Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yeah I know they were on about mopeds.

I’ve never said I don’t see a place for bikes just they aren’t for me or a lot of people. The e-scooters require no effort to get around on which is the big attraction :D. They are also handy to stick in the boot, bring up into an office etc.

Personally in my circumstances I wouldn’t see one as a main way of getting around by any means but a handy thing for zipping around shortish distances for lunch, picking up something from the shop/chemist etc. Maybe if park and ride was close enough o town it would be an option of nice days also. If living close to work I’d definitely see one as being a good option for commuting (say with 5km of work).

I’m trying to justify buying one for the Craic as it is but I don’t really think I’d get the use for spending 5 or 600 euro.

I wouldn’t be too bothered about dedicated infrastructure, what ever bits of cycle lanes are around plus in normal traffic would be fine. I’ve no fear of being in traffic on bikes etc, despite what many think I have actually cycled quite a bit in cities especially picking up coke bikes etc I just don’t see cycling as being the complete travel method others do and certainly not for the distances or carrying stuff some promote it for. Totally agree on keeping them off footpaths also along with bikes.

I rented one recently in cologne. They're everywhere there. I have to say, they're class, so much fun and really cheap to use. You just pick one up at the side of road, drive to your destination and just leave it anywhere you want (within a certain city boundary of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’ve never said I don’t see a place for bikes just they aren’t for me or a lot of people. The e-scooters require no effort to get around on which is the big attraction :D. They are also handy to stick in the boot, bring up into an office etc.

Personally in my circumstances I wouldn’t see one as a main way of getting around by any means but a handy thing for zipping around shortish distances for lunch, picking up something from the shop/chemist etc. Maybe if park and ride was close enough o town it would be an option of nice days also. If living close to work I’d definitely see one as being a good option for commuting (say with 5km of work).

I’m trying to justify buying one for the Craic as it is but I don’t really think I’d get the use for spending 5 or 600 euro.

I wouldn’t be too bothered about dedicated infrastructure, what ever bits of cycle lanes are around plus in normal traffic would be fine. I’ve no fear of being in traffic on bikes etc, despite what many think I have actually cycled quite a bit in cities especially picking up coke bikes etc I just don’t see cycling as being the complete travel method others do and certainly not for the distances or carrying stuff some promote it for. Totally agree on keeping them off footpaths also along with bikes.

I can see exactly where you're coming from. The DART has a good few E-Scooter passengers on it now (about 7 of my neighbours have them). Girls in good clothes and make up, blokes in suits not interested in cycling, not interested in the hassle of showering when they get to work. A lot of companies will pay for their workers yearly public transport too (my wife's company does and it's over 1k a year)

It's a good idea and they're very safe and there's no conflict with them and the cyclists in the cycle lanes or pedestrians on footpaths. I bought a Onewheel for a "final commute" (home to DART station and DART station to work) when I was working for a company and it was well worth it... good craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Slippery slope dude! It starts with Coke bikes and before you know it you’re on here extolling the virtues of cargo bikes and uploading footage of punishment passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just to come back to this point for a minute (not necessarily aimed at you). It's not about being brave enough to cycle in traffic that's the issue. You should be afraid of what a car can do to you. They're a couple of tonnes of metal that'll make minced meat out of the human body with just the press of a foot. And they let all kinds of idiots drive them who won't even follow the basic safety rules that are in place (speed limits, safe passing, no phones, etc.). That's why we need separate infrastructure for cycling.

I agree that they're not a complete form of transport and not suitable for a lot of people. But they're stupidly efficient and can provide the majority of travel for a huge number of people. I also think cycling infrastructure should be shared with the likes of the e-scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Just to come back to this point for a minute (not necessarily aimed at you). It's not about being brave enough to cycle in traffic that's the issue........ That's why we need separate infrastructure for cycling.
    Maybe a better way of putting it - need infrastructure for the people who would like to cycle but currently do not. The "brave" already do.
    Another problem with most of the existing cycling infrastructure in Galway City is that it is even less suitable for e-scooters than the main carriageways. Surface on many of the lanes/paths is far poorer than that of main carriageways. Wheel size of a bicycle is more forgiving than an e-scooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm on my phone and can't see the second photo clearly, so won't speak to that.
    But Andrew, honestly, do you think the guy carrying the tins of paint is taking due care and behaving responsibly?

What could possibly go wrong? Could there be some kind of comical incident involving a cyclist going head first into a tub of paint or something?

Relative to the 98% of drivers that are breaking urban speed limits, it seems to be a very minor issue to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What could possibly go wrong? Could there be some kind of comical incident involving a cyclist going head first into a tub of paint or something?

Relative to the 98% of drivers that are breaking urban speed limits, it seems to be a very minor issue to me.

As many of us will know from experience - carrying stuff across the handlebars is never a good idea.
    Get a rack and tie it on the back or a basket and put it in the front - but this craic of balancing shopping bags/paint tins/tools either side of the handlebars is the stupidest way to carry stuff on a bike.

Whataboutery regarding drivers in the city doesn't make it okay.

timmyntc wrote: »
    As many of us will know from experience - carrying stuff across the handlebars is never a good idea.
    Get a rack and tie it on the back or a basket and put it in the front - but this craic of balancing shopping bags/paint tins/tools either side of the handlebars is the stupidest way to carry stuff on a bike.

Whataboutery regarding drivers in the city doesn't make it okay.

I learned that the hard way while picking up cans from the offie before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

timmyntc wrote: »

Ok.. so more cargo bikes, bike trailers should be encouraged with improved cycle infrastructure, but right now, cyclists have nothing bot a positive impact on city traffic, which this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Road behaviour is bad and worsening in the city.

Firstly today, I saw throw his bike down on the road in a tantrum blocking traffic just before the roundabout on the Sean Mulvoy road. Started taking photos of the golf immediately behind him Inc of all the passengers inside. Few people got out of their cars and started screaming at the cyclist. Was fun to watch.

Following that, a van with a trailer decided to run an amber light and get stuck in the yellow box at the Ffrench junction blocking all traffic from the wellpark road for almost the entire duration of the lights

Some horrifically blatant red light jumping to be seen at many junctions, mainly during traffic.

Finally, on the N67 outside the Galway Clinic, an elderly couple driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway! Had driven most of the length between the junctions before finally deciding to take a U-Turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Road behaviour is bad and worsening in the city.

Firstly, I saw throw his bike down on the road in a tantrum blocking traffic just before the roundabout on the Sean Mulvoy road. Started taking photos of the gold immediately behind him Inc of all the passengers inside. Few people got out of their cars and started screaming at the cyclist. Was fun to watch.

Following that, a van with a trailer decided to run an amber light and get stuck in the yellow box at the Ffrench junction blocking all traffic from the wellpark road for almost the entire duration of the lights

Some horrifically blatant red light jumping to be seen at many junctions, mainly during traffic.

Finally, on the N67 outside the Galway Clinic, an elderly couple driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway! Had driven most of the length between the junctions before finally deciding to take a U-Turn.

all ya have do is stand anywhere for 5 mins to see the quality of drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

To be honest with you AndrewJ, I just wanted to see if you had to have a dig at cars in your response.....and you did.

Your hatred of cars is so enveloping, you can't even be objective about the clear case of irresponsible behavior that that photo shows.

Any chance that I could take anything you say seriously, is gone.

pure.conya wrote: »
    all ya have do is stand anywhere for 5 mins to see the quality of drivers

More like, quality of road users in general

There are idiot drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, there are few angels out there

To be honest with you AndrewJ, I just wanted to see if you had to have a dig at cars in your response.....and you did.

Your hatred of cars is so enveloping, you can't even be objective about the clear case of irresponsible behavior that that photo shows.

If I end up driving a car today, will I be hating myself or just the car that I'm driving?

And you might have missed my question about what could possibly go wrong?

There are idiot drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, there are few angels out there

Yes, that's true. Though the idiot cyclists and pedestrians aren't the ones killing two or three people each week.

Yes, that's true. Though the idiot cyclists and pedestrians aren't the ones killing two or three people each week.

In many cases where pedestrians are killed it’s their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Andrew's response re the paint pot, the suggestion that all a painter needs to carry is paint, and his lack of knowledge of Galway make me to think that he's either a bot, or someone with a bicycle fixation who crawls boards looking for places to post about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Victim blaming. Nice. ****ty even by your standards of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiona_b

Oh my, I agree everyone rushes in this life tempo, but a lil more relaxed, careful driving with foresight from each of us to get us from one place to another. fl4gg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Andrew's response re the paint pot, the suggestion that all a painter needs to carry is paint, and his lack of knowledge of Galway make me to think that he's either a bot, or someone with a bicycle fixation who crawls boards looking for places to post about them.

Surely between his insatiable desire for bikes and your irrational fear of them ye could find a middle ground where ye could both be happy, one can only hope.

Jesus Christ. I presume you've some hard stats to back up that kinda of sh1tty statement

• Advertisement

jjpep wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I presume you've some hard stats to back up that kinda of sh1tty statement

An absolutely dispicable claim, in the same league as blaming women who get raped for having a drink or wearing a short skirt.

But even if it were true (which, to be clear, it's not), it still wouldn't explain the majority of road deaths and injuries which are motorists killing themselves, other motorists and passengers. Even nox will find it hard to find a way to blame pedestrians and cyclists for collisions that had no pedestrian or cyclist involved. Maybe it's the fault of all those good looking cyclists and pedestrians for distracting the poor motorists?

Could you point out where I made this particular suggestion please?

Get of the high horses will ye. It’s well known that drunk people falling in front of cars, wearing dark clothes on dark roads etc are definite reasons for people getting knocked down. It’s obviously not all people who get knocked down but it’s idiotic to try and claim that a pedestrians are not at fault in many cases where they get knocked down. Just look at the idiotic behaviour of many of them and it’s easy to see how it happens, running across busy roads can, falling out into the road when drunk etc.

Also when you see those stats for alcohol involved in a accident resulting in a death it’s often a pedestrian with drink taken.
    An absolutely dispicable claim, in the same league as blaming women who get raped for having a drink or wearing a short skirt.

But even if it were true (which, to be clear, it's not),?

Of course it’s true, idiotic to claim that pedestrians are not often to blame when they get knocked down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Get of the high horses will ye. It’s well known that drunk people falling in front of cars, wearing dark clothes on dark roads etc are definite reasons for people getting knocked down. It’s obviously not all people who get knocked down but it’s idiotic to try and claim that a pedestrians are not at fault in many cases where they get knocked down. Just look at the idiotic behaviour of many of them and it’s easy to see how it happens, running across busy roads can, falling out into the road when drunk etc.

Also when you see those stats for alcohol involved in a accident resulting in a death it’s often a pedestrian with drink taken.

Of course it’s true, idiotic to claim that pedestrians are not often to blame when they get knocked down.

It's often..
    It's well known...
    Many people say...
    Blah blah blah

As always, your spouting rubbish and you've got nothing to back it up. Either admit you said something stupid and move on or prove it.

It's often..
    It's well known...
    Many people say...
    Blah blah blah

As always, your spouting rubbish and you've got nothing to back it up. Either admit you said something stupid and move on or prove it.

So a pedestrian is never at fault?

I’ve had multiple near misses myself with pedestrians running in front of me, falling in front of me etc. Look at the massive campaign to get pedestrians to wear high vis, the campaign on thinking of how to get home from the pub safely if walking etc. It doesn’t take a genius to understand that this is because they are putting themselves in danger and being at fault for getting hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless the civility rises significantly in this thread I will close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's often..
    It's well known...
    Many people say...
    Blah blah blah

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/half-of-all-pedestrians-killed-on-irish-roads-had-alcohol-taken-1.3647965

"Half of all pedestrians killed on Irish roads whose deaths were analysed by either the Garda or the coroner, had alcohol taken."

That's with about 30 seconds googling. There's plenty more if you want to look.

Yes, driver behaviour is a problem. And yes, the driver is always legally liable.

But pedestrian behaviour sometimes causes the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Biko,
    Close it.
    Again, Traffic thread has run its course and the nastiness in people is coming to the fore. This thread just cannot be discussed civily.Its becoming ugly and personal. unfortunately.

JackyJoe wrote: »
    Biko,
    Close it.
    Again, Traffic thread has run its course and the nastiness in people is coming to the fore. This thread just cannot be discussed civily.Its becoming ugly and personal. unfortunately.

Please doesn’t, this is a great thread imo.

Unless you're able to provide some proof that all these deaths are caused by people "falling in front of cars" then you're just talking out your hole. The law (and common decency) rightly puts the burden of safe on the person in control of the vehicle. You don't get to just drive like the roads are only for you. You're supposed to "expect the unexpected". Remember the ads?
    How many of those people with alcohol in their system are so drunk they're falling in front of cars? Funny how you're arguing the stats for alcohol in accident are not representative of drunk driving but anyone with any alcohol in their system killed walking must be to blame. Fairly sure I've seen you argue you should be able to have a few drinks are drive home before too. Do you think people should be able to drive home with a few drinks but not walk home safely?

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/half-of-all-pedestrians-killed-on-irish-roads-had-alcohol-taken-1.3647965

"Half of all pedestrians killed on Irish roads whose deaths were analysed by either the Garda or the coroner, had alcohol taken."

That's with about 30 seconds googling. There's plenty more if you want to look.

Yes, driver behaviour is a problem. And yes, the driver is always legally liable.

But pedestrian behaviour sometimes causes the death.

Is there a link to the research in that article? Cause all I can gather from it is that 16% had 4+ times the legal driving limit? Not exactly "often". Particularly for those other posters on here who think that limit is far too low :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement