Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

pure.conya wrote: »
    I've been on the bus loads when it's had to crawl all the way from roscam to glean na ri, then another cyclist comes along slowing progress to gmit, at that stage the overall majority of the bus lane has been a totally waste of time, a bus full over of 100 people were forced unnecessarily to travel along a bus route designed for 80kmph and then 50kmph but had to do it crawling along at 20kmph due to cyclist

Incorrect - its because it was not designed correctly. Either widen the bus lane - or install a bike path along length of this bus lane.

its actually a very rare day that the weather is too bad to cycle

I agree with you on this (been cycling to work in Galway City for the last 15 years.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been on the bus loads when it's had to crawl all the way from roscam to glean na ri, then another cyclist comes along slowing progress to gmit, at that stage the overall majority of the bus lane has been a totally waste of time, a bus full over of 100 people were forced unnecessarily to travel along a bus route designed for 80kmph and then 50kmph but had to do it crawling along at 20kmph due to cyclist

I've had similar experiences. Agree that it's fundamentally a design flaw that there are no cycle lanes - but cyclists are simply generating hate for themselves by doing this .

I've had similar experiences. Agree that it's fundamentally a design flaw that there are no cycle lanes - but cyclists are simply generating hate for themselves by doing this .

What should they do then Mrs OBumble? You would be leaping up and down as well if they were cycling on the footpath. They cannot win. Best to stay legal folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

xckjoo wrote: »
    We have non stop built roads in the last 20 years. How do you not see this? What exactly constitutes a "new road" to you? Do you not remember the old Oranmore-Galway Road? All around Parkmore / Ballybrit? Doughiska? Every approach road to the quincentery? N17? Moycullen Road? Western Distributor? Most of Knocknacarra? The Headford Road is being done as we speak. All within the last 20 years. All only made things worse. Literally the only road we haven't built is a new one across the river and the result is not going to be any different to all those others. And in 10 years time we'll just have people moaning about traffic being so bad because they haven't built any new roads

i dont believe the bypass will cure anything, the costs of the gluas or the bypass are both 600 M, one will defiently take cars off the road, the other will add cars tot he road,

If the gluas is built, open up the land to build houses along it...

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Actually here's a question for you nox. Would you be OK with them building a road through your land if it's for the "greater good"?

The M17 is cutting right through the middle of one of our family farms and taking a decent chunk out of the edge of another.
    I agree with you on this (been cycling to work in Galway City for the last 15 years.)

I would strongly disagree with this, I regularly have to drive the 5 min walk to the shop at lunch as its too wet to walk (I sometimes drive anyway as I like to go around to different places at lunch but thats different, if its anyway decent the weather I'll walk to places within 10 mins walk) and every week I see people moping around soaked wet or having to be putting on a load of wet gear etc just to get home frm work even with that its hard to stay fully dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The M17 is cutting right through the middle of one of our family farms and taking a decent chunk out of the edge of another.
    Were ye happy enough that happened or annoyed? What if you didn't have so much land and it was through a chunk of your front garden or even through your house itself? (I believe this will be happening to some people if the ring road goes ahead but open to correction on that)

Genuinely curious by the way. I personally would be pretty annoyed but everyone is different.

By staying in the lane designed for them?

Not their fault its a poor design.

You complain when they are on the path, you complain when they are on the road. You complain when they go fast, you complain when they go slow.

I think no matter what they do, you'll find a way to "generate hate" for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Presumably every driver who blocks up the road in heavy traffic in an 80% empty vehicle is also 'generating hate for themself', right?
    I would strongly disagree with this, I regularly have to drive the 5 min walk to the shop at lunch as its too wet to walk (I sometimes drive anyway as I like to go around to different places at lunch but thats different, if its anyway decent the weather I'll walk to places within 10 mins walk) and every week I see people moping around soaked wet or having to be putting on a load of wet gear etc just to get home frm work even with that its hard to stay fully dry.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time, but really? It's a five minute walk. Get a coat and an umbrella.

I could count on one hand the number of times that it is too wet to walk in Dublin. Is it really that different in Galway?

• Advertisement

You have lost me here - how is this relevant to the Inbound Dublin Road Bus Lane design?

I've been on the bus loads when it's had to crawl all the way from roscam to glean na ri, then another cyclist comes along slowing progress to gmit.

Other thing worth pointing out about this - why is the Bus unable to pass a cyclist on this road? Nothing to do with Car traffic stacking on the regular vehicular lane from Roscam which means the bus cannot leave its own lane to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

I could count on one hand the number of times that it is too wet to walk in Dublin. Is it really that different in Galway?
    Little Geography lesson for you. Galway is on the edge of one of the world's biggest oceans, the Atlantic.

Moisture coming from the Atlantic gets pushed up by the mountains in Connemara forming clouds. When the clouds have sufficient volume, they dump down their rain.

On Galway. Lots of it.

Or here's another way of looking at it. Some cycling enthusiasts a couple of years ago were developing an app looking at rainfall in cities, in an attempt to provide, mainly people in Dublin, with the information that actually, it doesn't rain as much as people think it does.

They researched rainfall amounts in various cities all over Europe. They could not find any other city in Europe where it rained more than Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

-Build the ring road.

-Charge 50 cent, maybe a euro per day to use it

-Ring fence the money raised to fund public transport projects in Galway with a government committment to match the money raised each year

Vote for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

But how much time is being lost? Surely if its a waste of time the bus could go into the normal lane to overtake or is that blocked by cars meaning the bus did actually make progress?

serfboard wrote: »
    Or here's another way of looking at it. Some cycling enthusiasts a couple of years ago were developing an app looking at rainfall in cities, in an attempt to provide, mainly people in Dublin, with the information that actually, it doesn't rain as much as people think it does.

They researched rainfall amounts in various cities all over Europe. They could not find any other city in Europe where it rained more than Galway.

Your on shaky ground here, but ya Galway City gets on average double the rainfall of Dublin City. North County Dublin (around Dublin Airport) gets the least amount of rainfall in Ireland.

Little Geography lesson for you. Galway is on the edge of one of the world's biggest oceans, the Atlantic.

Moisture coming from the Atlantic gets pushed up by the mountains in Connemara forming clouds. When the clouds have sufficient volume, they dump down their rain.

On Galway. Lots of it.

That's great, thanks for the lesson.

Now, how often is it too wet to walk for five minutes? Are ye all sugar cubes there or what?

Now, how often is it too wet to walk for five minutes?
    Don' ya know that it it rains for 10 minutes in 24 hours then its official that it was a wet and rainy day? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What should they do then Mrs OBumble? You would be leaping up and down as well if they were cycling on the footpath. They cannot win. Best to stay legal folks.

Leave the individual vehicle at home and catch the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

the path that runs along the stretch of bus lane from Roscam to Gleann Na Rí very rarely has anybody on it, it doesnt really lead to anywhere thats handy for pedestrians

• Advertisement

Now, how often is it too wet to walk for five minutes? Are ye all sugar cubes there or what?
    No - the problem is that the rain we get in Galway is different to the rain ye get there above in Dublin.

Ye get proper rain. We get sh1tty, misty drizzle that descends for the day and makes the whole place grey and depressing, and which won't show up in the statistics as massive rain volumes, but will show up in days of rain.

So, since it doesn't bother to rain properly here, we're damned if we're going to wear rain gear, since we'll be only out for five minutes.

So after our ten-minute return journey, when we're properly wet through accumulation of drizzle, we vow never to walk again, and bring our cars the next time.

Totally irrational, but sure that's the way we roll here ;)

grbear wrote: »
    -Build the ring road.

-Ring fence the money raised to fund public transport projects in Galway with a government committment to match the money raised each year

Vote for me!

thats not how tolls work in this country, we just give a foreign company the rights to profit from the road for decades and include a clause in the contract that if the full term agreed isn't reached then the state is on the hook for a massive fine

grbear wrote: »
    -Build the ring road.

Vote for me!

I actually think a toll on the ring road that's ring fenced for public transport would be a great idea and would greatly lessen my objection to it. If the council was serious about getting people using public transport it would be a no-brainer. I'd even be happy if there was (strictly enforced) exemptions for tradespeople or those that can't do without a car (disabled, etc.). Convert the city streets to heavily prioritiese walking, cycling and public transport and let people make the choice. Similar exemptions for local access to cars where necessary.

Unfortunately it won't happen though. There'd be uproar if it was suggested and even if there was a toll added, it would probably be to a private company like all the others. Or the council would manage it ineptly and everyone that owns a hammer or once stubbed their toe would have an exemption.

Same for the cars then!!!! :D

No - the problem is that the rain we get in Galway is different to the rain ye get there above in Dublin.

Ye get proper rain. We get sh1tty, misty drizzle that descends for the day and makes the whole place grey and depressing, and which won't show up in the statistics as massive rain volumes, but will show up in days of rain.

So, since it doesn't bother to rain properly here, we're damned if we're going to wear rain gear, since we'll be only out for five minutes.

So after our ten-minute return journey, when we're properly wet through accumulation of drizzle, we vow never to walk again, and bring our cars the next time.

Totally irrational, but sure that's the way we roll here ;)
    Lets be honest. People are just lazy as fukc and too dim witted to own a jacket that keeps water off them despite where they live :pac:

Does the definition of 'individual vehicle' include all the single-passenger cars?

we just give a foreign company the rights to profit from the road for decades
    That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is to say that we get a foreign company to build our roads, and let them recoup their investment over a few decades.

And is Ireland the only country that does this? Of course it's not.
    [we] include a clause in the contract that if the full term agreed isn't reached then the state is on the hook for a massive fine
    I'm not sure what you are talking about here. If you're referring to projects like the M3 and N18 Tunnel, indeed we said we would subsidise the routes if the agreed traffic volumes weren't being met. However, this didn't happen on other tolled projects. And in the case of the M3, AFAIK there are no subsidies due because traffic volumes are hitting targets.

In many other cases, we built the motorways directly ourselves by borrowing the money. However, we're not allowed to do that any more, because we have to pretend that money owed in PPPs are not "money owed by the state" in terms of national debt.

But how much time is being lost? Surely if its a waste of time the bus could go into the normal lane to overtake or is that blocked by cars meaning the bus did actually make progress?

when the bus should be traveling 80kmph along that road from roscam and 50 from gleann na ri then its being seriously held up when its forced to crawl at 20kmph totally unnecessarily, what speed the cars are doing in the cars lane is totally irrelevant when the bus corridor should be empty and allowing buses to fly along that road

when the bus should be traveling 80kmph along that road from roscam and 50 from gleann na ri then its being seriously held up when its forced to crawl at 20kmph totally unnecessarily, what speed the cars are doing in the cars lane is totally irrelevant when the bus corridor should be empty and allowing buses to fly along that road

So is there ever any cars in the bus lane, or this some kind of Bermuda-triangle weird other realm where motorists actually obey traffic laws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

So is there ever any cars in the bus lane, or this some kind of Bermuda-triangle weird other realm where motorists actually obey traffic laws?

I genuinely never see cars in bus lanes except when they force quick merging like at the top of the Dublin road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement