Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Did you ever think of getting waterproof shoes?

https://www.clarks.co.uk/Mens/Gore-Tex/c/m185

I only wear bulky shoes/boots if absolutely necessary don't like them really, too warm etc. Wear deck shoes the majority of the time for both look and comfort otherwise its runners and a very odd time boots if going around in the rain is completely unavoidable (always wearing wellingtons on the farm too wet or dry don't like work boots).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I only wear bulky shoes/boots if absolutely necessary don't like them really, too warm etc. Wear deck shoes the majority of the time for both look and comfort otherwise its runners and a very odd time boots if going around in the rain is completely unavoidable (always wearing wellingtons on the farm too wet or dry don't like work boots).

Fair enough so, once there's a good reason for spending the guts of a billion euro on a bypass that won't solve the problem that people expect it to solve.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/?$features=waterproof&q=gtx*

https://www.adidas.ie/gore_tex

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

xckjoo wrote: »
    I actually think a toll on the ring road that's ring fenced for public transport would be a great idea and would greatly lessen my objection to it. If the council was serious about getting people using public transport it would be a no-brainer. I'd even be happy if there was (strictly enforced) exemptions for tradespeople or those that can't do without a car (disabled, etc.). Convert the city streets to heavily prioritiese walking, cycling and public transport and let people make the choice. Similar exemptions for local access to cars where necessary.

Unfortunately it won't happen though. There'd be uproar if it was suggested and even if there was a toll added, it would probably be to a private company like all the others. Or the council would manage it ineptly and everyone that owns a hammer or once stubbed their toe would have an exemption.

If its sold properly I believe ideas like that can work. There would need to be clear goals set out and transparency about how much money was being raised.

-Get a 30 year commitment from the Dail to match any money raised by the toll
    -Include exemptions for appropriate vehicles
    -Let people within Galway County buy an annual pass, with a lower charge for people in the city itself
    -Create a list of projects to be financed by the toll with accompanying price list
    -Revise that price list annually
    -Maintain a website showing just how much money is being raised

Obviously that needs more fleshing out but it's only a basic outline.
    If it was generating €15,000 a day, €30,000 when matched by the Government, that'd be around €11million a year. Taking the Fairview to Amiens Street cycle lane as a guide (I am admittedly picking a very expensive baseline here) that's around 1.5km of new top quality cycle lanes in Galway each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ring roads aren't tolled because you want to encourage people to use them. A toll will just bring through traffic back into the city.

Discodog wrote: »
    Ring roads aren't tolled because you want to encourage people to use them. A toll will just bring through traffic back into the city.

That's why I'd be talking about 50 cent or a Euro for 24 hours of usage. Set it low enough so that people would still use the road despite the toll. Even less if they bought an annual pass.

• Advertisement

grbear wrote: »
    That's why I'd be talking about 50 cent or a Euro for 24 hours of usage. Set it low enough so that people would still use the road despite the toll. Even less if they bought an annual pass.

No road should be tolled, we have paid for our roads though the large amount of tax we pay across multiple things, it's disgraceful to be charging extra on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

three rants:

1 lights at briarhill and parkmore never sync this causes a bottleneck even in moderate traffic
    2 its worse in junction between galway shopping centre and dunnes.
    3 after connacht matches would it kill the council to say double the green man requests for 20 minutes after match?? instead kids and parents running across traffic

does anybody run anything in the council?? they had a traffic controller about 5 years ago he left for cork, is there any integrated smart traffic light system and if so who runs it??
    me thinks a pair of monkeys pulling levers wud be better than what we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Discodog wrote: »

But I thought the whole idea was to massively rezone the rest of the inner city roads to prioritise the likes of public transport so it would be attractive to people commuting? I thought that everyone was claiming that's the only way to get the road space necessary and then all our problems would be solved? Your suggestion seems to imply that the ring road will just be more of the same. Unless the number of cars on the road magically freezes at the current amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

This is just plain wrong. There are plenty of places in Galway City's where there is space for major public transport improvements.

How many meters of bus lane have been built in GALWAY CITY in the last 5 years?

It is also a fallacy to say public transport takeup will increase - ARUP and City Council own figures show this as well to be the case.
    Post ring road been built public transport uptake is aimed in the single digits.
    I know for example off the top of my head they have a modal share of cycling for a University City in 2037 is aimed at 2.8%.

Im not sure where you would put a decent bus lane network anyway (and neither is the development plan). I cant see the space for it. Thats why bus lanes haven't been built.
    No road should be tolled, we have paid for our roads though the large amount of tax we pay across multiple things, it's disgraceful to be charging extra on top.

I entirely disagree. Congestion charges work everywhere they are tried and provide the needed incentive to consider alternative options
    But I thought the whole idea was to massively rezone the rest of the inner city roads to prioritise the likes of public transport so it would be attractive to people commuting? I thought that everyone was claiming that's the only way to get the road space necessary and then all our problems would be solved? Your suggestion seems to imply that the ring road will just be more of the same. Unless the number of cars on the road magically freezes at the current amount.

Im not sure everyone was claiming that. I was though, and its whats in the transport plan for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

three rants:

1 lights at briarhill and parkmore never sync this causes a bottleneck even in moderate traffic
    2 its worse in junction between galway shopping centre and dunnes.
    3 after connacht matches would it kill the council to say double the green man requests for 20 minutes after match?? instead kids and parents running across traffic

does anybody run anything in the council?? they had a traffic controller about 5 years ago he left for cork, is there any integrated smart traffic light system and if so who runs it??
    me thinks a pair of monkeys pulling levers wud be better than what we have now

By all accounts they wouldn't' provide any sort of permanency or commitment for the guy. He was very committed to that controller position, doing it at night and first thing in the morning. Apparently when you didn't notice any traffic it was because he was busy managing, but he was the only one.
    I also heard they wouldn't even procure him a decent laptop to work from home which he was prepared to do. Sound like someone who got a buzz out of making the system work for the road user which means he was never going to fit in at Galway Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

-Get a 30 year commitment from the Dail to match any money raised by the toll

you're off your noodle if you think tolls work for us in this country lol

https://www.thejournal.ie/low-traffic-could-cost-government-30-million-1023849-Aug2013/

do you realise at all how tolls operate here?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/private-firm-to-reap-115bn-bonanza-from-m50-toll-deal-26628381.html

and handing over all the profits to a private company that's got the state locked into a sweet water tight contract that means the tax payer is on the hook to make up any shortfalls in profit if the use of the toll is less than predicted, we can't even renegotiate the contract without paying massive fines to the private company

It's already been stated that it won't be tolled

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It'd be both slower and less flexible than the bus routes.
    Majority of people going to Parkmore would probably still drive as it'd be quicker.
    The solution here is obvious - its bus lanes and orbital bus routes (i.e. no changeovers in eyre square).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

pure.conya wrote: »
    and handing over all the profits to a private company that's got the state locked into a sweet water tight contract that means the tax payer is on the hook to make up any shortfalls in profit if the use of the toll is less than predicted, we can't even renegotiate the contract without paying massive fines to the private company

You've posted a few of the same type of articles now. The suggestion isnt to get a private company to build and toll the road. Its for the government to toll the road and put it towards public transport, which is an entirely different thing.

Either way that's not currently in the plan for the road and would probably, at this point, be politically very hard to get implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

cooperguy wrote: »
    You've posted a few of the same type of articles now. The suggestion isnt to get a private company to build and toll the road. Its for the government to toll the road and put it towards public transport, which is an entirely different thing.

Either way that's not currently in the plan for the road and would probably, at this point, be politically very hard to get implemented

For some reason it’s not something we do.(might be to do with jobs for the boys, who’s to know)

What gets me is the big “funded by the EU” signs at say the start of the limerick tunnel, yet 20 seconds later your paying a toll.

It's already been stated that it won't be tolled

and if you believe that i have a bridge to sell you

I see no reason not to believe them. It was stated the M17 wouldn't be tolled and it isn't.

• Advertisement

I'm aware how tolls and road building in general has worked up until now. I'm also well aware it hasn't gotten us where we need to be so what harm is there in suggesting a different approach? A bit more interesting than yet another conversation about how some people can't handle a five minute walk.

The country is supposed to have turned a corner financially with the national debt now supposed to be falling when measured as a percentage of GDP and also in pure financial terms.
    https://www.financedublin.com/debtclock/

Why not try or at the very least start a conversation about changing tactic?

What about congestion charges? Anyone on for them? I think they'd be a bit moot with the ring road built but I guess it would at least free up city street space for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Keep the bridge, I'll take a tinfoil hat please.

What about congestion charges? Anyone on for them? I think they'd be a bit moot with the ring road built but I guess it would at least free up city street space for other things.

Ineffective and unfair without a credible alternative in place first.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Ineffective and unfair without a credible alternative in place first.
    If the ring road is built and the Council actually follow through with implementing public transport, cycling and walking infrastructure?

If the ring road is built and the Council actually follow through with implementing public transport, cycling and walking infrastructure?

Oh in that case 100% justified. Ring road should be charge free so if you want to leave the city you can use it instead of driving through city and clogging up traffic (congestion charges to act as an additional deterrent), and if you want to go somewhere inside the city you can use public transport. Which when bus lanes & proper routes are in place, would be the quickest way of getting from A - B anyways.

Keep the bridge, I'll take a tinfoil hat please.

ya governments love your stoic optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

you're off your noodle if you think tolls work for us in this country lol

https://www.thejournal.ie/low-traffic-could-cost-government-30-million-1023849-Aug2013/
    You're off your noodle yourself if you think that an almost seven-year-old article is still relevant now.

It was posted somewhere else on boards, that the M3 is not costing anything now, given traffic growth.

OTOH, what about all the other tolled roads where these guarantees weren't in place? The private sector took the hit there during the recession, but you don't mention that because it doesn't suit your narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your argument is dead.
    A bicycle is an individual transport solution.

Nope, the point is not dead at all.

A bicycle is one example of an individual transport solution, which works well for some people.

However it doesn't work for everyone: I've got a knee injury which is badly aggravated by using an exercise bike in the gym for 10 minutes, there's no way I could use an on-street bicycle. Even if I did have somewhere to store it at my city-centre home (I don't).

Personally, provided I'm careful, walking plus the bus is a perfectly good solution 95% of the time. Rental cars, taxis and lifts from friends do the trick the rest of the time.

But other people have to transport tools, disabled clients, elderly parents, hairdressing or nursing equipment, etc. Bicycles don't work for them either.

Cities need cater for the diversity in their residents' lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But other people have to transport tools, disabled clients, elderly parents, hairdressing or nursing equipment, etc. Bicycles don't work for them either.
    If only there was some way that bikes could be used to transport tools and equipment?

https://propelbikes.com/product/butchers-bicycles-mk1-e/

Or elderly or disabled relatives;

5-600x401.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement