Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

donvito99 wrote: »
    Would Galway have any traffic issues if the only vehicles on the roads were those which you list above?

Really? No pedestrians, joggers, bikes, motorbikes, scooters, metros allowed? The evil car has gotten hold of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

The issue with Galway is historic....Its a long norrow coastal city... A ring road will help but not solve the problem.. Planning has to incorporate highrise sustainable urban development within walk of facilities/work. Galway is suitable for urban rail. One line would cover the city from Oranmore to Salthill or beyond.. Currently cronic lack of service from oranmore re trains. No proper cycling infrastructure across the city.. People across the world in cities get out of cars when a better alternative is available and reliable.. Cost is a issue to a point... time is a bigger one. My point is it's not one or the other re car bike bus walk rail or development.. It long term thinking and planning that is required...Solving one traffic jam just moves it on to the next choke point and is pointless..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

SAXA wrote: »
    The issue with Galway is historic....Its a long norrow coastal city... A ring road will help but not solve the problem.. Planning has to incorporate highrise sustainable urban development within walk of facilities/work. Galway is suitable for urban rail. One line would cover the city from Oranmore to Salthill or beyond.. Currently cronic lack of service from oranmore re trains. No proper cycling infrastructure across the city.. People across the world in cities get out of cars when a better alternative is available and reliable.. Cost is a issue to a point... time is a bigger one. My point is it's not one or the other re car bike bus walk rail or development.. It long term thinking and planning that is required...Solving one traffic jam just moves it on to the next choke point and is pointless..

Unheard of in Ireland especially as governments alternate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ruhanna wrote: »
    You have repeatedly referred to bus lanes as reducing capacity, eg that converting one of two lanes would be halving the capacity.

Now that you've accepted the error in that claim, please explain what you mean by "practical". Are you talking about the logistics of public transport services? Or something else?

A commuter bus service would presumably have to go over the Q Bridge. It's the most obvious direct route. Galway City Council has already moved in that direction. They promised to do it a dozen years ago, when traffic volume was lower. No progress, as usual. The hold-up is political, maybe, or perhaps just the usual incompetence.

https://connachttribune.ie/move-provide-bus-route-across-quincentenary-bridge-412/

I think its best I answer this with quotes from my previous posts already answering these questions. To start with I have clarified repeatedly that when I talk about reduced capacity I am talking about the ability of the bus network to carry the cars capacity removed. There will be more bus seats, but can they go to the outer city all the places beyond that the people in cars want to go. There is no error in the claim.

I think the quotes below also talk to what I mean by practical, though I could quote a couple more as well. I am talking about the logistics and feasibility of putting in enough buses that go to enough places to feasibly take all the cars off the road that is required.

Although, I believe these points to be self-evident simply by observing the traffic in Galway and its reactions to even the most minor disruption, I would point you to the Galway Transport Strategy which says the exact same thing. In order to provide sustainable transport options in the city an outer route is required to support outer city movements. If you disagree with this I would ask you to provide your evidence.
    cooperguy wrote: »
    I mean sure, in a purely theoretical sense, you can fill the lanes with more bus seats than car seats. But that ignores all practicality. You need to have enough bus seats going to the right places in the city, suburbs and countryside at the right times.
    I take it you chose to ignore my response then. Not surprising really. How are you getting on constructing a realistic case that removing 50% capacity will not topple a city on a traffic knife edge into chaos? Its not about theoretical number of bus seats vs car seats its about the realistic chance of enough bus seats running to the right places to take the amount of cars off the road thats required if you remove 50% capacity.

To address your last point:
    A commuter bus service would presumably have to go over the Q Bridge. It's the most obvious direct route. Galway City Council has already moved in that direction. They promised to do it a dozen years ago, when traffic volume was lower. No progress, as usual. The hold-up is political, maybe, or perhaps just the usual incompetence.

https://connachttribune.ie/move-provide-bus-route-across-quincentenary-bridge-412/

As per the Galway transport strategy: "Providing for cross-city movement by dedicated orbital services is not considered to be the best option as there is insufficient variety of trip purposes to support high-frequency services through-out the day. Furthermore, a lesser-frequency service, with limited hours of operation would not provide for good flexibility from the passengers perspective and would have an insignificant impact on overall modal splits in terms of transfer from private car usage to public transport"

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

xckjoo wrote: »
    Well the ring road isn't supposed to be going through the city so it wouldn't satisfy your makey-upy criteria either sweetie pie.
    You don't seem to understand what infrastructure is. Or what "a little over 20 years ago" means apparently.

I asked what major road infastructure was built in the last 20 years.
    In this period Galways population has exploded.

You suggested the pedestrinisation of shop street? Wtf!

The quin bridge was the last major piece of infastructure the city built. Some here still believe that it is in itself a part of aring road.

This is quite simple. No new roads have been built to aleiviate the traffic issue. This argument that building more roads is fine in other cities but weve nit built any in the city.
    The outer bypass will help solve alot of the traffic issues. It will also place galway in a strong position to build a light rail system.

I commute all year round by motorcycle in all weather across town. Take it from me there are alot of wet horrible days. Cycling to work is just viable for everyone. There is no room for more bus lanes.

I filter thru the jams. In the past year i noticed a marked increase in peoples frustration and inpatience. So much so that my commute is now longer because ive to be extra vigilant because people have such short fuses.

The bypass is needed. Its unfortunate that poor planning has lead to this but there is no alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

Wombatman wrote: »
    Yeah. We should tell this to every truck driver, delivery man, bus driver, and taxi driver stuck in Galway City's chronic traffic.

"It's all in your mind dude. Just change your ideology and the traffic will disappear".

What proportion of the overall traffic mix is composed of "truck drivers, delivery drivers, bus drivers and taxi drivers" would you say?

What proportion of the supposedly chronic traffic the above are allegedly stuck in is composed of (a) drivers travelling alone and (b) drivers travelling short distances?

What happens to traffic volumes when schools are closed? Hint below.
    During the summer (except raceweek) when schools are off for a few months and traffic is much quieter.

Wombatman wrote: »
    If a magic cross city metro appeared overnight do you think traffic as it stands would improve?

Definitely.

And it raises an interesting question, as does the well-known impact of school travel: what level of car use would have to be reached in order to eliminate congestion?

We probably don't know the answer to that one, because it's an issue that's avoided (for political reasons) by government and state agencies. In other words, none of them is actually trying to achieve a reduction in car ownership or car use, so all their analysis goes into working out how much road construction they have to do to satisfy demand for cars and driving (they'll never get there, by the way, because the demand is endless).

If every city resident walked, cycled or took the bus tomorrow, there would be zero traffic congestion in the city. If everyone who lived a few kilometres from work walked, cycled or took the bus to work (or school) there would be no traffic congestion worth talking about. A wild guess: if 40% of Galway commuters walked, cycled or took the bus instead of driving, the supposed "emergency" need for a ring road would evaporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What proportion of the supposedly chronic traffic the above are allegedly stuck in is composed of (a) drivers travelling alone and (b) drivers travelling short distances?

What happens to traffic volumes when schools are closed? Hint below.

What proportion of the drivers are alone for their entire journey, though. I have a lot of colleagues who pick up kids and/ or dogs along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

flynnlives wrote: »
    I asked what major road infastructure was built in the last 20 years.
    In this period Galways population has exploded.

You suggested the pedestrinisation of shop street? Wtf!

The quin bridge was the last major piece of infastructure the city built. Some here still believe that it is in itself a part of aring road.

This is quite simple. No new roads have been built to aleiviate the traffic issue. This argument that building more roads is fine in other cities but weve nit built any in the city.
    The outer bypass will help solve alot of the traffic issues. It will also place galway in a strong position to build a light rail system.

I commute all year round by motorcycle in all weather across town. Take it from me there are alot of wet horrible days. Cycling to work is just viable for everyone. There is no room for more bus lanes.

I filter thru the jams. In the past year i noticed a marked increase in peoples frustration and inpatience. So much so that my commute is now longer because ive to be extra vigilant because people have such short fuses.

The bypass is needed. Its unfortunate that poor planning has lead to this but there is no alternative.

I gave you several specific examples and a whole host of generic ones. You just dismissed them because they didn't suit your theory, so I pointed out the only significant effort the city has made away from cars having total priority in this city was just 2 years outside your 20year time frame. That didn't suit you either though so you fain incredulity at the very idea of it being relevant, despite it satisfying your requirements better than the proposed ring road does.
    In that last 20 years, we've had near constant constructions and renovation of roads where private car usage has been given priority #1. There's been only a handful of token efforts to include some disjointed bus+cycle lanes. Despite this, they have a measurable impact on journey time for anyone that takes the bus or cycles. In the mean time traffic jams have just gotten worse and worse.
    You're right that poor planning has lead us here, but lets try and break that cycle and actually stop repeating the same mistakes. The Quincentenary bridge was built as a ring road to fix Galway traffic and look how that worked out? Lets try something that might actually improve things for everyone and move away from wasting our lives staring at tail lights.

This has been explained multiple times but you are just trolling really by point blank refusing to listen.

How about you answer this. If you convert the QB to one lane and a bus lane and virtually no one who currently drives takes the bus (the almost guaranteed outcome) but now all traffic has to cross the bridge on one lane how will the volume of traffic crossing the bridge change?

Would the number of people crossing the bridge every 15 mins at peak times increase (increase capacity) or decrease (reduce capacity)???

How about this: if half the people who currently drive distances that could be walked or cycled switched mode, what would happen to junction capacity?

Discodog wrote: »
    Especially the ones who are passing through & don't have any alternative. It's as if nothing exists West of Galway.

This keeps coming back like a bad penny.

What percentage of all traffic is just "passing through"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This has been explained multiple times but you are just trolling really by point blank refusing to listen.

How about you answer this. If you convert the QB to one lane and a bus lane and virtually no one who currently drives takes the bus (the almost guaranteed outcome) but now all traffic has to cross the bridge on one lane how will the volume of traffic crossing the bridge change?

Would the number of people crossing the bridge every 15 mins at peak times increase (increase capacity) or decrease (reduce capacity)???

I've heard that said so many times about QBC's in Dublin, about the Luas, even the Port tunnel. All buses and Luas trams packed with commuters now.

I gave you several specific examples and a whole host of generic ones. You just dismissed them because they didn't suit your theory, so I pointed out the only significant effort the city has made away from cars having total priority in this city was just 2 years outside your 20year time frame. That didn't suit you either though so you fain incredulity at the very idea of it being relevant, despite it satisfying your requirements better than the proposed ring road does.
    In that last 20 years, we've had near constant constructions and renovation of roads where private car usage has been given priority #1. There's been only a handful of token efforts to include some disjointed bus+cycle lanes. Despite this, they have a measurable impact on journey time for anyone that takes the bus or cycles. In the mean time traffic jams have just gotten worse and worse.
    You're right that poor planning has lead us here, but lets try and break that cycle and actually stop repeating the same mistakes. The Quincentenary bridge was built as a ring road to fix Galway traffic and look how that worked out? Lets try something that might actually improve things for everyone and move away from wasting our lives staring at tail lights.

Afaik The quinn bridge was the only bridge built across the corrib in the 20th century.
    This idea we are repeating mistakes by building more roads simply doesnt hold water for Galway city.

Poor planning has gotten us here. The bypass will give us the opportunity to address some of that fall out.
    I dont see how we cant do bypass and the move onto light rail for the city within the bypass area. A graduated congestion charge within the bypass could be implemented too. Proper park and ride could be integrated on the bypass spurs.

There is simply no room or space for bus lanes and a light rail within the existing infastructure. The cost would be astronomical.

Galway is due to double in population in the next 30 years. The bypass is our opportunity to be prudent and build with that in mind.

How about this: if half the people who currently drive distances that could be walked or cycled switched mode, what would happen to junction capacity?

I would say very little as the vast majority of people going though a big junction like this are not traveling walkable or cycleable distances or routes. On top of the cycling or walking does not suit most people for a host of reasons so it’s not a practical suggestion.

The only show in town is build the ring road, the sooner they start the better and finally an improvement in city traffic will be achieved. With large amounts of traffic no longer needing to go though the city this will make using busses etc much more appealing and practical for those who it is suitable for as busses won’t be held up by cars that don’t need to be in the city.

Why would nobody take the bus if it was going to be faster for them? Are we different to people in every city in the world with a functioning public transport system? People aren't stupid. They aren't going to spend twice as long commuting just so they can sit in traffic in their car.

And I don't think capacity is the word you want here. Capacity is related to the upper limits of what can be handled. So it would in fact still increase as buses are more efficient at moving people from A-B than cars as they can carry more people per metre squared.

That's the reality of public transport (and of course walking and cycling): it's way more efficient than cars, especially given that the vast majority of car commuters are travelling alone.

But of course that's not the real argument, is it? All the verbal contortions in the world can't hide the fact that the objections to public transport etc as the alternative to road building and car dependence are not about limits to engineering or lane capacity calculations. All of that is established fact.

The objections boil down to a basic concept: I like my car and the (supposed) freedom it brings; you will prise the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Back in 2017, the bus lane on Dublin's North Quays carried 7,000 people per hour versus 500 private cars (with an average occupancy of 1.2 in 2016). So the bus lane carries almost 12 times as many people as the general traffic lane per hour.

https://www.thejournal.ie/traffic-changes-dublin-city-3545157-Aug2017/

Excellent example, thanks.

That's the kind of real-life data that shows up the ridiculous inefficiency of private car transport in terms of making the best use of existing infrastructure. The 500 versus 7000 figure also reveals that the tail is wagging the dog: 500 space-wasters dictating transport policy for every 7000 commuters whose mode of travel is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/02/23/majority-of-businesses-objecting-to-liffey-cycle-route-own-car-parks/

This keeps coming back like a bad penny.

What percentage of all traffic is just "passing through"?

The majority of people who travel along the QB are just passing through, the very city centre is not really a traffic issue at all it’s the people passing through too close o the centre on roads such as the QB that cause the issues.

I am talking about the ability of the bus network to carry the cars capacity removed. There will be more bus seats, but can they go to the outer city all the places beyond that the people in cars want to go.

That's a red herring, or some other fishy metaphor.

The purpose of public transport is not to go to "all the places beyond that the people in cars want to go".

There are residential centres and employment centres in Galway. Commuter traffic generated by these centres, and by the masses of free or cheap parking around the city, is what is clogging the roads. Shifting a large proportion of these commuters out of single occupant cars and onto public transport (and that's before we start on walking and cycling) will make a significant dent in traffic congestion.

Drivers trying to cling onto private privileges, such as trying to go to "all the places beyond that the people in cars want to go" won't wash.

We have to get away from the notion that driving wherever we want whenever we want and as fast as we please is some sort of right purchased along with a private car and a Motor Tax disc.

Eliminating car dependence has to be a combination of carrot and stick. One form of carrot is a city where most of what we need is 15 minutes away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/01/21/phasing-out-cars-key-to-paris-mayors-plans-for-15-minute-city/

That's a far better approach than building more roads so that car owners can whizz around the place at will.

What proportion of the drivers are alone for their entire journey, though. I have a lot of colleagues who pick up kids and/ or dogs along the way.

Dog transport?

That's one possible factor that should influence transport policy? Seriously?

Drivers trying to cling onto private privileges, such as trying to go to "all the places beyond that the people in cars want to go" won't wash.

We have to get away from the notion that driving wherever we want whenever we want and as fast as we please is some sort of right purchased along with a private car and a Motor Tax disc.

No we don’t need to get away from the “notion” of driving where we want. This is not what the vast majority of people want to do and I’m afraid to tell you that what most people want is what should and will be the way things are done.

You can get away from what ever you want but most people have zero interest in your impractical, inflexible and downright impossible for many ideas of how you want to dictate people get around.

That's a far better approach than building more roads so that car owners can whizz around the place at will.

And to free up enough space required to bring in the dedicated bus lanes etc. As the Galway Transport Plan demands...

It's not a red herring either, unless you take more cars off the road than the amount of car carrying capacity you remove then the city grinds to a halt.

Where is your data that says you would be able to remove lanes in Galway and not create traffic backlogs?

Afaik The quinn bridge was the only bridge built across the corrib in the 20th century.
    This idea we are repeating mistakes by building more roads simply doesnt hold water for Galway city.

Poor planning has gotten us here. The bypass will give us the opportunity to address some of that fall out.
    I dont see how we cant do bypass and the move onto light rail for the city within the bypass area. A graduated congestion charge within the bypass could be implemented too. Proper park and ride could be integrated on the bypass spurs.

There is simply no room or space for bus lanes and a light rail within the existing infastructure. The cost would be astronomical.

Galway is due to double in population in the next 30 years. The bypass is our opportunity to be prudent and build with that in mind.

I get where you're coming from but part of the reason we haven't built more bridges is that there just isn't the justification for it. Most of the commuter traffic is either coming from the county to the city (east to east) or coming from (relatively) high density housing areas to high density work areas (West to east). The former don't need a ring road and the latter need to move to more efficient forms of transport like public transport. If we don't, demand will expand to meet the new road capacity in very short order and we'll be back to square one. This has been seen time and time again around the world and countless cities are scrambling to address this by investing heavily in trying to shift people to public transport.
    Instead of mindlessly adding roads we need to maximise what we have by moving to a public transport based approach. It's cheaper to implement and will actually save people money by removing the need for them to own multiple cars per household. We can always add roads in the future, but the efficiency improvements in freeing the majority of people from being reliant on private car usage means that would be a very long way off.

• Advertisement

I get where you're coming from but part of the reason we haven't built more bridges is that there just isn't the justification for it. Most of the commuter traffic is either coming from the county to the city (east to east) or coming from (relatively) high density housing areas to high density work areas (West to east). The former don't need a ring road and the latter need to move to more efficient forms of transport like public transport. If we don't, demand will expand to meet the new road capacity in very short order and we'll be back to square one. This has been seen time and time again around the world and countless cities are scrambling to address this by investing heavily in trying to shift people to public transport.
    Instead of mindlessly adding roads we need to maximise what we have by moving to a public transport based approach. It's cheaper to implement and will actually save people money by removing the need for them to own multiple cars per household. We can always add roads in the future, but the efficiency improvements in freeing the majority of people from being reliant on private car usage means that would be a very long way off.

The Galway Transport Strategy requires the addition of the road/bridge so that the central city roads can be moved more towards sustainable public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think the plan is to increase bus lanes to make it more difficult for drivers to drive in, out and around the city. There will be increased traffic jams, but less cars as the space will be given up to pedestrians, public transport users and cyclists.

In my own city (Dublin) there's routes now that I won't drive. It's quicker to get public transport. You'd be sitting in your car as buses, cyclists and the Luas drive by. Even pedestrians would be quicker. In Galway there's a touch of "build it and they will come" and it will happen over time hopefully.

The problem is the people living outside Galway in impossible to service public transport areas. The only realistic and future answer is park and ride for those that choose or are forced to live in dispersed housing or one off housing.

There's lots of evidence in Galway (and Dublin) where people can drive in and out of the cities quicker than they can get public transport. These routes will be targeted, theoretically, there'll be lots of space to cycle, walk or use public transport, but a tiny space allowed for cars or even a congestion charge.

Again, massive, massive improvements on public transport will be needed.

Your tradesman in the vans with tools (myself included) will be forced to drive in before or after peak rush hour times.

But weve not built any new roads.
    The only major road infastructure is the motorway that only comes to the outskirts.
    We dont currently even have a ring road.
    Your reasoning is sound for other large cities but doesnt apply to Galway since we dont have any recent major roads built and neither do we have a ring road.

I believe the bypass will be able to provide a pathway to what you want as well as provide the planning and structure a rapidly growing city needs. It will anchor our ability to create outer conerbations of living. There is no way to do that now because there is no room within the current infastructure.

The current idea that buses and a gluas will solve our issues are simply not viable. The current bus service is totally unreliable because it simply has no way to expand. There is no room for more bus lanes. There isnt even a express bus from west to east.

As i see it the best solution is

-A bypass/outer ring road
    -Park and ride near each onramp
    -A congestion charge for the inner city
    -Proper planning with public transport outside the ring road
    Gluas/trams from oranmore to salthill

But weve not built any new roads.
    The only major road infastructure is the motorway that only comes to the outskirts.
    We dont currently even have a ring road.
    Your reasoning is sound for other large cities but doesnt apply to Galway since we dont have any recent major roads built and neither do we have a ring road.

I believe the bypass will be able to provide a pathway to what you want as well as provide the planning and structure a rapidly growing city needs. It will anchor our ability to create outer conerbations of living. There is no way to do that now because there is no room within the current infastructure.

The current idea that buses and a gluas will solve our issues are simply not viable. The current bus service is totally unreliable because it simply has no way to expand. There is no room for more bus lanes. There isnt even a express bus from west to east.

As i see it the best solution is

-A bypass/outer ring road
    -Park and ride near each onramp
    -A congestion charge for the inner city
    -Proper planning with public transport outside the ring road
    Gluas/trams from oranmore to salthill

We have non stop built roads in the last 20 years. How do you not see this? What exactly constitutes a "new road" to you? Do you not remember the old Oranmore-Galway Road? All around Parkmore / Ballybrit? Doughiska? Every approach road to the quincentery? N17? Moycullen Road? Western Distributor? Most of Knocknacarra? The Headford Road is being done as we speak. All within the last 20 years. All only made things worse. Literally the only road we haven't built is a new one across the river and the result is not going to be any different to all those others. And in 10 years time we'll just have people moaning about traffic being so bad because they haven't built any new roads

We have non stop built roads in the last 20 years. How do you not see this? What exactly constitutes a "new road" to you? Do you not remember the old Oranmore-Galway Road? All around Parkmore / Ballybrit? Doughiska? Every approach road to the quincentery? N17? Moycullen Road? Western Distributor? Most of Knocknacarra? The Headford Road is being done as we speak. All within the last 20 years. All only made things worse. Literally the only road we haven't built is a new one across the river and the result is not going to be any different to all those others. And in 10 years time we'll just have people moaning about traffic being so bad because they haven't built any new roads

I woundn’t call modifying junctions to make them worse by adding lights rather than roundabouts or the mess they have made along by dunnes Terryland with about 50 sets of lights and allowing cars cross in too many places “building roads”. Improvements here and there are similar. The poster means brand new roads that were fields etc, like a new motorway is but on or very very close to the city creating completely new routes for traffic. There is no work on the headford road at all, it badly needs large investment to widen it the whole way to corrandulla giving a hard shoulder on either side and preventing even the smallest accident holding up the entire north of the county getting to work.

Talking about traffic from the east of the county not needing the new road is totally untrue also, it very much needs it to create a dedicated entrance to parkmore taking all the parkmore traffic away from the city. There are lots of people who need to travel across the city too who will benefit and all the traffic from knocknacarra etc will have a fast and efficient route to work in parkmore. Traffic coming into the city from the headford road should also be able to join the ring road to get to parkmore or go to the west of the city avoiding going into Terryland etc completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dog transport?

That's one possible factor that should influence transport policy? Seriously?

I'm no pet lover, especially not dogs!

But the whole doggie day-care phenomena is a thing, which is influencing travel patterns. I seriously work with people who do two stops on the way to work, one at the child minders and one at the dog-minders.

We may think that they shouldn't be driving ('cos ya know, I'm actually on the public transport side) - but the reality is that they do drive, and public transport isn't going to work for them. And while they may be a single occupancy vehicle at the industrial estate end of the trip, that's not so for the whole journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

You do know that it's not just for buses, it's for "large public vehicles" and "pedal cycles".

The cyclists will progress ahead as the bus makes multiple stops. Maybe you could run some trials and take a few timings on the bus and report back the overall time the us is actually held up by said cyclists?

I've been on the bus loads when it's had to crawl all the way from roscam to glean na ri, then another cyclist comes along slowing progress to gmit, at that stage the overall majority of the bus lane has been a totally waste of time, a bus full over of 100 people were forced unnecessarily to travel along a bus route designed for 80kmph and then 50kmph but had to do it crawling along at 20kmph due to cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Here are some more facts:
    Public transport is a joke.
    Cycling is not for everyone.
    6 months of the year the weather is crazy

its actually a very rare day that the weather is too bad to cycle

I woundn’t call modifying junctions to make them worse by adding lights rather than roundabouts or the mess they have made along by dunnes Terryland with about 50 sets of lights and allowing cars cross in too many places “building roads”. Improvements here and there are similar. The poster means brand new roads that were fields etc, like a new motorway is but on or very very close to the city creating completely new routes for traffic. There is no work on the headford road at all, it badly needs large investment to widen it the whole way to corrandulla giving a hard shoulder on either side and preventing even the smallest accident holding up the entire north of the county getting to work.

Talking about traffic from the east of the county not needing the new road is totally untrue also, it very much needs it to create a dedicated entrance to parkmore taking all the parkmore traffic away from the city. There are lots of people who need to travel across the city too who will benefit and all the traffic from knocknacarra etc will have a fast and efficient route to work in parkmore. Traffic coming into the city from the headford road should also be able to join the ring road to get to parkmore or go to the west of the city avoiding going into Terryland etc completely.

The poster wanted examples of new roads in the city. That just doesn't happen. We'd have to level blocks of buildings. The proposed ring road doesn't even satisfy his requirements. Most roads are just upgrades of old roads that are upgrades of dirt paths. Motorways are the only things that are generally completely new and even then they sometimes include portions of existing roads.
    Actually here's a question for you nox. Would you be OK with them building a road through your land if it's for the "greater good"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is just not true, there is plenty room all over the City for this type of infrastructure. Land use has been very inefficient since the 70's in Galway City. There has been zero political and also Civil service will to deliver this type of infrastructure.

Focus would be on bus infrastructure for next 20 years, then could look at light rail.
    Just take the West side of the City as an example
    Western Distributor Road - Bus Lane and Cycle similar to the SQR/BOD (a road scheme that was done in the last 10 years by the way); this would only cost about 15million. Back in 2010 City Council costed it at 10 million.
    Thomas Hynes Road(N59) - room for Bus Lanes/Cycle Lanes same as SQR/BOD.
    Siobhan McKenna - easily put in Cycle Paths on this Road.
    Circular Road (Corrach Bui/Claremont section) - could easily put in Bus Lane here.

The cost of all this - far less the cost of the proposed Ring Road CPOs for the 50 houses that are to be demolished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement