Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cr-07

Did anyone travel eastbound on Bothar na Treabh this morning around 8.30am? Traffic was at a halt all the way from the Kirwan roundabout to the Tuam road junction. Anyone know what the issue was?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

cr-07 wrote: »
    Did anyone travel eastbound on Bothar na Treabh this morning around 8.30am? Traffic was at a halt all the way from the Kirwan roundabout to the Tuam road junction. Anyone know what the issue was?
    Why does it say Lane closed 10AM-9PM up at the intersection on the Tuam Rd. if there is going to be lads out with bollards closing off the lane at 8AM?

Incorrect signage, and bad preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

pure.conya wrote: »
    so, your answer to the bus being stuck in traffic is to not take the bus and instead take your car out on the road which only makes the situation worse for everybody? Personally, if there are no significant advantages of taking my car out then i know I'd be happier for the bus driver getting me around

Pretty much, yes, if I’m going to be stuck in traffic, I might as well be comfortable in it.
    Although my main mode of getting around town would be in two wheels, either motorbike or bicycle.
    But, my point is that this is the catch 22 that the councils/ TII/ roads designers face. People won’t use public transport because it is unreliable due to being caught up in traffic created by said people. I don’t know how the authorities can encourage/ change mindsets of a population who have never had a reliable, efficient, cost effective public transport in this city. I don’t think a ring road is going to help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cr-07 wrote: »
    Incorrect signage, and bad preparation.

A co-worker told me that they passed by a broken down car that was blocking a lane also.

Who pays the contractor for the extra days required?

The council, their job is to keep roads open if extra cost is needed so be it.
    The four lane N6 is the link road between the Headford and Tuam roads, not these country roads.

This is not a practical route for people travelling in the headford road and would add a significant amount of time to their trip being unable to use the main link across at ballindooley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

This city is getting worse by the day .
    No planning or organisation of road works.
    Just passed up bothar na treabh.
    Left hand lane closed off before you come to traffic lights at Boston sientific.
    Just bollards out.
    No sign of any one working on it .
    No warning of lane closure until you pass traffic lights at Opel garage .
    THe management of road works in this city is beyond a joke .
    Who is responsible ??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

cooperguy wrote: »
    You need to remove a minimum of 50% of the cars if you get rid of a lane.

Firstly, converting a general traffic lane to public transport and cycling is not "getting rid" of anything. It's an increase in people-carrying capacity.

Secondly, please provide some valid evidence that reallocating space to buses and bikes etc requires removal of "a minimum of 50% of the cars" in order to have a congestion-easing effect.

If it's just your opinion or guesswork, then say so. On the other hand, if you can back it up, then do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ruhanna

Left hand lane closed off before you come to traffic lights at Boston sientific.
    Just bollards out.
    Who is responsible ??

Bord Planala, inadvertently.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/oral-hearing-on-city-ring-road-hears-from-affected-homes-living-under-uncertainty-for-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cr-07

Just bollards out.
    Who is responsible ??

This is what annoys me the most. Having cones out, blocking up a lane, not a worker in sight, seemingly no issue with the road surface at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The council, their job is to keep roads open if extra cost is needed so be it.
    So higher taxes then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ruhanna wrote: »
    Firstly, converting a general traffic lane to public transport and cycling is not "getting rid" of anything. It's an increase in people-carrying capacity.

Secondly, please provide some valid evidence that reallocating space to buses and bikes etc requires removal of "a minimum of 50% of the cars" in order to have a congestion-easing effect.

If it's just your opinion or guesswork, then say so. On the other hand, if you can back it up, then do so.

Where in Galway you could convert general traffic lane to public transport. I can only envisage it where the road also becomes a one way system.

So higher taxes then?

We already pay more than enough, tax cuts would be more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lower taxes with "fluid" costings for contractors & improved infrastructure.

Sin Fein have a lot to answer for.

Heard from someone working in Boston sientific that the workers received an email today from their head boss .
    Email states that Boston sientific sent a strongly worded letter to city hall stating how unhappy the company is with the traffic situation in galway .

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Heard from someone working in Boston sientific that the workers received an email today from their head boss .
    Email states that Boston sientific sent a strongly worded letter to city hall stating how unhappy the company is with the traffic situation in galway .

Can confirm, and a link on how to submit complaints (which we were encouraged to do).

Got another email that the lights sequencing at the bother na dtreabh junction had been altered to help with the issue.

Took close to an hour to drive from the car park to the junction lights on Monday I heard

cefh17 wrote: »
    Can confirm, and a link on how to submit complaints (which we were encouraged to do).

Got another email that the lights sequencing at the bother na dtreabh junction had been altered to help with the issue.

Took close to an hour to drive from the car park to the junction lights on Monday I heard

I've been saying for months on this forum that the traffic light sequence at lights at front of Boston sientific have been incorrect.
    The city engineers and their management are a disgrace !!!
    At 9.05 this morning traffic was backed up from roundabout at corrib great southern , all the way back to the roundabout at cementry cross , and even half way down sean mulvoy road .

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lower taxes with "fluid" costings for contractors & improved infrastructure.

Sin Fein have a lot to answer for.

I am totally anti-SF their tax policy is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I've been saying for months on this forum that the traffic light sequence at lights at front of Boston sientific have been incorrect.
    The city engineers and their management are a disgrace !!!
    At 9.05 this morning traffic was backed up from roundabout at corrib great southern , all the way back to the roundabout at cementry cross , and even half way down sean mulvoy road .

It's mad the either of those roundabouts exists so close to city centre.
    Roundabouts can't control the flow of traffic - traffic lights can.
    They should all have been dug up long ago.

timmyntc wrote: »
    It's mad the either of those roundabouts exists so close to city centre.
    Roundabouts can't control the flow of traffic - traffic lights can.
    They should all have been dug up long ago.

The opposite in fact, getting rid of roundabouts is the single worst thing that has happened to galway traffic in many years.

Roundabouts are far better and self regulate so the busy junction will get more priority unlike lights which often are terribly sequenced , stay on red too long for the busiest lanes etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"Roundabouts self-regulate"!!

I've heard it all now... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

roundabouts get jammed very quickly when the traffic hits a certain level. People don't obay the rules (Don't enter the roundabout if the exit you wish to take is blocked).

also they're particularly not friendly to anything apart from motorized traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Boston Scientific and other big employers are part of the "CAR Traffic" problem - why don't they start trying to come up with own custom solutions rather than waiting on City Hall.

Boston Scientific and other big employers are part of the "CAR Traffic" problem - why don't they start trying to come up with own custom solutions rather than waiting on City Hall.

Can you give us an idea of a few possible solutions that wouldn't involve City Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Wombatman wrote: »
    Can you give us an idea of a few possible solutions that wouldn't involve City Hall?

That'll be bicycles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Cover the cost of bus tickets? Would be a good incentive to use them if you can.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Cover the cost of bus tickets? Would be a good incentive to use them if you can.

The cost of bus tickets is not a big influence in people switching TBF. This would have very little impact but at least it's something.

Companies want be a city that is business friendly. Having to pay bus fares for employees would send out a terrible message.

The cost of bus tickets is not a big influence in people switching TBF. This would have very little impact but at least it's something.

Companies want be a city that is business friendly. Having to pay bus fares for employees would send out a terrible message.
    It's not that they'd have to pay, it's an incentive to use sustainable transport. It would help people that own a car make the choice to walk passed it in the morning and get the bus. There's a mental barrier to paying that €2.40/1.60 per trip on the bus vs just sitting into the car. Even if the car trip actually costs you more (petrol, wear & tear, etc.), it's more of a hidden cost.

It's not that they'd have to pay, it's an incentive to use sustainable transport. It would help people that own a car make the choice to walk passed it in the morning and get the bus. There's a mental barrier to paying that €2.40/1.60 per trip on the bus vs just sitting into the car. Even if the car trip actually costs you more (petrol, wear & tear, etc.), it's more of a hidden cost.

It's not a mental barrier if your area has a zero to awful bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We already have taxsaver tickets
    "a fantastic way to keep your employees happy, saving them money each month on their commute and freeing up Car Parking spaces!"
    €770.00 for an annual bus city ticket
    Taxpayers paying 20% save €255a, 40% €433pa, on regular bus prices

• Advertisement

It's not a mental barrier if your area has a zero to awful bus service.
    Ya that's an issue for a lot of people but not something that can be directly fixed by private companies. But there's still a decent chunk that could potentially use the bus but don't and increased emphasis on its usage would hopefully stir on bus infrastructure development. I believe the 409 route was overhauled due to pressure from HP+Boston Scientific.

zell12 wrote: »
    We already have taxsaver tickets
    " a fantastic way to keep your employees happy, saving them money each month on their commute and freeing up Car Parking spaces!"
    €770.00 for an annual bus city ticket
    Taxpayers paying 20% save €255a, 40% €433pa, on regular bus prices
    Yup. I hadn't realised they were already suggesting it be used as a bonus or salary addition though. I've never encountered it being pushed in any of the companies I've worked in. Was possibly available but I didn't know about it. It's not publicised as much as you'd think it should be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement