Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The proposed line would have (about) 20 stops. The average time between stops would be about 90 seconds (standard on other such systems). That means you could go from Bearna to Oranmore in about 30 minutes on such a line. Or, put differently, you could go from either Bearna or Oranmore to the city center in about 15 minutes.

Sure you could.

Provided no one got on or off along the way.

Catch a bus sometime, and you'll realise that most of the delay is due to stopping for passengers.

I think bus lanes need to be fully restricted to buses only. Bikes get a separate, properly Segregated lane and taxis join the rest of the cars.

No reason why taxis should be in those lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I think bus lanes need to be fully restricted to buses only. Bikes get a separate, properly Segregated lane and taxis join the rest of the cars.

No reason why they shouldn't surely? Do they frequently obstruct buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

?Cee?view wrote: »
    No reason why they shouldn't surely? Do they frequently obstruct buses?

I'd agree with DaCor.
    One passenger in a cab is no different from a traffic point of view than a single occupant vehicle.
    I'd have a minimum of three passengers before allowing in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

Sure you could.

Provided no one got on or off along the way.

Catch a bus sometime, and you'll realise that most of the delay is due to stopping for passengers.
    No.
    The 90 seconds is the average difference between the _departure_ time from each stop. If A1 and A2 are successive stops, it it leaves A1 at 10:31:20, it would on average leave A2 at 10:32:50.
    90 seconds includes the stopping time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

How is the cycling going for everyone this week?

Too wet and windy for me. Took the train from Oran the last few days. Glad I have that option as I work in the City centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Wombatman wrote: »

My road-bike is out of action, so I commuted on my 26' BMX today. Absolutely drowned, but it was fun :D

beans wrote: »
    My road-bike is out of action, so I commuted on my 26' BMX today. Absolutely drowned, but it was fun :D

Dang. No mud guards!
    Do you have far to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Dang. No mud guards!
    Do you have far to go?

Doughiska to Dangan, ~30 minutes. Still beats sitting on the 404 for an hour in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Too wet and windy for me. Took the train from Oran the last few days. Glad I have that option as I work in the City centre.

Only got caught in one shower on trips this week, but just pulled up into a sheltered bus stop for 5 minutes till it was finished .Those bus shelters are really handy (even the ones that are no longer serviced) :D
    Was damp this morning - but not heavy rain; surface water can be a bigger issue in these kind of conditions. Commute home could be a little damp this afternoon - does look like its clearing though.
    Tis breezy alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

"
    NUI Galway also withdrew its objection to the proposed ring road, which will have an impact on its sports complex in Dangan. In a brief letter to An Bord Pleanála, the university did not indicate a reason for this decision.
    "

Anybody in the know here understand NUI Galway current position?
    I'm not in the know, but further down in the Irish Times article it states:
    plans for the ring road at NUI Galway have been changed and the sports campus will now retain a GAA pitch, known as pitch nine, which would have been lost under the previous proposal.

Only got caught in one shower on trips this week, but just pulled up into a sheltered bus stop for 5 minutes till it was finished .Those bus shelters are really handy (even the ones that are no longer serviced) :D
    Was damp this morning - but not heavy rain; surface water can be a bigger issue in these kind of conditions. Commute home could be a little damp this afternoon - does look like its clearing though.
    Tis breezy alright

I find the wind more off-putting than the rain TBH. Can be grueling going against this wind plus you can catch a nasty gust and you are out in front of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Can see new plans here for link road to the east of HP/Boston: http://www.n6galwaycityringroad.ie/

Where on the site can you see the new plan?

503286.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm not in the know, but further down in the Irish Times article it states:

NUIG going in for planning for more pitches on western side of sports campus ie Chestnut lane side. Obviously taking a pragmatic view given the likelihood of decent CPO funding.

Disappointing in my view , I find it disappointing a major road will if given planning go right through probably the best sports facilities and parkland amenity in the city

youngrun wrote: »
    NUIG going in for planning for more pitches on western side of sports campus ie Chestnut lane side. Obviously taking a pragmatic view given the likelihood of decent CPO funding.

Disappointing in my view , I find it disappointing a major road will if given planning go right through probably the best sports facilities and parkland amenity in the city

The opposite side of the river could become a big development for NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

youngrun wrote: »

Ya this is an issue for me too. It's one of the nicest areas in the city. Fantastic amenity that's going to be ruined. I don't even have any faith it'll help the traffic issues long-term so disappointed all round.

The opposite side of the river could become a big development for NUIG.
    They own all the land on the Dangan side though. They'll have to buy up on the other side. Plus the current pitches are a nice walk/cycle from the main campus. I don't even know if there's a path or cycle lane to be included on the new bridge so it'll be mainly accessible by car. I guess the campus buses could go there too but it's still not as handy as just strolling up the river bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'm blessed in that there is virtually no road on my commute until the very end and it's only about two miles so even in the rain it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya this is an issue for me too. It's one of the nicest areas in the city. Fantastic amenity that's going to be ruined. I don't even have any faith it'll help the traffic issues long-term so disappointed all round.

They own all the land on the Dangan side though. They'll have to buy up on the other side. Plus the current pitches are a nice walk/cycle from the main campus. I don't even know if there's a path or cycle lane to be included on the new bridge so it'll be mainly accessible by car. I guess the campus buses could go there too but it's still not as handy as just strolling up the river bank.

Surely the University building another pitch is the very essence of using the amenity. It's not going to ruin it. It'll mean it'll be used by more.

You seem to be quite down on the University. It itself if a great amenity, a great employer and in the last year or two the issues around staffing have improved immeasurably.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Maybe it's because we have a Psv licence ... Clue in the name
    PUBLIC SERVICE VECIHCLE ...
    Has the penny dropped with you yet Dacor ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Surely the University building another pitch is the very essence of using the amenity. It's not going to ruin it. It'll mean it'll be used by more.

You seem to be quite down on the University. It itself if a great amenity, a great employer and in the last year or two the issues around staffing have improved immeasurably.
    They're building a big road through the middle of it so not sure how that's going to improve it as an amenity :D. The pitches are only used sporadically but the area is used fairly regularly for people walking, swimming, etc. (although it is a bit of a hidden gem in this regards). I don't think a giant road is going to do anything but ruin that.

My biggest issues with the university are that it's not living up to its potential and their priorities are way out of whack. No point in going into it here though since they have little to do with Galway traffic. But in this regard they have long been letting the students down with housing and adding to traffic congestion by forcing them to commute. I also think they'd have served the community better by putting up a stronger protest against the ring road since it doesn't stand up to scrutiny and is against both the city and universities environmental policies, but that's a minor enough point.

Some amount of work gone into that planning already TBF. Can't see anything stopping it now. They seem to have catered for bats, birds, snails, amphibians, reptiles, flooding, visuals, trees, plants, Hydrogeology etc, etc, etc.

Who knew there were so many bats?
    8.16.1 - 8.16.15 Bat Survey – Tree Survey Results
    8.17.1 Bat Survey – Buildings Surveyed
    8.18.1 Bat Survey Results – Lesser Horseshoe Bat
    8.19.1 Bat Survey Results – Whiskered Bat, Natterer’s Bat, Daubenton’s Bat & Leisler ‘s Bat
    8.20.1 Bat Survey Results – Brown Long-eared Bat, Nathusius’ Pipistrelle, Myotis Species
    8.21.1 Bat Survey Results –Common Pipistrelle, Soprano Pipistrelle & Unidentified Pipistrelle Species
    8.22.1* Static Bat Detector Locations
    8.23.1 - 8.23.15 Biodiversity (excluding Bats) Mitigation

Some light bedtime reading.
    Volume 3 - Figures
    Figures Volume 3
    1.1 Overall Location Plan
    5.1.01 - 5.1.15 Proposed Road Development Plan Layout
    5.2.01 - 5.2.11 Proposed Design Geometry
    5.3.01 - 5.3.21 Proposed Road Development Plan & Profile
    5.4.01 - 5.4.15 Road Lighting Columns and Brackets Location
    7.001 - 7.002 Proposed Site Compounds & Haul Routes Overall Plan
    7.101 - 7.124 Proposed Site Compounds & Haul Routes
    7.201 & 7.202 Potential Blasting Locations During Construction
    7.301 & 7.302 Proposed Material Deposition Areas
    8.1.1 & 8.1.2 Ecological Habitat Survey Site Locations
    8.2.1* Rare and or Protected Plant Species Locations
    8.3.1 - 8.3.15 Mammal Survey Study Area and Results
    8.4.1 & 8.4.2 Bat Surveys Methodology
    8.5.1 White - clawed Crayfish, Freshwater pearl mussel and Vertigo species Surveys
    8.6.1 & 8.6.2* Marsh Fritillary Survey Sites (2014 and 2015) and Results (2013, 2014 and 2015)
    8.6.3 - 8.6.8 Marsh Fritillary Survey Sites and Results
    8.7.1 - 8.7.15 Breeding Bird Survey Results
    8.8.1* Barn Owl Survey Results and Raptor Records
    8.9.1 Winter Bird Survey Sites
    8.10.1 - 8.10.8 Amphibian & Reptile Survey Sites and Results
    8.11.1 Fisheries and Q-Sampling Survey Sites
    8.12.1* European Sites within 15km
    8.13.1 Nationally Designated Sites within 15km
    8.14.1 - 8.14.15 Habitat Survey Results – Fossitt (2000) Habitat Classifications
    8.15.1 - 8.15.15 Habitat Survey Results – Annex 1 Habitat Types & Invasive Plant Species
    8.16.1 - 8.16.15 Bat Survey – Tree Survey Results
    8.17.1 Bat Survey – Buildings Surveyed
    8.18.1 Bat Survey Results – Lesser Horseshoe Bat
    8.19.1 Bat Survey Results – Whiskered Bat, Natterer’s Bat, Daubenton’s Bat & Leisler ‘s Bat
    8.20.1 Bat Survey Results – Brown Long-eared Bat, Nathusius’ Pipistrelle, Myotis Species
    8.21.1 Bat Survey Results –Common Pipistrelle, Soprano Pipistrelle & Unidentified Pipistrelle Species
    8.22.1* Static Bat Detector Locations
    8.23.1 - 8.23.15 Biodiversity (excluding Bats) Mitigation
    8.24.1 - 8.24.15

Bat Mitigation
    9.1.001 & 9.1.002 Quaternary Geology Overview
    9.1.101 - 9.1.115 Quaternary Geology Mapping
    9.2.001 & 9.2.002* Soil Drainage Overview
    9.2.101 - 9.2.115 Soil Drainage Mapping
    9.3.001 & 9.3.002 National Soils Overview
    9.3.101 - 9.3.115 National Soils Mapping
    9.4.001 to 9.4.002 Subsoils Geology Overview
    9.4.101 - 9.4.115* Subsoils Geology Overview
    9.5.001 & 9.5.002 Solid Geology Overview
    9.5.101 - 9.5.115 Solid Geology Mapping
    9.6.001 & 9.6.002 Mineral and Aggregate Overview
    9.6.101 - 9.6.115* Mineral and Aggregate
    9.7.001 & 9.7.002 Soft, Unstable, Contaminated & Geological Heritage Overview
    9.7.101 - 9.7.115 Soft, Unstable, Contaminated & Geological Heritage Mapping
    9.8.001 - 9.8.012 Ground Investigation Plan & Profile
    9.9.001 & 9.9.002 Ground Investigation Overview
    10.1.001 & 10.1.002 Bedrock Aquifer Classification (GSI) with Karst Features
    10.2.001 & 10.2.002 Groundwater Bodies (GSI)
    10.3.001 & 10.3.002 Groundwater Vulnerability (GSI) Existing Environment
    10.4.001 & 10.4.002 Recharge Coefficient (GSI) Existing Environment
    10.5.001 & 10.5.002 Groundwater Receptors
    10.6.001 - 10.6.012* Hydrogeology Plan & Profile
    10.7.101 - 10.7.115 Construction Zone of Influence (ZoI)
    10.8.101 - 10.8.115 Operation Zone of Influence (ZoI)
    11.1.001 & 11.1.002 Hydrology Overview - Drainage Catchments
    11.2.001 & 11.2.002 Flood Risk Mapping - Pluvial & Groundwater Overview
    11.2.101 - 11.2.115* Flood Risk Mapping - Pluvial & Groundwater
    11.3.001 & 11.3.002 Flood Risk Mapping - Fluvial & Coastal Overview
    11.3.101 - 11.3.115* Flood Risk Mapping - Fluvial & Coastal
    11.4.001 & 11.4.002 Flood Risk Mapping – Galway City Council Flood Zones
    11.4.101 - 11.4.115 Flood Risk Mapping – Galway City Council Flood Zones
    11.5.01 - 11.5.02 Proposed Drainage Network Plan Layout Overall Plan
    11.5.101 - 11.5.115 Proposed Road Development Plan Layout and Drainage Network
    11.6.001 Proposed Flood Relief Measures N83 Tuam Road Junction Plan & Longitudinal Section
    12.1.01 - 12.1.15 Landscape and Visual Potential Impacts and Proposed Mitigation Measures
    12.2.01 - 12.2.02 Landscape and Visual Assessment – Landscape Character Overview
    12.3.01 - 12.3.02 Landscape and Visual Assessment – Landscape Planning Aspect
    13.1.01 - 13.1.15 Archaeology, Architectural & Cultural Heritage
    14.1.01 - 14.1.15 Material Assets - Agriculture and Non-Agriculture
    15.1.01 - 15.1.15 Services ESB 38kV & 110kV
    15.2.01 - 15.2.05 Services Gas Networks
    15.3.01 - 15.3.15 Material Assets Non-Agriculture Demolitions & Acquisitions
    15.4.01 & 15.4.02 Development plan Zonings
    16.1.01 - 16.1.07 Air Quality Receptors Locations
    17.1.01 - 17.1.15 Noise Monitoring and Mitigation Locations
    18.1.001 & 18.1.002 Human Beings, Population and Human Health Overview
    18.1.101 - 115 Human Beings, Population and Human Health
    Volume 4 – Appendices
    Appendices Volume 4
    A.1.1 Public Consultation No.1
    A.1.2 Public Consultation No.2
    A.1.3 Public Consultation No.3
    A.5.1 Tunnel Services Buildings Detail
    A.6.1 Phase 3 Traffic Modelling Report
    A.6.1_Appendix A A.6.1. Appendix A WRM Road Model Development Report
    A.6.2 Phase 3 Design - Cost Benefit Analysis Report
    A.7.1 River Corrib Bridge Constructability Examination
    A.7.2 Menlough Viaduct Constructability Examination
    A.7.3 Lackagh Tunnel Geotechnical and Hydrogeological Appraisal
    A.7.4 Galway Racecourse Tunnel Constructability Report
    A.7.5 Construction Environmental Management Plan
    A.8.1 Ecology Field Survey Methodologies
    A.8.2 Consultation Responses
    A.8.3 Galway City Transport Project: Report on the presence of Annex I habitat *7220 Petrifying springs with tufa formation (O’Neill & Barron, 2015)
    A.8.4 Galway City Transport Project - Assessment of Annex I habitats in the Ballygarraun survey area (Perrin, 2014)
    A.8.5
    Galway City Transport Project - Habitat mapping and assessment of a section of Lough Corrib cSAC and surrounding areas (Barron et al., 2017)

A.8.6 Summary of the Fossitt Habitat Classification - from p.14 of A Guide to Habitats in Ireland (Fossitt, 2000)
    A.8.7
    Galway Bat Radio-tracking Project - Bat Radio-tracking surveys. Radio-tracking studies of lesser horseshoe and vesper bat species, August and September 2014 (Rush & Billington, 2014)

A.8.8 Galway City Transport Project - Bat Acoustic Surveys: Summer-Autumn 2014 (Geckoella Ltd., 2015a)
    A.8.9 N6 Galway City Transport Project - Bat Radio-tracking and Roost Surveys 19th to 29th August 2014 (Geckoella Ltd., 2015b)
    A.8.10 Galway bat radio-tracking project. Radio tracking studies of lesser horseshoe bat species, May 2015 (Rush & Billington, 2015)
    A.8.11
    A Survey of Selected Rivers for the Galway City Transport Project with Potential for Margaritifera (Moorkens, 2014a)

A.8.12 Molluscan Survey Results
    A.8.13 N6 Galway City Transport Project Marsh Fritillary Survey Summary Report - 2014 (Woodrow Sustainable Solutions Ltd., 2015)
    A.8.14 Marsh Fritillary Survey Report (Barron et al., 2013)
    A.8.15 The status of Barn Owls within the study area for the proposed N6 Galway City Ring Road
    A.8.16 The occupancy and breeding status of Peregrine falcon in quarries within the survey area for the proposed N6 Galway City Ring Road
    A.8.17 Fisheries Assessment for the N6 Galway City Transport Project (Triturus Environmental Services Ltd., 2018)
    A.8.18 Desk Study
    A.8.19 Habitat Survey Results - Species Lists
    A.8.20 Results of Aquatic Habitat Surveys
    A.8.21 Lackagh Quarry Petrifying Spring Survey Results
    A.8.22 Breeding Bird Survey Results
    A.8.23 Wintering Bird Survey Results
    A.8.24 Badger Sett Mitigation during Construction
    A.8.25 Bat Derogation Licence Application
    A.8.26 Compensatory Habitat Management Plans
    A.9.1a Ground Investigation Reports – Part 1
    A.9.1b Ground Investigation Reports – Part 2
    A.9.1c Ground Investigation Reports – Part 3
    A.10.1 Well Commissioning Report
    A.10.2 Karst Survey Report
    A.10.3 Water Level Monitoring Database
    A.10.4 Groundwater Quality Monitoring Report
    A.10.5 Aquifer Tests Report
    A.10.6 Hydraulic Calculations
    A.10.7 HD45 Assessment
    A.11.1 Flood Risk Assessment Study
    A.11.2 Water Quality Monitoring of Selected Surface Waters for the N6 Galway City Ring Road Project
    A.12.1 Visual Impact Schedule
    A.12.2 River Corrib Bridge Photomontages
    A.12.3
    Photomontages - Key Locations

A.13.1 Archaeological and Historical Background
    A.13.2 Recorded Monuments within the Receiving Environment
    A.13.3 Stray Find from within the Receiving Environment
    A.13.4 Protected Structure & NIAH Structures within the Receiving Environment
    A.13.5 Detailed Landscapes
    A.13.6 Detailed Field Inspection Results
    A.13.7 Detailed Field Inspection Results Plates
    A.13.8 Legislative Framework Protecting the Archaeological Resource
    A.13.9* Legislative Framework Protecting the Architectural Resource
    A.13.10 Impact Assessment and the Cultural Heritage Resource
    A.13.11 Mitigation Measures and the Cultural Heritage Resource
    A.13.12 Geophysical Survey Report
    A.14.1 Summary of Individual Farm Impacts
    * A.15.1 NUIG Sports Facilities Mitigation Proposals
    A.15.2 Galway Racecourse Stables Mitigation Proposals
    A.15.3 110kV Diversion Details
    A.16.1 Galway City Ambient Air Quality February - May 2017
    A.17.1 Baseline Noise Survey Results
    A.17.2 Construction Noise & Vibration Mitigation
    A.17.3 Calculated Road Traffic Noise Levels
    A.18.1 Health Profile 2015 Galway City
    A.18.2 Health Profile 2015 Galway County

Provision of Information for Appropriate Assessment Screening
    Provision of Information for Appropriate Assessment Screening

Natura Impact Assessment Statement
    N6 GCRR - NIS Vol 1 - Exec Summary
    N6 GCRR - Vol 2 - NIS
    Volume 3 - Figures
    Figures Volume 3
    1.1 - 1.15 Proposed Road Development Plan Layout
    2.1 - 2.15 Proposed Road Development Plan Layout and Drainage Network
    3.1 - 3.2 Proposed Site Compounds & Haul Routes Overall Plan
    4.1 Ecological Habitat Survey Site Locations Sheet 1 of 2
    4.2 Ecological Habitat Survey Site Locations Sheet 2 of 2
    5 Hamatocaulis vernicosus Survey Sites & Results
    6 Otter Survey Results
    7 White-clawed crayfish Survey Sites
    8.1 Breeding Bird Survey Results Sheet 1 of 2
    8.2 Breeding Bird Survey Results Sheet 2 of 2
    9 Winter Bird Survey Sites
    10.1.1 Revised groundwater bodies (2017) and European sites Sheet 1 of 2
    10.1.2 Revised groundwater bodies (2017) and European sites Sheet 2 of 2
    10.2.1 Hydrogeological ZoI (drawdown and potential pollution) Sheet 1 of 2
    10.2.2 Hydrogeological ZoI (drawdown and potential pollution) Sheet 2 of 2
    10.3.001 Ross Lake GWB Construction Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 1 of 8
    10.3.2 Ross Lake GWB Operational Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 2 of 8
    * 10.3.3 GWDTE Lough Corrib Fen 1 GWB Construction Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 3 of 8
    10.3.4 GWDTE Lough Corrib Fen 1 GWB Operational Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 4 of 8
    10.3.5 GWDTE Lough Corrib Fen 2 GWB Construction Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 5 of 8
    10.3.6 GWDTE Lough Corrib Fen 2 GWB Operational Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 6 of 8
    10.3.7 Clare - Corrib (Terryland) GWB Construction Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 7 of 8
    10.3.8 Clare - Corrib (Terryland) GWB Operational Hydrogeological premitigation ZoI Sheet 8 of 8
    11.1 Hydrology Overview – Drainage Catchments
    11.2 Hydrology Overview – Drainage Catchments
    12 The proposed Road Development and European Sites
    13.1 Habitat Survey Results – Proposed River Corrib Bridge (Fossitt habitat classifications)
    13.2 Habitat Survey Results – Proposed Drainage Outfall N59 Link Road (Fossitt habitat classifications)
    13.3 Habitat Survey Results – Menlough/Coolagh Lakes (Fossitt habitat classifications)
    13.4 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel (Fossitt habitat classifications)
    13.5 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel ‘Insert A’ (Fossitt habitat Classification)
    14.1 Habitat Survey Results – Proposed River Corrib Bridge (Annex I habitat classifications)
    14.2 Habitat Survey Results – Proposed Road Drainage Outfall – N59 Link Road (Annex I habitat classifications)
    14.3 Habitat Survey Results – Menlough/Coolagh Lakes (Annex I habitat classifications)
    14.4 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel (Annex I habitat classifications)
    * 14.5 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel (Annex I habitat classifications)
    15.1 Habitat Area Reference Codes and Retained areas of habitat in Lough Corrib cSAC
    15.2 Habitat Area Reference Codes and Retained areas of habitat in Lough Corrib cSAC
    15.3 Habitat Area Reference Codes and Retained habitat areas in Lough Corrib cSAC
    15.4 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel (Annex I habitat classifications)
    15.5 Habitat Survey Results – Lackagh Tunnel (Annex I habitat classifications)
    16 European sites within the Zol of the proposed road development
    Volume 4 - Appendices
    NIS Appendix A Hydrogeology
    NIS Appendix B Hydrology Assessment
    NIS Appendix C CEMP
    NIS Appendix D River Corrib Bridge Construction
    NIS Appendix E Menlough Viaduct Construction
    NIS Appendix F Lackagh Tunnel Geo and Hydro Appraisal
    NIS Appendix G Lough Corrib cSAC Habitat Surveys
    NIS Appendix H Breeding Bird Survey Results
    NIS Appendix I Winter Bird Survey Results
    NIS Appendix J Fisheries Survey
    NIS Appendix K Aquatic habitat survey results
    NIS Appendix L Air Quality Assessment Report
    NIS Appendix M Shading Analysis Report
    NIS Appendix N Sample Site Specific Conservation Objectives for Lough Corrib SPA
    NIS Appendix O Plan Level Environmental Protection Policies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

If this ringroad gets the go ahead? Does it have any impact on the current N84/Curraghline? I heard a rumour that this road would then be built into a dual carriage way. Sounds too good to be true.

That road however badly needs an upgrade for the amount of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

They seem to have catered for bats, birds, snails, amphibians, reptiles, flooding, visuals, trees, plants, Hydrogeology etc, etc, etc.
    Also known as deploying your anti-Sweetnam device!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

An absolute fcukin jokeshop of a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Going a bit off topic, the cutting in at the top of the headford junction is getting worse and more dangerous, cars and vans making dashes in to little spaces to avoid the slow moving line which begins at circle k in Newcastle...

Maybe it's because we have a Psv licence ... Clue in the name
    PUBLIC SERVICE VECIHCLE ...
    Has the penny dropped with you yet Dacor ?

You are misunderstanding the purpose of that licence, allow me to clarify. It's the taxi sign that let's you drive in that lane, not the licence and only while in the course of collecting or transporting someone i.e. If you took the taxi signage off the car you wouldn't be allowed to drive in that lane. Open to correction on that but the law seems pretty clear

The issue at hand is the prioritisation of the most efficient mode of transport in terms of throughput. Taxis are in the same league as regular cars with regards to the inefficient use of road space and do not deserve any special treatment as a result of that inefficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That Bodkin junction is still dangerous despite the removal of the roundabout.
    Look around next time and note the damage to the steel railings by vehicles.

Not much can be done to stop motorists cutting in, except not to let them cut in

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

You are misunderstanding the purpose of that licence, allow me to clarify. It's the taxi sign that let's you drive in that lane, not the licence and only while in the course of collecting or transporting someone i.e. If you took the taxi signage off the car you wouldn't be allowed to drive in that lane. Open to correction on that but the law seems pretty clear

The issue at hand is the prioritisation of the most efficient mode of transport in terms of throughput. Taxis are in the same league as regular cars with regards to the inefficient use of road space and do not deserve any special treatment as a result of that inefficiency

Your the one that's misunderstanding ....
    By the law ... That's how I operate ....I'm entitled to use the bus lanes .
    If I wasn't the fares would be far far more expensive .
    You obviously aren't a regular user of taxis.
    But a lot of people are .
    Anyway this is pointless ... Because we are always going to be allowed use bus lanes because we provide whether you like it or not a public service .

• Advertisement

Your the one that's misunderstanding ....
    By the law ... That's how I operate ....I'm entitled to use the bus lanes .
    If I wasn't the fares would be far far more expensive .
    You obviously aren't a regular user of taxis.
    But a lot of people are .
    Anyway this is pointless ... Because we are always going to be allowed use bus lanes because we provide whether you like it or not a public service .

Just because its allowed now doesn't mean it makes sense to allow it. The lanes, along with junctions, should be defaulted to bus priority. That means the bus lane gets the green light first, cyclists in Segregated lanes and taxis in with the rest of the inefficient cars.

Sorry, but your taxi is as efficient a use of road space as any other car on the road therefore should not be prioritised. In fact it should be penalised for being the least efficient mode of transport along with the rest of the cars.

High frequency bus routes with reliable timetables are the future of mass transit in Galway for the next 30 years. That can't be achieved without some sacrifices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement