who were lucky enough to go to the bus-station at the right time got one.
    • Hardly anyone caught the bus: mostly it was the foreign-language call-centre people from SAP, the disabled guys working for Rehab, and the occasional odd-ball like me.

The changes in just 10 years are pretty major: there are so many buses that I didn't even look a the timetable. There's even one bus a day to Athenry, and various regional buses also go along the Parkmore road. Now - it's far, far from perfect. But worth remembering that many improvements have happened, and more can and will.

Also - I disagree with the City centre zone with no through traffic: the city-centre is not the source of any of Galway's real traffic problems. There's no point in punishing inner-city residents (who already have to put up with significant nois and anti-social behaviour inconveniences). Like many inner-city residents, I down own a car and I don't often use an individual vehicle.
    But when I do, I really, really need one due to injury, illness, unusual journey / stuff to transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

" the city center is not the source of any of galways real traffic problems "....
    SERIOUSLY ???
    The longest part of any bus drivers journey regarding time is getting out of the city center .
    Do you even drive in galway city ?
    Try getting out of eyre square and having to go either outbound on bohermore / outbound college road / outbound Lough atalia / down eglinton street .
    The issue here is no bus lanes on any of these roads .
    Bumper to bumper especially at rush hour and when weather is bad .
    There is no space to put bus lanes in on those roads .
    Only solution is to bite the bullet and make them one lane or ban private cars from city center .
    Next time your on a bus ask the driver .
    They all hate doing the routes that bring them into eyre square .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

" the city center is not the source of any of galways real traffic problems "....
    SERIOUSLY ???
    The longest part of any bus drivers journey regarding time is getting out of the city center .
    Try getting out of eyre square and having to go either outbound on bohermore / outbound college road / outbound Lough atalia / down eglinton street .
    Only solution is to bite the bullet and make them one lane or ban private cars from city center .

then they all must hate their job.... all city routes go through eyre square. ( the hosiptal P&R is not a city service in case someone is smart)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

SERIOUSLY ???

Nonsense.

I live in the city centre. Catch buses to/from there almost every day and drive a rental car there occasionally.

I'm sitting on a bus right now. It sailed through Eyre Square (where I got on) and along College Rd. We've just spent 10 mins getting through the Monivea / Ballyvane Rd junction.

The suggestion that the bus drivers hate the routes that bring them into Eyre Square is insane: ALL routes go through Eyre Square.

Nonsense.

I live in the city centre. Catch buses to/from there almost every day and drive a rental car there occasionally.

I'm sitting on a bus right now. It sailed through Eyre Square (where I got on) and along College Rd. We've just spent 10 mins getting through the Monivea / Ballyvane Rd junction.

The suggestion that the bus drivers hate the routes that bring them into Eyre Square is insane: ALL routes go through Eyre Square.

So you were never on a bus in galway city center that was in bumper to bumper traffic trying to get out if city ?????
    Also .. Bus drivers options with c.i.e
    Drive the country routes with no traffic or
    Drive city routes with loads of traffic and dealing with frustrated customers and the buggy brigade .
    Which route would you rather do ??
    Why is it the " old timers " in c.i.e get to drive the country routes while the new drivers get the city routes ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Drive city routes with loads of traffic and dealing with frustrated customers and the buggy brigade

The "buggy brigade"??

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The "buggy brigade"??

The females with their buggies and kids in tow .
    Ask a city bus driver about the " buggy brigade " .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Nonsense.

It's a nightmare coming into and out of Eyre Square at peak-times. Mainly Eglington Street and College Road/Bohermore (inbound).

The females with their buggies and kids in tow .
    Ask a city bus driver about the " buggy brigade " .
    What's the issue with them?

Nonsense.

So Mrs your on a bus at 9:21 am and you comment traffic is light ???
    Guess what Mrs ... Everyone is generally already at work .

xckjoo wrote: »
    What's the issue with them?

The length of time it takes for them to get on a bus and seated before driver can pull off safely .
    It's ok if your only dealing with an odd one on your route , but certain times every bus stop has the " buggy brigade ".

Saturday week .... Watch the bus stops .... Full of the " buggy brigade " getting into / out of city center because of the 2020 launch in the swamp .

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

The length of time it takes for them to get on a bus and seated before driver can pull off safely .
    It's ok if your only dealing with an odd one on your route , but certain times every bus stop has the " buggy brigade ".

Well at the end of the day the bus is there also for people with children. It's just part of life.

I also find buggies annoying and especially screaming children, but it's just part of life and we need to deal with it.

• Advertisement

machaseh wrote: »
    Well at the end of the day the bus is there also for people with children. It's just part of life.

I also find buggies annoying and especially screaming children, but it's just part of life and we need to deal with it.
    Ya I agree. Might as well complain about all the people expecting them to stop all the time. Think how much faster they'd get around their routes if they didn't have to stop at bus stops :pac:
    If the "buggy brigade" weren't taking the bus they'd be driving and adding to traffic. Not like walking of cycling is a viable alternative for them

The most vocal people on this thread that denounce any changes to private car access and improvements to public transport all seem to have the luxury to travel off-peak. Funny that.

It's a nightmare coming into and out of Eyre Square at peak-times. Mainly Eglington Street and College Road/Bohermore (inbound).

The reason why is within your complaint, its the peak demand and the infrastructure can't support it.

As regards other posts about access, there is no change that can be made that (a) allows unfettered private car access and (b) increases the accessibility and throughput of the city road network. Unless, of course, you want to bend the rules of physics to your will.

The only option is to reduce access for the least efficient mode (private car) and increase the appeal of more efficient forms (walking, cycling, bus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

If the "buggy brigade" weren't taking the bus they'd be driving and adding to traffic. Not like walking of cycling is a viable alternative for them

^ this

The bus is the best transport choice for someone with a buggy. They're not adding a car to the road, they're actually helping with the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The reason why is within your complaint, its the peak demand and the infrastructure can't support it.

As regards other posts about access, there is no change that can be made that (a) allows unfettered private car access and (b) increases the accessibility and throughput of the city road network. Unless, of course, you want to bend the rules of physics to your will.

The only option is to reduce access for the least efficient mode (private car) and increase the appeal of more efficient forms (walking, cycling, bus).

Nobody is looking for 'unfettered private car access'. Most people are looking for improvements in their commute time and options.

People who travel by car during peak times think it is the “most efficient” option for them for many reasons. Plenty of simple things can be to improve their experience.

Proper light sequencing, pedestrian walkovers, street parking management, use of bus lanes for multi passenger cars and proper timing of road works, are some examples, that don’t require the laws of physics to be bent.

Talking about aspirational plans for a magic 2037 is madness.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nobody is looking for 'unfettered private car access'. Most people are looking for improvements in their commute time and options.

People who travel by car during peak times think it is the “most efficient” option for them for many reasons. Plenty of simple things can be to improve their experience.

Proper light sequencing, pedestrian walkovers, street parking management, use of bus lanes for multi passenger cars and proper timing of road works, are some examples, that don’t require the laws of physics to be bent.

Talking about aspirational plans for a magic 2037 is madness.
    You realise not one of the examples you gave does anything but increase private car access?? :confused:

You realise not one of the examples you gave does anything but increase private car access?? :confused:

We are talking about accessibility and throughput right? Why do other cities and town bother with the things I mentioned I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It can be very frustrating indeed. I think they have to fold up buggies if there is more than one on board. However when I feel frustrated with all of this I just remember how tough it is for said women with buggies and shopping. It is not easy waiting for a bus in rain and the bus is quite full and you have to make your way on board with buggy. All the shopping hanging off it. It isn't easy for them.

Wombatman wrote: »
    We are talking about accessibility and throughput right? Why do other cities and town bother with the things I mentioned I wonder?

Throughput of cars is orders of magnitude less efficient than any of the alternatives so if that's your priority a complete ban on private car access is the obvious suggestion.
    What city has pedestrian walkovers? I've only ever seen them over motor way sized roads.

• Advertisement

Throughput of cars is orders of magnitude less efficient than any of the alternatives so if that's your priority a complete ban on private car access is the obvious suggestion.
    What city has pedestrian walkovers? I've only ever seen them over motor way sized roads.

A complete ban on cars is the best way to improve the throughput of cars? What are you on about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement