Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

xckjoo wrote: »
    So what? As others have said, the percentage of time behind a cyclist is insignificant compared to all the other delays and a constant 20kmph is still faster than sitting in stationary traffic. If there is no car traffic, they can instantly overtake. They aren't stuck in the lanes. It would be lovely to have segregated cycle lanes but that's not what we have. Footpaths are for people walking and children cycling. Ideally nobody would be cycling on them, but for now lets cut the kids some slack so they don't get killed. If you're a grown up, cycle on the road or the designated cycling space.
    Anyway, this is pointless so I'll leave you to argue with other people with more time to waste.

its a bus lane though, why should over 100 be put out when they've paid for a bus on a bus lane route but have to put up with cyclists slowing them down to 20 when they should be doing 80 on a road that should be clear for buses to progress

i don't know if you're familiar with the path I'm talking about because first thing in the morning during rush hour there is rarely anybody on the path at all, which I've pointed out in a previous post is another reason why it drives me cracked when I'm on a bus stuck behind a cyclist in the bus lane and there's nobody on the path then why can't the cyclists get off the road and let the bus by

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Query
    Has consideration been given to a cycle path along the motorway
    *Doughiska / Roscam junction at Martin Roundabout to Briarhill junction
    *Briarhill junction to Ballybrit junction

Reference
    Kerry cycling/walking path on the northern section of the bypass
    http://www.kerrycycling.com/castleisland-bypass/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

pure.conya wrote: »
    when the buses arent stuck behind cars they're on bus lanes stuck behind cyclists going 20kmph when they could be doing 80 and then 50

So they spend most of their time stuck behind cars then? Yeah, that's what I thought.

But hey, let's have a go at cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

i don't know if you're familiar with the path I'm talking about because first thing in the morning during rush hour there is rarely anybody on the path at all, which I've pointed out in a previous post is another reason why it drives me cracked when I'm on a bus stuck behind a cyclist in the bus lane and there's nobody on the path then why can't the cyclists get off the road and let the bus by

The big question for me though after the last few pages of this thread - why are you stuck in the bus with 100 others when you could be cycling up on said path armed with such knowledge of the law? Or did that super knowledgeable and experienced Garda confiscate your bike that time he hauled you into the Courts? :)

To be honest, if Galway City Council wanted to make cycling more attractive along this corridor - they really should start by improving the situation for people who cycle on Rosshill Road (Roscam) and Merlin Park(Doughiska) so one would could bypass this stretch of carraigeway i.e the Dublin Road.

• Advertisement

So they spend most of their time stuck behind cars then? Yeah, that's what I thought.

But hey, let's have a go at cyclists.

what are you on about?

what are you on about?

So am I right in saying that the buses spend most of their time stuck behind cars then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

its a bus lane though, why should over 100 be put out when they've paid for a bus on a bus lane route but have to put up with cyclists slowing them down to 20 when they should be doing 80 on a road that should be clear for buses to progress

It's annoying in the way that getting stuck behind a slow walking group of tourists in town is annoying but it's hardly a big issue or a significant contributor to Galway traffic.

The big question for me though after the last few pages of this thread - why are you stuck in the bus with 100 others when you could be cycling up on said path armed with such knowledge of the law? Or did that super knowledgeable and experienced Garda confiscate your bike that time he hauled you into the Courts? :)

what are you on about? my bike has never been confiscated. just because i own a bike I cant take the bus? i was never hauled into court, i refused to pay the faux fine the garda tried to hit me with to bury my case i had when knocked down on my way to work so i was in court of my own free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's annoying in the way that getting stuck behind a slow walking group of tourists in town is annoying but it's hardly a big issue or a significant contributor to Galway traffic.
    They dawdle and meander aimlessly, you'd need an airhorn to tell 'em to get a move on.
    Build More Footpaths Now

• Advertisement

what are you on about? my bike has never been confiscated. just because i own a bike I cant take the bus? i was never hauled into court, i refused to pay the faux fine the garda tried to hit me with to bury my case i had when knocked down on my way to work so i was in court of my own free will.

Am just digging and get the odd nugget as a result.

So were you actually knocked off the bike on the way to work when you were cycling on the footpath? By a motorist, pedestrian or because of the surface etc?

So am I right in saying that the buses spend most of their time stuck behind cars then?

no, you asked first

"What percentage of their journeys are the 409 and 412 stuck behind cyclists compared to the amount of time they are stuck behind cars?"

and when it was pointed out to you by ms o bumble that

"% of journeys is irrelevant. % of travel time is what matters.

The delay is significant and also effects the 401 on the Monivea Rd.

The real solution is fully grade separated cycleways."

you said you

"Fully agree - I meant to say 'what % of journey time is spent stuck behind cyclists compared to stuck behind cars'?"

i replied that

"when the buses arent stuck behind cars they're on bus lanes stuck behind cyclists going 20kmph when they could be doing 80 and then 50"

so, how in the actual **** did that lead you to state the following?

"So they spend most of their time stuck behind cars then? Yeah, that's what I thought.

But hey, let's have a go at cyclists."

I am not hiding the fact I'm having a go at cyclists, I'm one too, if I'm on the bus in the mornings cyclists slow the bus down to a crawl, you might feel like you're flying on your bike and making good progress compared to the cars stuck in traffic and going nowhere, actually i know you think you're flying out beside I'm on the path flying it myself most mornings,

but if I'm on the bus me and the other 100 or more passengers are most definitely not flying as the bus crawls at your pace of 20kmph when it could be doing 80 from roscam to glean na ri and then 50 all the way to duggans

if I'm not on the bus I'm cycling along the path, and thinking of my wife who's on the bus that's crawling behind one of you lot that insist on slowing the buses travelling on what limited bus lanes there are in this city,

all I'm saying is let's all stay off the bus lane, are you not able to cycle with respect to anybody else sharing the path? lets not be blocking the buses

no, you asked first

"What percentage of their journeys are the 409 and 412 stuck behind cyclists compared to the amount of time they are stuck behind cars?"

and when it was pointed out to you by ms o bumble that

"% of journeys is irrelevant. % of travel time is what matters.

The delay is significant and also effects the 401 on the Monivea Rd.

The real solution is fully grade separated cycleways."

you said you

"Fully agree - I meant to say 'what % of journey time is spent stuck behind cyclists compared to stuck behind cars'?"

i replied that

"when the buses arent stuck behind cars they're on bus lanes stuck behind cyclists going 20kmph when they could be doing 80 and then 50"

so, how in the actual **** did that lead you to state the following?

"So they spend most of their time stuck behind cars then? Yeah, that's what I thought.

But hey, let's have a go at cyclists."

I am not hiding the fact I'm having a go at cyclists, I'm one too, if I'm on the bus in the mornings cyclists slow the bus down to a crawl, you might feel like you're flying on your bike and making good progress compared to the cars stuck in traffic and going nowhere, actually i know you think you're flying out beside I'm on the path flying it myself most mornings,

but if I'm on the bus me and the other 100 or more passengers are most definitely not flying as the bus crawls at your pace of 20kmph when it could be doing 80 from roscam to glean na ri and then 50 all the way to duggans

if I'm not on the bus I'm cycling along the path, and thinking of my wife who's on the bus that's crawling behind one of you lot that insist on slowing the buses travelling on what limited bus lanes there are in this city,

all I'm saying is let's all stay off the bus lane, are you not able to cycle with respect to anybody else sharing the path? lets not be blocking the buses

You seem to be avoiding answering my question, which was;
    what % of journey time is spent stuck behind cyclists compared to time spent stuck behind cars?

What's your best guess?

its nothing like being stuck beyond slow walking groups of tourists in town, there are side streets known to us locals to successfully avoid that traffic and progress quickly from a to b, almost like a locals bus lane that works everytime when the way is not being blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Almost certain the cyclist would actually beat the bus for time considering that the bus needs to stop multiple time, so provision should be made for cyclists to overtake buses when they're stopped at bus stops.

i know all the rules of the road and the signs thanks

The best laugh I've had in a while

You seem to be avoiding answering my question, which was;
    what % of journey time is spent stuck behind cyclists compared to time spent stuck behind cars?

What's your best guess?

what does is matter? but I will engage you, half the roscam to eyre sq route would be bus lane and in that bus lane the bus is being heavily restricted from travelling at its max pace, because cyclists refuse to mount an empty footpath and allow the buses to get a lot of people into town as quickly as possible

what does is matter? but I will engage you, half the roscam to eyre sq route would be bus lane and in that bus lane the bus is being heavily restricted from travelling at its max pace, because cyclists refuse to mount an empty footpath and allow the buses to get a lot of people into town as quickly as possible

Again, you seem to be avoiding the question. So to make it easy, I'll split the questions up.

What % of journey time is the bus being held up by cyclists?

What % of journey time is the bus being held up by motorists?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Almost certain the cyclist would actually beat the bus for time considering that the bus needs to stop multiple time, so provision should be made for cyclists to overtake buses when they're stopped at bus stops.

cyclists beat the bus for time because the bus only has a bus lane half the way into town, the rest of the journey its stuck in traffic that cant get out of the way while the cyclists get to continue progressing uninterrupted all the way into town

Again, you seem to be avoiding the question. So to make it easy, I'll split the questions up.

What % of journey time is the bus being held up by cyclists?

What % of journey time is the bus being held up by motorists?

i answered you already, you just quoted the answer, or do you not want to see it?

Quote: pure.conya

• Advertisement

cyclists beat the bus for time because the bus only has a bus lane half the way into town, the rest of the journey its stuck in traffic that cant get out of the way while the cyclists get to continue progressing uninterrupted all the way into town

So you're saying the bus being stuck behind the cyclist in the bus lane really doesn't matter at all and the last 3 pages of posts by yourself have been a waste of time?

donvito99 wrote: »
    So you're saying the bus being stuck behind the cyclist in the bus lane really doesn't matter at all and the last 3 pages of posts by yourself have been a waste of time?

of course it matters! the little bus lane we have (50% of the journey) is being usurped by slow cyclists, when the bus should be doing 80 and then 50 it's stuck doing 20 or less all the way behind cyclists that could be on the patg instead of blocking over 100 people on the buses. how are people not seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

zell12 wrote: »
    They dawdle and meander aimlessly, you'd need an airhorn to tell 'em to get a move on.
    Build More Footpaths Now
    I do secretly feel like you should be allowed to just push them out of the way.... Same with the braindeads who stop in doorways. Just move one more foot in any direction ya numpty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

Where is the evidence they don’t? What about all those employed in the motor industry and the income tax they pay, the vat they pay etc? The vrt and vat on buying cars and car parts? Motor tax, vat and excise on fuel, vat on tolls (for roads long paid off, another disgrace tolls are). The list goes on and on.

An entire shoal of red herrings. Evidence to back your claim or else it's proof that you're talking sh**e (not for the first time either).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Wouldn't call GoogleTraffic reliable.
    Watch all the roads outside schools turn red at pick-up times, it's not moving traffic, just cars that were moving, now parked, people sitting using phones
    “Isn’t it crazy [how] much space is used by a car in a city compared to the usage?” he said. “The hack shows us what is possible with this technology and who we rely on.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9393w7/this-man-created-traffic-jams-on-google-maps-using-a-red-wagon-full-of-phones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

the little bus

You do know that it's not just for buses, it's for "large public vehicles" and "pedal cycles".

The cyclists will progress ahead as the bus makes multiple stops. Maybe you could run some trials and take a few timings on the bus and report back the overall time the us is actually held up by said cyclists?

cooperguy wrote: »
    I mean sure, in a purely theoretical sense, you can fill the lanes with more bus seats than car seats. But that ignores all practicality. You need to have enough bus seats going to the right places in the city, suburbs and countryside at the right times.

What is your proposed network that would take half the cars off the roads in the short term? Commuting is on a knife edge, a crash in the city or a novena, grinds the city to a halt.

Im happy to hear the numbers for buses, bus routes and frequencies you feel would be practical to be brought in to make it possible to support removing 50% of the car capacity on one of the main roads that crosses the city.

Is that the grating sound of goalposts being moved?

This is what you said earlier in relation to converting a traffic lane each way on the Q Bridge to a bus lane:
    cooperguy wrote: »
    The additional capacity added to public transport would not be able to account for the reduction in capacity for private transport.

There is nowhere to put a bus lane. A bus lane would reduce capacity on that road a lot more than the bus would add. You can't just have a lane in the bridge either, it would need to continue beyond that. Again removing more capacity from the road than the bus route would add

Please provide some valid evidence for your specific claims, such as that the capacity of public transport running on a bus lane across the Q Bridge would be less than the capacity of the same lane with private cars on it.

Don't forget, while you're gathering the evidence, that the purpose of transport in this context is to move people, not vehicles.

You also have to remember that 50% of the cities workforce commute into the city from outside it and for the vast majority of those driving will be the only practical way of getting to work.

Have you stopped pretending that a bypass is needed because of the many many thousands of motorists who don't want to be in the city at all at all?

Ruhanna wrote: »
    Have you stopped pretending that a bypass is needed because of the many many thousands of motorists who don't want to be in the city at all at all?

All industrial estates outside the city count as the city in this case all of which would benefit massively from the bypass.

• Advertisement

All industrial estates outside the city count as the city in this case all of which would benefit massively from the bypass.

What you said was that "50% of the city's workforce commute into the city from outside it."

Obviously the other 50% of the city's workforce is commuting through the city to work.

Neither half is bypassing the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement