Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

If only there was some way that bikes could be used to transport tools and equipment?

https://propelbikes.com/product/butchers-bicycles-mk1-e/

Or elderly or disabled relatives;

5-600x401.jpg

Would you ever stop with the nonsense, no person who is right in the head is going to be doing either of the above. It’s absolute and utter fantasy stuff thinking it’s a practical solution that anybody would even dream doing. You haven’t a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Would you ever stop with the nonsense, no person who is right in the head is going to be doing either of the above. It’s absolute and utter fantasy stuff thinking it’s a practical solution that anybody would even dream doing. You haven’t a clue.

I used to do the big weekly shop on the bike when I was in Galway. Used a trailer. TBF, we lived about 700 meters from two supermarkets. Although quite often saw neighbors stuck in traffic on a Saturday getting to the same shops. One of them actually went and got the same set up about a year ago(bike and trailer) even though they're both retired. Asked them about and their reasoning was that life was too short to be stuck in traffic jams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Attack the post not the poster. If this thread can't be kept civil another traffic thread will close

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Van Immense Bug, calm down.
    The bike people have their way of thinking.
    It may not make sense to you but as long as they're civil they can keep posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    Van Immense Bug, calm down.
    The bike people have their way of thinking.
    It may not make sense to you but as long as they're civil they can keep posting in this thread.

Not balanced. Bike-ists can post regardless of whether they’re civil or not. They’re not held to the same standard.

"talking sh**e (not for the first time either)"
    "car addicts, libertarians or vested interests."
    “ nonsensical”
    “Jeremy Clarkson without the entertainment”
    "like a broken old record"
    "pure reactionary blather"?

All from one and mostly directed to Nox and one other, and not a word from an moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Report any post you take objection to and a mod will check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    Report any post you take objection to and a mod will check.

I wouldn’t waste your time and it’s useful to leave them as it shows people up for what they are. It’s just unfortunate that Nox is held to a higher standard while the cyclists can derail yet another thread and are allowed run amok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I guess that whole worldwide Cycling Without Age movement is entirely populated by people who aren't right in the head so.

https://cyclingwithoutage.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

If only there was some way that bikes could be used to transport tools and equipment?

https://propelbikes.com/product/butchers-bicycles-mk1-e/

Or elderly or disabled relatives;

5-600x401.jpg

Andrew that is a solution for vanishingly few people. I can't imagine you don't know this?

Do you live in Galway yourself by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And also to keep them locked up and out of the view of passers-by, so that they don't get relocated by the local nicker while you're doing the job.

Seriously, I know you're a True Believe and dedicated bicycle evangelist, but can you really not see that there are some uses which they're simply not suitable for?

Imagine taking an elderly person to and from their chemo treatments on one of those things you pictured? On a wet or windy day, because you know, hospital appointments are hard to get and you cannot delay one just 'cos of the weather.

Or having three children under five, along with your supermarket shopping and the dog, in one of the kiddie trailers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Obviously cycling isn't for everyone. That goes for every city in the world, including the most cycle friendly cities in the Netherlands, there's Dutch plumbers and builders too!
    That doesn't discount it as a mode of transport for Irish cities and it should be encouraged, made safer and there should be a larger percentage of the roads infrastructure budget allocated for safe cycling.
    I live in Dublin on the coast where there's a long coastal cycle track heading in to the city and it's packed with cyclists during rush hour.
    If every one of these cyclist were in cars the traffic would be horrendously worse.

It's a bit of a "build it and they will come" scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I support cycle lanes & bus lanes provided that car drivers are given space via a proper ring road. I don't support the cohort who want to force people in cars out of the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Discodog wrote: »
    I support cycle lanes & bus lanes provided that car drivers are given space via a proper ring road. I don't support the cohort who want to force people in cars out of the City.

Almost all road space is already given over to cars and the result is gridlock. Investment in public transport and other infrastructure that would reduce people's journey times should not be contingent on hundreds of millions more being thrown at traffic.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Almost all road space is already given over to cars and the result is gridlock. Investment in public transport and other infrastructure that would reduce people's journey times should not be contingent on hundreds of millions more being thrown at traffic.

Some people's journey times.

It feels like some in Galway want to restore the medieval walls & stop anyone, other than a resident, from entering.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Obviously cycling isn't for everyone. That goes for every city in the world, including the most cycle friendly cities in the Netherlands, there's Dutch plumbers and builders too!

Yes indeed, plumbers and builders too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYvVibfebc1eNWLu2lpbe3ogzsj0xeKhfdxC6smj-JiK93ALuTrw&s

bremen-germany-21st-jan-2015-plumber-theodor-roehm-rides-with-his-EFWF3M.jpg
    And also to keep them locked up and out of the view of passers-by, so that they don't get relocated by the local nicker while you're doing the job.

Yes, if only there was some kind of container with a similar degree of security to a locked van?

e-cargo-bike.jpeg

Seriously, I know you're a True Believe and dedicated bicycle evangelist, but can you really not see that there are some uses which they're simply not suitable for?

Yes, I'm one of 'the bike people' apparently, whatever that is.

Can you see that most of the reasons why bikes are simply not suitable are simply because we've constructed our society around a car-dominated thinking?

Yes indeed, plumbers and builders too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYvVibfebc1eNWLu2lpbe3ogzsj0xeKhfdxC6smj-JiK93ALuTrw&s

bremen-germany-21st-jan-2015-plumber-theodor-roehm-rides-with-his-EFWF3M.jpg

Yes, if only there was some kind of container with a similar degree of security to a locked van?

e-cargo-bike.jpeg

Yes, I'm one of 'the bike people' apparently, whatever that is.

Can you see that most of the reasons why bikes are simply not suitable are simply because we've constructed our society around a car-dominated thinking?

Andrew seriously. Do you have any idea of the weight of tools a typical plumber/carpenter carries round? By the time they've humped all their stuff somewhere they'd hardly be fit to work, nevermind turning up in a muck lather of sweat.

How far they typically travel to jobs? How many need to attend multiple sites in a day?

Again. Its not that some of the above won't work but they apply to very few people in the real world. You are doing neither yourself or the case for cycling any good without acknowledging this.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Andrew seriously. Do you have any idea of the weight of tools a typical plumber/carpenter carries round? By the time they've humped all their stuff somewhere they'd hardly be fit to work, nevermind turning up in a muck lather of sweat.

How far they typically travel to jobs? How many need to attend multiple sites in a day?

Again. Its not that some of the above won't work but they apply to very few people in the real world. You are doing neither yourself or the case for cycling any good without acknowledging this.

Totally agree. I would be cycling in for 15 miles then doing a days work & cycling home. It's absolute madness & Amsterdam is totally different to Galway.

PCeeeee wrote: »

You've heard about eBikes, right?

Andrew that box takes up the same road space as a car. And because it's a lot slower it would take it up for a far greater time to make the same journey. So in terms of road usage its actually worse.

The only advantage it has is that it uses less fossil fuel. But if you're a plumber travelling to an emergency callout, the extra destruction done in the meantime is likely to seriously undermine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This guy most be trolling

• Advertisement

Andrew that box takes up the same road space as a car. And because it's a lot slower it would take it up for a far greater time to make the same journey. So in terms of road usage its actually worse.

The only advantage it has is that it uses less fossil fuel. But if you're a plumber travelling to an emergency callout, the extra destruction done in the meantime is likely to seriously undermine that.

The box is quite good. You could hide an engine in there :pac:

Bikes are great and all, Mrs OB, but you have pointed out the serious limitation that they're not like the Tardis, with more space on the inside than on the outside. So yes, if you want to carry a huge pile of stuff, it's going to take a huge pile of space. That's the basic laws of physics involved.

I wonder how much time plumbers spend rushing to emergency callouts, compared to the time they spend travelling to and from ordinary work every day? Are you clutching at straws a bit with the 'emergency callout' issue?

Bikes are great and all, Mrs OB, but you have pointed out the serious limitation that they're not like the Tardis, with more space on the inside than on the outside. So yes, if you want to carry a huge pile of stuff, it's going to take a huge pile of space. That's the basic laws of physics involved.

I wonder how much time plumbers spend rushing to emergency callouts, compared to the time they spend travelling to and from ordinary work every day? Are you clutching at straws a bit with the 'emergency callout' issue?

Most I know would get a job in the City, then one in Renmore, then Knocknacara etc. Oh & then there's the trips to the builders merchants. Ever wonder why they have big tubes on the roof ?

MadYaker wrote: »
    This guy most be trolling

Trolling does not mean "continues to express a different opinion".

I actually reckon that bicycles have the same attraction to some people that trains do to some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Many of the supermarkets do delivery, Tesco do it free for OAPs. Plus you have the likes of Deliveroo, Uber Eats and that other one with the annoying slogan.

Trolling does not mean "continues to express a different opinion".

I actually reckon that bicycles have the same attraction to some people that trains do to some others.

But train spotters don't hate cars ;)

You've heard about eBikes, right?

I have indeed and will likely purchase one in the future. Perhaps when my bike to work scheme is open to me again.

I think I'll leave us to disagree. In my view you are not interested in the limitations of the bicycle. I'll likely use mine this evening. It will transport me effectively.

I will not however attempt to use it to transport elderly or worse again disabled relatives. I will not use if to transport large or heavy loads. That would just be silly.

jjpep wrote: »
    I used to do the big weekly shop on the bike when I was in Galway. Used a trailer. TBF, we lived about 700 meters from two supermarkets. Although quite often saw neighbors stuck in traffic on a Saturday getting to the same shops. One of them actually went and got the same set up about a year ago(bike and trailer) even though they're both retired. Asked them about and their reasoning was that life was too short to be stuck in traffic jams.

To be fair the post you quoted I’m referring to a post which is claiming bikes are a practical way of moving elderly people and for trades people to get around. They are not suitable by any stretch of the imagination.

While I wouldn’t do it nor do I understand why anyone else would want to, doing shopping is doable with a bike so I wasn’t talking about this type of usage.

You have absolutely no understanding of what trades people do, what they need to carry etc if you think a bike or any sort is in anyway suitable. Someone doing fairly light diy might struggle along with some of the options you have shown but not a real trades person.

Similar for suggestions of using bikes to move elderly people, as someone else pointed out it would suit a vanishingly small number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I stand corrected! Tradespeople do operate on bikes in Dutch cities.

People are correct though, only a clampdown on one off housing and a massive improvement on cycle infrastructure will make it possible for Irish Cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Nope, the point is not dead at all.

A bicycle is one example of an individual transport solution, which works well for some people.
    Cities need cater for the diversity in their residents' lives.

Thanks for adding weight to my point. You are the one who is on here dictating to people that they leave there individual transport solution at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement