Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

joe123 wrote: »
    If this ringroad gets the go ahead? Does it have any impact on the current N84/Curraghline? I heard a rumour that this road would then be built into a dual carriage way. Sounds too good to be true.

That road however badly needs an upgrade for the amount of traffic.

For such a straight road it's a ****ing horror to drive on at night, can't see a thing with the headlights of other cars coming at you not to mention the clowns with their fog lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Your the one that's misunderstanding ....
    By the law ... That's how I operate ....I'm entitled to use the bus lanes .

That is fine. You can hide behind the current definitions defined in law. it does not mean it will always be that way (or should be that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

cooperguy wrote: »
    That is fine. You can hide behind the current definitions defined in law. it does not mean it will always be that way (or should be that way)

The future regarding traffic management in galway city will be...
    Only buses AND TAXIS allowed use certain city center routes ....
    So not only will we allowed to use bus lanes ...
    We will also have our own roads 👍👍👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

We will also have our own roads ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

And bats and caterpillars.dont forget them.
    And the fcukin survey held in the g hotel with the solid gold teapot.fcukin laughable the whole lot.
    Let them take out the 40 sets of traffic lights and let the cars flow like it used to.
    And let them take John Richards off the traffic report while they are at it.
    He’s as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No you will be forced to obey our new traffic dictators. Eventually your passengers will be made to pay €10 per minute to be in pedal taxi in the pouring rain.

Meanwhile you will sit in solid traffic with a vast, empty bus lane next to you.

This will be the new law from our cycling overlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Discodog wrote: »
    This will be the new law from our "non single use" greater public
    Corrected that for ya.
    Nice try in pretending to be the victim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

No you will be forced to obey our new traffic dictators. Eventually your passengers will be made to pay €10 per minute to be in pedal taxi in the pouring rain.

Meanwhile you will sit in solid traffic with a vast, empty bus lane next to you.

This will be the new law from our cycling overlords.
    You OK??

Initially taxis were excluded from the bus lanes by design. It was only a compromise to allow them in. That worked fine until they became part of the problem.

It's time to review the situation and reverse that compromise.

- Bus lanes for buses
    - Segregated cycle lanes for cyclists
    - Footpaths for pedestrians
    - everything else can be lumped together as they are simply the least efficient

High frequency bus routes with reliable timetables are the future of mass transit in Galway for the next 30 years. That can't be achieved without some sacrifices.

It's easy for people unaffected by the "sacrifices" to call for them. They are unacceptable sacrifices for the vast vast majority of people. Without the ring road any attempt at curtailing car movements in town will be met with massive resistance and just will not be allowed to happen and I am 100% behind this.

Many of the suggestions here would be an absolute and utter disaster, such as reducing the QB to a single lane for cars each way. It would make things massively worse doing something like that I can't even believe its being seriously suggested and shows that the anti-car brigade really don't understand anything about traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Initially taxis were excluded from the bus lanes by design. It was only a compromise to allow them in. That worked fine until they became part of the problem.

It's time to review the situation and reverse that compromise.

- Bus lanes for buses
    - Segregated cycle lanes for cyclists
    - Footpaths for pedestrians
    - everything else can be lumped together as they are simply the least efficient

How are taxis in Galway in bus lanes a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

For some people it can be a long walk from their house to a bus stop ... So in an ideal galway you would have car parks and buses running from those parks .
    One on east side and one on west side of galway .
    People will get out of their cars if you could get from knocknacarra to Boston sientific / parkmore in 20 mins by bus at a low cost .

for some people a 200m to 500/600m walk is too far, raining or not, also people can get from Dunnes Knocknacarra to Parkmore in 35/40 mins for €1.70 with a leap card

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    "completion date 2027"

Why does everything take forever in this country! The public transport system could be transformed in a week if the will was there!

because we are not beating down doors demanding it, if we were it would already be completed

Sure you could.

Provided no one got on or off along the way.

Catch a bus sometime, and you'll realise that most of the delay is due to stopping for passengers.

this and the fact that people waiting at the bus stop some how get caught off guard when they have to board the bus and pay, why do so many only start fidgeting for change while they're holding other passengers up?

I think bus lanes need to be fully restricted to buses only. Bikes get a separate, properly Segregated lane and taxis join the rest of the cars.

No reason why taxis should be in those lanes

whatever about bikes needing their own lanes, taxis are not blocking the progressof buses, why would we force taxis into the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

pure.conya wrote: »
    this and the fact that people waiting at the bus stop some how get caught off guard when they have to board the bus and pay, why do so many only start fidgeting for change while they're holding other passengers up?

:):):)

They should get Aldi to run the buses. Everyone has to be ready, with the correct change, or the next person gets to walk over you and straight on to the bus :D

Wombatman wrote: »
    How is the cycling going for everyone this week?

Too wet and windy for me. Took the train from Oran the last few days. Glad I have that option as I work in the City centre.

its on and off really, cycled in and out of town a couple of times but yesterday was a definite no no, looking forward to a cycle again today :)

You are misunderstanding the purpose of that licence, allow me to clarify. It's the taxi sign that let's you drive in that lane, not the licence and only while in the course of collecting or transporting someone i.e. If you took the taxi signage off the car you wouldn't be allowed to drive in that lane. Open to correction on that but the law seems pretty clear

The issue at hand is the prioritisation of the most efficient mode of transport in terms of throughput. Taxis are in the same league as regular cars with regards to the inefficient use of road space and do not deserve any special treatment as a result of that inefficiency

some people don't drive, sometimes the bus doesn't suit and they need to book a taxi, sometimes up to 8 people travel in taxis, why would we force taxis into traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

Its not a claim, this is actually part of the Galway Transportation strategy.
    They project by 2037, Cycling will decrease from 6% to 2.8% modal share after the Ring Road is built.
    They are calculating in "induced demand" of the Ring Road itself.

@what_traffic - do you have a source for these figures? I'm very interested in them

xckjoo wrote: »
    You OK??

Fine. It won't affect me as I charge my clients for travelling time.

@what_traffic - do you have a source for these figures? I'm very interested in them

Would be an interesting read as it goes against any logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think the logic behind the figures is both that car traffic will increase because of bypass, and also that some people cycling to work may opt to drive instead if the bypass really does improve journey times significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

It's easy for people unaffected by the "sacrifices" to call for them. They are unacceptable sacrifices for the vast vast majority of people. Without the ring road any attempt at curtailing car movements in town will be met with massive resistance and just will not be allowed to happen and I am 100% behind this.

Ya, without the ring road the plans for the centre would be madness. Ironically, when a council traffic plan displays a bit of vision and joined up thinking people go mad at individual elements of the plan saying "the ring road does nothing for public transport".

No wonder its so hard to progress any plan in any way complicated in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

For such a straight road it's a ****ing horror to drive on at night, can't see a thing with the headlights of other cars coming at you not to mention the clowns with their fog lights on.

Agree. Plus its a narrow road, any slow car/tractor can be very tricky over take. Whenever there is a car collision however minor, it backs traffic up as its impossible get past until sorted. Would love to know the average number of cars that road takes on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's the Councils own projections so take it up with them. I think what_traffic has posted the direct link before but you can find it on their website if not.

Ya, without the ring road the plans for the centre would be madness. Ironically, when a council traffic plan displays a bit of vision and joined up thinking people go mad at individual elements of the plan saying "the ring road does nothing for public transport".

No wonder its so hard to progress any plan in any way complicated in this country.
    It's not vision or joined up thinking though. It's 1970's thinking. Stuff that has been a proven failure throughout the world and is going to fail based on the councils own accepted predictions. Even major car-based cities like LA are rethinking this kind of strategy as it's a proven failure (despite all the roads they have traffic congestion is still awful). But here we are looking backwards once again. Continuing to focus on moving people around with private car ownership will not and cannot work. Usage will just expand to fill the new road capacity. It's not rocket science, but I guess it's also not intuitively obvious at first glance. But these are professionals who should be up-to-date on this kind of thing and visionary enough to learn from past mistakes.

Many of the suggestions here would be an absolute and utter disaster, such as reducing the QB to a single lane for cars each way. It would make things massively worse doing something like that I can't even believe its being seriously suggested and shows that the anti-car brigade really don't understand anything about traffic.

I made those suggestions as a car driver. The status quo is no longer feasible

?Cee?view wrote: »
    How are taxis in Galway in bus lanes a problem?

They are as efficient a use of road space as other cars so should be treated as such

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The proposal is hugely comprehensive and has a very strong chance of planning but it does not involve a public transport solution alongside the road application which may be its undoing

It may well fall without a direct and actionable strategy document eg Detailed bus corridors/routes plans, etc given the Transport Strategy and climate plan implications ie the other aspects of it are still just visions and there is no action plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

They are as efficient a use of road space as other cars so should be treated as such

There aren't as many though. The volume just isn't there to make the efficiency a problem.

Think of an average bus full of passengers. If one person wants to get on with an awkward/large object, it's fine. Think parent with a pram, an elderly person with a trolley bag, backpacker with a large bag or a person with a box from Ikea. That's not an issue, or at least not one that can't be dealt with. Now if the bus pulled up to a stop and there were 40 German medically astounding new parents in their 80's looking to do some re-decorating, it would be something that might need to be dealt with on a policy level.

At the moment we're in the first scenario. the number of taxis is limited by the number of licenses & by economic demand. As such they just don't have the critical mass to clog up the bus lane network. Improving the network will only lessen that impact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you're living in Knocknacarra, working in Parkmore, and your commute becomes worse by lane removal, you'll be pretty fed up. If you're spending hours sitting in traffic while watching bus after bus whizz past in their dedicated lane, it won't take long for the penny to drop.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you're living in Knocknacarra, working in Parkmore, and your commute becomes worse by lane removal, you'll be pretty fed up. If you're spending hours sitting in traffic while watching bus after bus whizz past in their dedicated lane, it won't take long for the penny to drop.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

so you buy a taxi....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement