Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Galway was definitely included when Bus Connects was launched but I have only ever seen reports about Dublin.

I think they name checked all the other cities to keep everyone happy.
    No concrete plans for anywhere outside the Pale unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This is the eventual plan for Galway
    5 routes - all go through University Road, 4 through EyreSq
    3 park n rides
    s3BRLYi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

zell12 wrote: »
    3 park n rides

Where did you get the image from?

That's very uninspiring as a future plan - looks very similar to the current offering. Still nothing going over the Quincentenary Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Of course you can, dedicate 1 lane on the double lane roads to public transport, add additional routes and buses. For some single lane roads switch to one way systems and do the same.

I think you mean you can't improve it without inconveniencing the current private car centred solution that isn't scaling.

No, I mean you can't do it. What you are suggesting is ludicrous. You will be removing more car capacity than the bus route can add back in again and the city grinds to a halt.

There are too many people commuting from the countryside to the city that buses cant serve (as one example). And with all your additional bus lanes they will still just back up into the bottleknecks over the river without another bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That's very uninspiring as a future plan - looks very similar to the current offering. Still nothing going over the Quincentenary Bridge.
    There'll be a bus gate through GUH grounds, bus priority on University Rd, Eglinton St will be bus/pedestrian, etc
    Bus routes are already established and serve main population/service/employment centres , why'd you expect them to change much?

• Advertisement

They specifically rule that out, it doesn't serve a big enough portion of the population for a large enough part of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cooperguy wrote: »
    No, I mean you can't do it. What you are suggesting is ludicrous. You will be removing more car capacity than the bus route can add back in again and the city grinds to a halt.

Buses actually add capacity as evidenced at home and abroad. Why is Galway different?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Buses actually add capacity as evidenced at home and abroad. Why is Galway different?

Does this really have to be explained again?

Does this really have to be explained again?

Yeah gwan. Tell me how a bus lane will carry less people than an equivalent lane that cars can drive in.

Yeah gwan. Tell me how a bus lane will carry less people than an equivalent lane that cars can drive in.

Because very few people will use the bus so you will have the same level of car traffic trying to get though with much less road capacity = carnage.

• Advertisement

Because very few people will use the bus so you will have the same level of car traffic trying to get though with much less road capacity = carnage.

Are people's brains degrading in Galway's traffic or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

Except that has been proven not to be true in many places that have had the same traffic issues as Galway.
    I hate driving in Galway at any time of the day, any day of the week. The only reason I do it now is because the bus is usually stuck in the same traffic as me.
    If there was proper dedicated bus lanes with priority over other traffic, I would happily park in Oranmore and commute by bus into town. I would think a lot of others would also follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There are too many people commuting from the countryside to the city that buses cant serve (as one example). And with all your additional bus lanes they will still just back up into the bottleknecks over the river without another bridge.

A single double decker bus can hold about 70 people. How can a car possible compete with that kind of capacity? Think about how much space would be freed up by removing that number of cars from the road

People will use the bus if it gets them around quicker. Not everyone is as married to their car as you are

This has been done to death at this stage... In a high density area that is the case because people currently using cars can all just get on buses. The bus routes will not cover the wide area of suburbs and countryside that the car lanes currently do. so you will still have more than half the cars on the road (you need to remove a minimum of 50% of the cars if you get rid of a lane, I think everyone is agreed that traffic is on a knife edge and each lane is at capacity). There is only a couple of river crossings in the city, moving one to bus only (as is planned) wont work until another bridge is built, it would be a complete bottleneck. All of this would grind traffic to a halt

The bus routes will not cover the wide area of suburbs and countryside that the car lanes currently do. so you will still have more than half the cars on the road. This will grind traffic to a halt

Bus routes already cover wide areas and will cover even larger areas with park and ride (already successful in Oranmore). Galway is no different to any other city on this island or elsewhere - bus lanes will not grind traffic to a halt (it already is at a halt without bus lanes), in fact, they will transport more people in less time than the same space dedicated to cars would.

Park & Ride.

If you live in the countryside or smaller surrounding towns you have lots of advantages - cheaper property, bigger houses, large garden, room for a pony etc.

Just because you can drive to your local shop and pull up and park at the entrance doesn't automatically mean you should be able to drive up to your employment in the city centre and park at the door.

City living means living in expensive small properties surrounded by others. But the advantages to offset that should be an efficient public transport system that allows the city residents to move between home, work and community spaces (shops, parks, pubs etc.). City residents that live and work in the city shouldn't be getting into cars every day.

Galway is a growing city but it's being choked by its insistent pripritisation of cars.

Very good episode of Eco Eye this evening on "Gridlock". They focus most of the first half on Galway City.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/eco-eye/SI0000000494?epguid=AI000003356&seasonguid=121405480265

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Why does it say Lane closed 10AM-9PM up at the intersection on the Tuam Rd. if there is going to be lads out with bollards closing off the lane at 8AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    3 park n rides
    s3BRLYi.jpg

That red route will have to be modified - plans now for link road further east in Ballybrit Business Park after Boston Scientific objection at Oral Hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Link road from ballindooley to McHugh's pub on the Tuam road is closed due to flooding. The other option through Castlegar had roadworks and traffic lights on it yesterday. The council are absolutely clueless at this stage. At least clear one blockage before you create another..!

UsBus wrote: »
    Link road from ballindooley to McHugh's pub on the Tuam road is closed due to flooding. The other option through Castlegar had roadworks and traffic lights on it yesterday. The council are absolutely clueless at this stage. At least clear one blockage before you create another..!

Are you actually blaming the council for the rain now??? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Zing.

Are you actually blaming the council for the rain now??? FFS

In fairness it would have made sense to delay roadworks until the other route was clear rather than ploughing on regardless and leaving no route across for people on a very busy link route.

I would think the scheduling for these things is more complex than looking out the window to see if it's raining

xckjoo wrote: »
    I would think the scheduling for these things is more complex than looking out the window to see if it's raining

That’s hardly what is being suggested. Road blocked due to flooding, word sent up to stop works so road can be used.

Fairly simple.

It’s unacceptable to black a road when the diversion route is also blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That’s hardly what is being suggested. Road blocked due to flooding, word sent up to stop works so road can be used.

Fairly simple.

It’s unacceptable to black a road when the diversion route is also blocked.

Who pays the contractor for the extra days required?

In fairness it would have made sense to delay roadworks until the other route was clear rather than ploughing on regardless and leaving no route across for people on a very busy link route.
    The four lane N6 is the link road between the Headford and Tuam roads, not these country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

ratracer wrote: »
    Except that has been proven not to be true in many places that have had the same traffic issues as Galway.
    I hate driving in Galway at any time of the day, any day of the week. The only reason I do it now is because the bus is usually stuck in the same traffic as me.
    If there was proper dedicated bus lanes with priority over other traffic, I would happily park in Oranmore and commute by bus into town. I would think a lot of others would also follow suit.

so, your answer to the bus being stuck in traffic is to not take the bus and instead take your car out on the road which only makes the situation worse for everybody? Personally, if there are no significant advantages of taking my car out then i know I'd be happier for the bus driver getting me around

• Advertisement

Who pays the contractor for the extra days required?
    Exactly. And are they still going to be available in a few days when the flood water has subsided? Do they just sit around every day hoping the Council has some work for them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement