Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

It's hard to pay much heed to all the talk of bus lanes, ring roads and facilitating cyclists when you see what was happening today on Lough Atalia. I understand that roadworks are obviously necessary and sometimes emergency maintenance needs to be carried out. I can't understand why the sequence of the lights can't be altered slightly to help the flow of traffic in those situations. That sort of thing should be low hanging fruit surely? Over half an hour to get from the bus station to the lights at Wellpark and when I reached them there didn't appear to any more than 10-15 cars on the other entrances to the junction. That's just stupid as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

joe123 wrote: »
    If this ringroad gets the go ahead? Does it have any impact on the current N84/Curraghline? I heard a rumour that this road would then be built into a dual carriage way. Sounds too good to be true.

That road however badly needs an upgrade for the amount of traffic.

Whatever about the ring road getting built, it is an absolute farce that the N84 Curragh line has been left the way it is. Quiet typical of Galway & the process of getting anything done. One of the main routes in & out of the city carrying so much traffic, a staged upgrade/widening of this road should have been carried out years ago. If we can build a cinema & Currys/Aldi/etc on bogland, why can't we widen a simple road on this wasteland.

The fact that the huge volume of traffic in Parkmore cannot access this route that easily is such a waste. Traffic should be able to flow onto this road without having to go through Claregalway, go back on your journey into town or down tiny rat runs not suitable for the traffic using them currently. The junction at McHughs pub near Corinthians is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

@what_traffic - do you have a source for these figures? I'm very interested in them

Galway Transportation Strategy 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

grbear wrote: »
    It's hard to pay much heed to all the talk of bus lanes, ring roads and facilitating cyclists when you see what was happening today on Lough Atalia. I understand that roadworks are obviously necessary and sometimes emergency maintenance needs to be carried out. I can't understand why the sequence of the lights can't be altered slightly to help the flow of traffic in those situations. That sort of thing should be low hanging fruit surely? Over half an hour to get from the bus station to the lights at Wellpark and when I reached them there didn't appear to any more than 10-15 cars on the other entrances to the junction. That's just stupid as far as I can tell.

The Council have provided an update on the roadworks going on a round the city at the moment.
    The N6 works at Ballybrit are due to "Unforseen" issues with the road surface"
    Works on the Tuam road are part of a Water Works project which the Council say they have nothing to do with them. They just happen to be planned the same time as the Galway Novena.......

If this ring road ever gets built, I'll be giving it a while before I use it as I wouldn't trust Galway council to get anything right...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Only in galway city center would city hall allow roadworks when ....
    (1) midterm school break is over on
    (2) novena on in the cathedral...
    By all means do roadworks on in the morning when schools are off but finish them at 2pm .
    City center roadworks that are / have a huge effect on traffic ,should be treated differently from roadworks that don't have a major effect on traffic .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

30mins + from University Road to Eyre Square at the moment, wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    30mins + from University Road to Eyre Square at the moment, wonderful.

Town is busy today, one of the busiest days since Xmas. Looks like everyone used their four wheels to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Only in galway city center would city hall allow roadworks when ....
    (1) midterm school break is over on
    (2) novena on in the cathedral...
    By all means do roadworks on in the morning when schools are off but finish them at 2pm .
    City center roadworks that are / have a huge effect on traffic ,should be treated differently from roadworks that don't have a major effect on traffic .
    With the severity of recent weather events it's understandable that issues have arisen which need to be addressed urgently. I just don't think they've been handled well in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I left work at 15:30 and the whole tuam road was wedged from the trappers. I turned around.

Do people think they’ll go ahead and build the ring road? I heard this week that both Boston scientific & nuig have withdrawn their objections to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Town is busy today, one of the busiest days since Xmas. Looks like everyone used their four wheels to get in.

I heard there was a burst water main near the G.

The bus is currently travelling swiftly thru Doughiska.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    If you're living in Knocknacarra, working in Parkmore, and your commute becomes worse by lane removal, you'll be pretty fed up. If you're spending hours sitting in traffic while watching bus after bus whizz past in their dedicated lane, it won't take long for the penny to drop.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

The bus simply won’t suit the needs of enough people for various different reasons so you will still have all the traffic and busses suiting some but no where near enough people.

It would massively reduce the throughout of people putting a bus lane in, massively.

I’ve no problem whatsoever with a bus lane and of course busses that get people quickly across town would be great and suit some people some of the time. But you can’t do it to the detriment of the majority of cars.

If the ring road was built then the bus lane on the QB could be considered as a very good idea as there would be a very viable alternate route for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's the Councils own projections so take it up with them. I think what_traffic has posted the direct link before but you can find it on their website if not.

It's not vision or joined up thinking though. It's 1970's thinking. Stuff that has been a proven failure throughout the world and is going to fail based on the councils own accepted predictions. Even major car-based cities like LA are rethinking this kind of strategy as it's a proven failure (despite all the roads they have traffic congestion is still awful). But here we are looking backwards once again. Continuing to focus on moving people around with private car ownership will not and cannot work. Usage will just expand to fill the new road capacity. It's not rocket science, but I guess it's also not intuitively obvious at first glance. But these are professionals who should be up-to-date on this kind of thing and visionary enough to learn from past mistakes.

Which is why that is not the proposal... They aren't just adding lanes and roads for the sake of it (like LA). They are shutting down one of the main roads through the city centre and dedicating it to public transport (for example). You cant do that with the number of river crossings we have.

You can only call it an LA style solution if you look at the new road in isolation, which was the exact thing I was complaining about.

cooperguy wrote: »
    Which is why that is not the proposal... They aren't just adding lanes and roads for the sake of it

Seems to me you still have not read City and County Councils reports on this stuff to be honest. There targets for 2039 is LA style figures for public transport and cycling. Walking not so much, but that's cos we are only a town.

Seems to me you still have not read City and County Councils reports on this stuff to be honest. There targets for 2039 is LA style figures for public transport and cycling. Walking not so much, but that's cos we are only a town.

Goto
    ABP website and search for
    "N6 Galway City Ring Road
    Design Report"
    Page 91/92 has the stats

Table 2.32: Mode Share Percentages
    Option % Car % PT % Walk % Cycle
    2012 Base Year 66.7% 3.9% 26.3% 3.1%
    2024 Do-Minimum 67.4% 4.2% 25.4% 3.0%
    2024 Do-Something 68.4% 4.0% 24.9% 2.7%
    2039 Do-Minimum 67.4% 4.3% 25.2% 3.1%
    2039 Do-Something 68.6% 4.1% 24.5% 2.8%
    2039 GTS 67.3% 5.0% 24.9% 2.8%

GTS = Galway Transportation Strategy

It would massively reduce the throughout of people putting a bus lane in, massively.

You are stating the exact opposite of the facts

503395.jpg

503396.png

Consider the likes of the 409 (carries more than one million passengers a year) which had its frequency of increased to every 10 mins from 7am to 7pm and which BE have already stated they want to increase the frequency on to a much higher level with the only barrier being the lack of further bus lane expansion

You are stating the exact opposite of the facts

503395.jpg

[IMG]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=503396&stc=1&d=1582234274 Consider the likes of the 409 (carries more than one million passengers a year) which had its frequency of increased to every 10 mins from 7am to 7pm and which BE have already stated they want to increase the frequency on to a much higher level with the only barrier being the lack of further bus lane expansion[/img]

There should be a rule against posting them ridiculous images over and over.

What good is the bus if it doesn’t suit enough people’s needs? A large number of people do not simply go from a to b. They go to x y and z too, no form of transport (aside from a helicopter) is as efficient as a car for doing the types of journeys large numbers of people do.

Put in a bus lane on the QB for example and a small percentage moveimh to the bus will make no real difference to the absolute chaos that it will be in the car lanes as the same traffic that’s that’s trying to manage on two lanes now has to use one.

You will make a lot of peoples lives absolute torture if you try to force something on them that just won’t work. It’s a total waste of time even discussing bus lanes etc until we have the ring road to help get cars around the city without having to go through town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The car traffic was ridiculous today
    I'd say bus schedules went out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Goto
    ABP website and search for
    "N6 Galway City Ring Road
    Design Report"
    Page 91/92 has the stats

Table 2.32: Mode Share Percentages
    Option % Car % PT % Walk % Cycle
    2012 Base Year 66.7% 3.9% 26.3% 3.1%
    2024 Do-Minimum 67.4% 4.2% 25.4% 3.0%
    2024 Do-Something 68.4% 4.0% 24.9% 2.7%
    2039 Do-Minimum 67.4% 4.3% 25.2% 3.1%
    2039 Do-Something 68.6% 4.1% 24.5% 2.8%
    2039 GTS 67.3% 5.0% 24.9% 2.8%

GTS = Galway Transportation Strategy
    Wonder what the population growth predictions are for the same period. That 67.3% might be a lot of cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Parkmore to Knocnacarra was 1hr 15mins in the car this evening. Turned the car off a couple of times, no movement. Bus lanes and public transport options are badly needed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I heard there was a burst water main near the G.
    A clear coincidence that a road planning hearing was taking place right there, of course ;)
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/burst-water-pipes-on-the-dublin-road-disrupting-city-traffic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Burst water main off the road near the wall and they closed off traffic lanes when there was no need to, they are working there today and no lane closed bet someone got a a few words in their ear because they caused absolute chaos yesterday, this City is the pits for traffic thanks to our genius engineers in City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

i cycled in from roscam in 20 mins and cycled home in 20 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The city will be like one massive car park later .
    Novena / midterm / terrible weather ....
    Stay away if at all possible ...
    But the sheep will all decide to go into town because the weather is so bad and my kids are bored at home .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What good is the bus if it doesn’t suit enough people’s needs? A large number of people do not simply go from a to b. They go to x y and z too, no form of transport (aside from a helicopter) is as efficient as a car for doing the types of journeys large numbers of people do.

Put in a bus lane on the QB for example and a small percentage moveimh to the bus will make no real difference to the absolute chaos that it will be in the car lanes as the same traffic that’s that’s trying to manage on two lanes now has to use one.

You will make a lot of peoples lives absolute torture if you try to force something on them that just won’t work. It’s a total waste of time even discussing bus lanes etc until we have the ring road to help get cars around the city without having to go through town.

Many people find it easy enough to walk for 5-15 minutes to or from a bus stop. To be honest, I think it's the deck shoes that are holding you back. Try some Goretex walking shoes and you might actually enjoy the experience, get some exercise, maybe even meet some people.

Many people find it easy enough to walk for 5-15 minutes to or from a bus stop. To be honest, I think it's the deck shoes that are holding you back. Try some Goretex walking shoes and you might actually enjoy the experience, get some exercise, maybe even meet some people.

Ha ha as if I’m going to be told what shoes I wear. Very hard to get a nice looking pair of water proof shoes and I won’t wear any old shoe.

Not sure why you are suggesting busses to me, there is no bus anywhere near my home and driving is and will only ever be my only option from the county side to work in the city.

Regardless I would see a 15 min walk to a bus as unacceptable as would the majority of people. To put it in context it only takes me 30 mins door to door to drive from 25km out the county to work and often a little less to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

And you will seriously affect residents & businesses to the West of Galway. The opponents of the ring road want us to be able to work locally but expect every business, delivery vehicle etc to go through the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Methinks the road has failed a long, long time ago!!

https://twitter.com/galwaycityco/status/1230825566535811073?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Moneen road collapsed.fcukin carnage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Moneen road collapsed.fcukin carnage

Whoa!. Where exactly does anyone know?. That's going to be a complete mess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Whoa!. Where exactly does anyone know?. That's going to be a complete mess..

Road closed from huntsman up to ballybane up the hill by moneen school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement