Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You will make a lot of peoples lives absolute torture if you try to force something on them that just won’t work. It’s a total waste of time even discussing bus lanes etc until we have the ring road to help get cars around the city without having to go through town.
    This line sums up the ring road nicely. Continuing to force a system down peoples throats that already makes the majority of peoples lives absolute torture. Lots of people would happily give up the need for a second car and take the bus or some other option if it was available.

FWIW, I got the bus home from work yesterday. Got stuck on College Road but walked the rest of the way and can guarantee I was home in a fraction of the time it took others to make the same journey by car. I just felt sorry for the older people on the bus who had to sit and wait.

Passed about 6 double decker city buses on the walk to Eyre Square. That's potentially 420 people (Google tells me about 70 people fit on a double decker) or 420 cars if they were all driving instead. How anyone can continue to claim driving is more efficient than public transport for anything other than selfish reasons is beyond me. Most people just go home<->work on the daily commute. Fringe cases of people that aren't organised enough to not make 20 stops on the way shouldn't be blocking the rest of us from not sitting in traffic for half our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Seems to me you still have not read City and County Councils reports on this stuff to be honest. There targets for 2039 is LA style figures for public transport and cycling. Walking not so much, but that's cos we are only a town.

Seems like you haven't done much reading yourself. LA has an 85% private car modal share. Galway is targeting 45%.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Just an update ...
    Novena on
    Midterm on
    Terrible weather And now
    Collapsed road !!!!!
    TAKE NOTE SHEEP
    GALWAY CITY IS A NO GO AREA !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

87365172_2841427599246797_226994944353501184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=HWHIG8-PEOgAX-S2c64&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=04693b377e984cce855dca529ed193ce&oe=5EF2DFDA

Avoid Wellpark Road/Moneenageisha junction as part of the Wellpark Road outbound has collapsed. Down to one lane at the moment and traffic management is being put in place. Traffic is already extremely heavy around Galway. Photo: Galway City Council

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

When yourman is finished repairing the road he is going to have to give his mate WHOSE HOLDING UP THE BROKEN WALL A HAND !!!

• Advertisement

When yourman is finished repairing the road he is going to have to give his mate WHOSE HOLDING UP THE BROKEN WALL A HAND !!!
    Looks like he is using a consaw, probably better to give him some room to do his job safely.

Looks like he is using a consaw, probably better to give him some room to do his job safely.
    Don't you know that more is always better.....

Anyway, road is back open again according to GCC twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Wonder what the population growth predictions are for the same period. That 67.3% might be a lot of cars

I presume the 120,000 figure aimed at for in the "Ireland 2040" plan; its the rurban growth which could be the most problematic
    Essentially it means we are threading water with the ring road.
    Daft stuff really. So if road gets built by 2030, will be back to square one again within a generation I reckon.

cooperguy wrote: »
    Seems like you haven't done much reading yourself. LA has an 85% private car modal share. Galway is targeting45%.

Link or chapter ref?
    2039 GTS 67.3% for Car (with Ring Road)
    67.3% is closer to 85% than 45%

this is ABP Website: N6 Galway City Ring Road Design Report (14th Feb 2019)
    http://www.pleanala.ie/publicaccess/ABP-302848-18%20-%20FI%20Response/ABP-302848-18%20-%20Volume%204%20-%20RFI%20Documentation/Volume%201%20-%20Report/ABP-302848-18%20-%20RFI%20Design%20Report%20-%20Volume%201%20-%20Main%20Report.pdf

see page 91/92

Link or chapter ref?
    2039 GTS 67.3% for Car (with Ring Road)
    67.3% is closer to 85% than 45%

this is ABP Website: N6 Galway City Ring Road Design Report (14th Feb 2019)
    http://www.pleanala.ie/publicaccess/ABP-302848-18%20-%20FI%20Response/ABP-302848-18%20-%20Volume%204%20-%20RFI%20Documentation/Volume%201%20-%20Report/ABP-302848-18%20-%20RFI%20Design%20Report%20-%20Volume%201%20-%20Main%20Report.pdf

see page 91/92

The overall Galway Transport strategy website - Main technical report, page 25. Commuting drops to 45% car journeys, sustainable transport: 55%

• Advertisement

The overall Galway Transport strategy website - Main technical report, page 25. Commuting drops to 45% car journeys, sustainable transport: 55%

Ya but look at the dates on the documents....

Ya but look at the dates on the documents....

Its referencing the doc I linked to (unless they have updated the strategy and haven't put it on the council transport strategy website?)

and that 55% is for 2020 :D
    but that was expectation on the 01-09-2016

Its referencing the doc I linked to (unless they have updated the strategy and haven't put it on the council transport strategy website?)

No in fairness your figures are right for that time - but the modeling used in the 2019 doc on the ABP site has been altered from the GTS 2016 report.

No in fairness your figures are right for that time - but the modeling used in the 2019 doc on the ABP site has been altered from the GTS 2016 report.

Now the mad thing - lets see what figures are produced at the Oral Hearing. Would not be surprised if they are changed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

It's been a long time since I saw the traffic as bad as it is this evening. Traffic everywhere.

So who did that altering and is it more valid than the officially commissioned report that I assume we spent a lot of money on? Either way, as far as I can see the GTS site has the current targets for when they can implement the public transport section of the plan. Which is dependent on a new river crossing so that they can dedicate the central roads to public transport.

Its the governing document for the transport plan for Galway. For which the ring road is only one part.

So who did that altering and is it more valid than the officially commissioned report that I assume we spent a lot of money on?
    Nice try - but this is ALL official commissioned stuff.
    Ya you would be right - loads of money has been spent all this stuff. Millions

More Valid to look at the modeling in 2019 rather than a statement in 2016 that said by 2020 would be 55% (Public Transport, Walking and Cycling) v 45% Car

It is essentially the same people, same orgs. Person responsible for Data Modeling the 2019 is presenting at Oral Hearing who is also listed in the 2016 appendix documents.
    As said already -lets see what figures are produced at the Oral Hearing. Would not be surprised if they are changed again.

Nice try - but this is ALL official commissioned stuff.
    Ya you would be right - loads of money has been spent all this stuff. Millions

More Valid to look at the modeling in 2019 rather than a statement in 2016 that said by 2020 would be 55% (Public Transport, Walking and Cycling) v 45% Car

It is essentially the same people, same orgs. Person responsible for Data Modeling the 2019 is presenting at Oral Hearing who is also listed in the 2016 appendix documents.
    As said already -lets see what figures are produced at the Oral Hearing. Would not be surprised if they are changed again.

Im not "trying" anything. There is an official plan which is being executed. The road is one part of that. Nice try yourself, referencing documents of a sub project to the GTS instead of the GTS itself.

The least valid criticism is that it hasnt been delivered on time. Unfortunately that's the way these things go. The Luas, the children's hospital etc. etc. These things do not meet their original timeline.

Nice try yourself, referencing documents of a sub project to the GTS instead of the GTS itself.
    This is factually incorrect

• Advertisement

Im not "trying" anything. There is an official plan which is being executed. The road is one part of that. Nice try yourself, referencing documents of a sub project to the GTS instead of the GTS itself.

The idea that that Ring Road is a sub project of the overall GTS 2016 strategy is nonsense.
    The whole strategy was built on the premise of a built Ring Road.
    The 2019 report submitted to ABP takes precedence in my book.

The idea that that Ring Road is a sub project of the overall GTS 2016 strategy is nonsense.
    The whole strategy was built on the premise of a built Ring Road.
    The 2019 report submitted to ABP takes precedence in my book.

The whole strategy hinges on getting that extra river crossing so that they can change the use of the other roads. Nobody is arguing that. In your book the ring road report takes precedence despite the fact that the same report actively refers out to the GTS as the overall plan and how the road facilitates it...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

motley wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I saw the traffic as bad as it is this evening. Traffic everywhere.

Everywhere?

Parkmore Rd is pretty much empty

The bus got thru the Briarhill junction at the first chance of the lights.

Ballybane Rd is flowing freely.

A very slight queue on Monivea Rd going in to Ballybane Rd.

Those numbers are Targets while the numbers in the Ring Road Design Report is a Forecast. Targets which they've clearly failed to achieve :D

Those numbers are Targets while the numbers in the Ring Road Design Report is a Forecast. Targets which they've clearly failed to achieve :D

They are targets based on the activity planned. They missed the date, but thats hardly surprising...

They are targets based on the activity planned. They missed the date, but thats hardly surprising...

Targets are aspirational. Forecasts are the result of some research and modelling

Targets are aspirational. Forecasts are the result of some research and modelling

The whole plan is a result of research and modelling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Everywhere?

Parkmore Rd is pretty much empty

The bus got thru the Briarhill junction at the first chance of the lights.

Ballybane Rd is flowing freely.

A very slight queue on Monivea Rd going in to Ballybane Rd.

Today was one of the worst chaos for traffic that I have seen your nit picking, the problems were all roads in the City not the outskirts

Been working remotely this week so can’t comment on traffic, sounds like it’s bad this evening though.

• Advertisement

The whole plan is a result of research and modelling

The section you're referring to is discussing the National Policy and Guidelines and specifically the "Smarter Travel - A Sustainable Transport Future" policy document from 2009. It's got nothing to do with any local plans beyond national policy dictates (dictated?) that we should be seeking to achieve the 5 key goals and 6 targets it summarises on those pages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement