Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/half-of-all-pedestrians-killed-on-irish-roads-had-alcohol-taken-1.3647965

"Half of all pedestrians killed on Irish roads whose deaths were analysed by either the Garda or the coroner, had alcohol taken."

That's with about 30 seconds googling. There's plenty more if you want to look.

Yes, driver behaviour is a problem. And yes, the driver is always legally liable.

But pedestrian behaviour sometimes causes the death.

That statement tells you nothing about blame for collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From article
    Almost one in 10 of those who were killed (9 per cent) were found to have been killed while lying in the road and 8 per cent were killed standing in the road.
    I suppose it's still not clear who's to blame when a drunk person is lying in the road. Is it still the driver's?

biko wrote: »
    From article

I suppose it's still not clear who's to blame when a drunk person is lying in the road. Is it still the driver's?

8% - 9% is not 'most people' or 'many cases' - they are a small number of very unusual cases, 3 or 4 people each year.

It's a long way off justifying the claims from nox or Mrs OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

8% - 9% is not 'most people' or 'many cases' - they are a small number of very unusual cases, 3 or 4 people each year.

It's a long way off justifying the claims from nox or Mrs OB.

Almost 1 in 10 is a significant number.
    Regardless of who is to blame - it doesn't really pertain to galway traffic does it?

In other news, it's Novena week.
    Anyone know what direction the majority of Novena-heads come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They come with God's speed and are protected from traffic laws by God's shield.

• Advertisement

They will come in from both sides really for the novena though depends on the time of day. I’d usually try to get in at the lunch time one a few days and there is usually a big enough and youngish crowd which you would assume is people coming in from work so could be any direction really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/boston-scientific-warns-city-ring-road-plans-puts-future-expansion-at-risk/?fbclid=IwAR042hj8fICQV7l5xWWl_nrWI2nzjmbQL6obz0yN6wQdbaYcXgq3wYupOz8

Boston Scientific and other businesses going before an oral hearing on the proposed ring road.

I'm assuming HP, Microfocus and DXC will too since they are right beside it. Maybe Supermacs too. Which I'd imagine puts the final nail in the coffin of the proposed route.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Taken from a facebook page.

The ABP Oral Hearing for the Urban Expressway kicks off tomorrow in the G Hotel. Crazy to think that in the year 2020 we are even contemplating building a road that will increase CO2 levels by 37%, lead to an increase in motor vehicle use, a decrease in cycling levels and do sweet FA for public transport use. A fun 27 days ahead!

Galway: City of Car Culture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

topcat77 wrote: »

The ABP Oral Hearing for the Urban Expressway kicks off tomorrow in the G Hotel. Crazy to think that in the year 2020 we are even contemplating building a road that will increase CO2 levels by 37%, lead to an increase in motor vehicle use, a decrease in cycling levels and do sweet FA for public transport use. A fun 27 days ahead!

37%!? That's mad. I'd love to know how they are projecting that and what leads tot he projection of a decrease in cycling. Is it because it will take away from some current infrastructure for cycling? I'd imagine no since there's f**k all for cyclists as it is.

If there's an alternative like investing public transport, they'd better get the thumb out before the city chokes to death. There's so much opportunity for new business with Brexit and our housing, office space and accessibility issues will cripple us.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Cycling levels as a percentage of transportation will drop. A bigger increase in cars than cyclists. That how i read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »

I'm assuming HP, Microfocus and DXC will too since they are right beside it.

Unlikely. They are now tiny, and I hear have let some of their large new building to Boston, hence the cutting the campus in half concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

topcat77 wrote: »

Seems like an odd claim that removing cars from the city centre would decrease people's ability to cycle and its just wrong to claim it will do nothing for public transport considering its one of the main components of the Galway transportation strategy

Sure how could anyone ever do any shopping without having a huge SUV or a pick-up truck?

503172.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sure how could anyone ever do any shopping without having a huge SUV or a pick-up truck?

503172.png

It proves what I've thought for a long time...some cyclists are full of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

cooperguy wrote: »
    Seems like an odd claim that removing cars from the city centre would decrease people's ability to cycle and its just wrong to claim it will do nothing for public transport considering its one of the main components of the Galway transportation strategy

Its not a claim, this is actually part of the Galway Transportation strategy.
    the statement from the facebook page in question (dont know what facebook page this is)
    CO2 levels by 37%, lead to an increase in motor vehicle use, a decrease in cycling levels and do sweet FA for public transport use.

All this is correct. Would recommend to read the documentation on the Galway Transportation strategy.
    These are the figures Galway City/County Council and ARUP have projected themselves.
    They project by 2037, Cycling will decrease from 6% to 2.8% modal share after the Ring Road is built.
    They are calculating in "induced demand" of the Ring Road itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

The one line tram proposed for Galway City:

gal2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

great if only want to get to city centre, if you are near the route that is.

good attempt but simply its not servicing the main employment hubs..... such as parkmore and ballybrit.

You should realise you are hindering your arguments rather than helping them with the silly pics you are posting.

The one line tram proposed for Galway City:

gal2.jpg

Discussed to death already - it's not viable because of speed. (Also land to build it and objections)
    It would take longer than sitting in traffic in a car to get to work - so feck all people would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

timmyntc wrote: »
    Discussed to death already - it's not viable because of speed. (Also land to build it and objections)
    It would take longer than sitting in traffic in a car to get to work - so feck all people would use it.

Echoes of the naysayers regarding the DART, the LUAS, Dublin bikes, Galway bikes, Port Tunnel etc... exact same excuses rolled out against public transport and other successful transport initiatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Has the building of the bypass already started ??
    What are they doing in bohermore ??
    Has to be the bypass...
    5 lads working on a project in a city center and 2 of those doing traffic management .
    I've seen some crap work going on in galway over the years but this is up there with it .
    This Thursday and Friday will be terrible in galway city regarding traffic .
    (1) road works
    (2) novena
    (3) mid term break from school
    (4) bad weather .. C
    A recipe for a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Has the building of the bypass already started ??
    What are they doing in bohermore ??
    Has to be the bypass...
    5 lads working on a project in a city center and 2 of those doing traffic management .
    I've seen some crap work going on in galway over the years but this is up there with it .
    This Thursday and Friday will be terrible in galway city regarding traffic .
    (1) road works
    (2) novena
    (3) mid term break from school
    (4) bad weather .. C
    A recipe for a disaster

Irish Water are the ones digging up Bohermore, there is no work started on the By Pass it has not even gone through the planning process yet.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Echoes of the naysayers regarding the DART, the LUAS, Dublin bikes, Galway bikes, Port Tunnel etc... exact same excuses rolled out against public transport and other successful transport initiatives.

Who claimed that these initiatives would not have worked? I don't recall any arguments about the effectiveness of them, just different flavours of NIMBYism.

I mean, you can't seriously look at that proposed tramline and think its a good idea that will solve our problems?
    A long slow meandering journey from Barna, up through Knocknacarra, Westside then back down into Salthill - then through the city center towards Headford then through Liosban & Mervue before getting near Ballybrit/Parkmore.

Even if all roads were clear and lights were green and you were driving like a madman you would barely make that trip in an hour. How is a slow moving tram which will have multiple stops & traffic crossings supposed to do that journey in any kind of reasonable time?

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1115994/
    The oral hearings start today - is anyone attending?

Edit: That tramline was an academic exercise - sort of an optimal path covering as much residences as possible.
    It isn't a realistic route.

They will come in from both sides really for the novena though depends on the time of day. I’d usually try to get in at the lunch time one a few days and there is usually a big enough and youngish crowd which you would assume is people coming in from work so could be any direction really.

This isn't yourself, by any chance?

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCars/status/1229719659689148417

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    My only issue with something like a light rail system is that I can't see how it wouldn't be faster and cheaper to improve the existing bus infrastructure. The rail would need lines put down, the bus would use existing roads and I think both would require similar levels of traffic re-routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

timmyntc wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It boils my piss, the pass that mass goers and GAA supporters get when it comes to road traffic laws in Galway:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It boils my piss, the pass that mass goers and GAA supporters get when it comes to road traffic laws in Galway:mad:

Well just start "getting the Mass" and supporting "the Parish" playing gaah, and you'll be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its not a claim, this is actually part of the Galway Transportation strategy.
    the statement from the facebook page in question (dont know what facebook page this is)
    CO2 levels by 37%, lead to an increase in motor vehicle use, a decrease in cycling levels and do sweet FA for public transport use.

All this is correct. Would recommend to read the documentation on the Galway Transportation strategy.
    These are the figures Galway City/County Council and ARUP have projected themselves.
    They project by 2037, Cycling will decrease from 6% to 2.8% modal share after the Ring Road is built.
    They are calculating in "induced demand" of the Ring Road itself.

Induced demand may decrease cycling as a percentage but will not reduce the amount of cycling (though it would make the city area a safer cycling location).

Saying it does nothing for public transport is wrong however. They cant execute the public transport plans without the addition of the river crossing that the new road brings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement