Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wombatman wrote: »
    Can you give us an idea of a few possible solutions that wouldn't involve City Hall?
    • Car Sharing Apps
    • Scheduled Bus Service from County Town Hubs.
    • Pay people to cycle and walk to work or offer Free Breakfasts/Lunches for those who use these modes.

Just stand at the junction of Boston Scientific entrance for 10 mins at "morning car rush hour" - could count on 1 hand number of cars with more than 2 people in it during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya that's an issue for a lot of people but not something that can be directly fixed by private companies. But there's still a decent chunk that could potentially use the bus but don't and increased emphasis on its usage would hopefully stir on bus infrastructure development. I believe the 409 route was overhauled due to pressure from HP+Boston Scientific.

Yup. I hadn't realised they were already suggesting it be used as a bonus or salary addition though. I've never encountered it being pushed in any of the companies I've worked in. Was possibly available but I didn't know about it. It's not publicised as much as you'd think it should be

I started taking the 405 towards HP/Boston in 2012. There has not been any change in timetable frequency since. Every day around 5.30 there are people waiting at the bus shelter (which as far as I know HP built as part of the new building effectively forcing BE to include there as a stop on the route) ordering taxis as the bus is not showing up.

There needs to be an increase in frequency along this route, or change in route in order for more people in the vicinity to use it. It's incredibly unreliable at work finishing times, when people would actually need to use it. HP, Boston, Supermacs, Schneider Electric, and other companies all close by. Boston are trying to expand, bringing in a larger workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can you give us an idea of a few possible solutions that wouldn't involve City Hall?

Charging for staff parking would be a great start, so that the costs of providing and managing parking is paid by those who use it, rather than by the entire organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

You'd imagine there's room for a number of park and ride systems. Off the top of my head a carpark in Oranmore (I'm thinking of that roundabout with the closed exit that leads to an empty field) that served Parkmore & Ballybritt on separate routes would do well.
    Maybe include a pick up in Roscam. I wouldn't add any more than that though or you end up with a slower journey.

I know these are included in the plans for the city but you'd imagine it could be done quicker by the companies themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Boston Scientific and other big employers are part of the "CAR Traffic" problem - why don't they start trying to come up with own custom solutions rather than waiting on City Hall.

They literally provide this town and county with thousands of jobs.
    It's governments role to provide traffic solutions, not industry's.
    And Boston provided land for an alternative link road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

• Car Sharing Apps
    • Scheduled Bus Service from County Town Hubs.
    • Pay people to cycle and walk to work or offer Free Breakfasts/Lunches for those who use these modes.

Just stand at the junction of Boston Scientific entrance for 10 mins at "morning car rush hour" - could count on 1 hand number of cars with more than 2 people in it during that period.

Count the same single occupancy cars at any junction, it's not specific to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    You'd imagine there's room for a number of park and ride systems. Off the top of my head a carpark in Oranmore (I'm thinking of that roundabout with the closed exit that leads to an empty field)
    IMO, this is an even more suitable site:

503979.png

Right beside the motorway (M6, J19), absolutely useless for agricultural use, was used for storing materials for the M6 when it was being built.

Could be a great Park and Ride, but only if there are Bus Lanes from there to Ballybrit & Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

serfboard wrote: »

503979.png

Right beside the motorway, absolutely useless for agricultural use, was used for storing materials for the M6 when it was being built.

Could be a great Park and Ride, but only if there are Bus Lanes from there to Ballybrit & Parkmore.

Where is that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

Where is that one?
    M6, J19.

Where is that one?
    Drive out the N6 from Galway, first exit turn left towards Claregalway, Carnmore Cross, it's immediately on your left as you join the old N18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

serfboard wrote: »

503979.png

Right beside the motorway (M6, J19), absolutely useless for agricultural use, was used for storing materials for the M6 when it was being built.

That is a good shout for one, it would be easy to put a bus lane in the the Monivea road, but this should then go into Parkmore and surely there is space to build a road from parkmore est into Ballybrit estate without having to come back onto the main road.

cefh17 wrote: »
    Count the same single occupancy cars at any junction, it's not specific to that one

True but they are ALL going to the same destination at scheduled times. It should be an open goal.

They literally provide this town and county with thousands of jobs.
    It's governments role to provide traffic solutions, not industry's.
    And Boston provided land for an alternative link road.

Yes its profit driven, make more profit - reduce costs etc.
    How much is all this free car parking that they are providing costing them?

ratracer wrote: »
    That is a good shout for one, it would be easy to put a bus lane in the the Monivea road, but this should then go into Parkmore and surely there is space to build a road from parkmore est into Ballybrit estate without having to come back onto the main road.

Just Looking at google maps there, if you went out through parkmore by celestica, you could run a small road along the back of the race track. There's already a road there that looks like it's part of their carpark. Then across the ends of some fields into the back of Ballybritt.

I'm sure you could negotiate a deal with the racetrack if you agreed to use electronic barriers so that only the busses could use the route.
    During the races, when half of parkmore/ballybritt shuts down anyway, punters could use the P&R to get to the track.

Charging for staff parking would be a great start, so that the costs of providing and managing parking is paid by those who use it, rather than by the entire organisation.
    The carrot method might also work! The true costs are interesting here.
    Other option is to pay people who are not using this land more than those that do use it.
    How much is it costing Boston for using all this land for car parking?
    How much are the IDA making from providing car parking in the Industrial Estates, how much are the multinationals paying for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Bricriu

There is a very good analysis piece in this fortnight's The Phoenix magazine (page 16) about Galway's traffic problems. Well worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True but they are ALL going to the same destination at scheduled times. It should be an open goal.

But they're not all coming from the same places.

And though scheduled, Boston have very staggered shift start times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bricriu wrote: »
    There is a very good analysis piece in this fortnight's The Phoenix magazine (page 16) about Galway's traffic problems. Well worth reading.
    Want to give us the gist of it?

I guess that's the benefit of a P&R system. You direct all of those inefficient vehicles (in terms of size vs number of people) to a location away from the major congestion points.

Yes but the employers know where all there employees live and the work schedules.
    So Origin/Destination is pretty much a known known.
    Built your network based on the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

This same principle is already in use in other areas with similar staggered start times. I used them before in London. Get off the tube and there's shuttle buses outside that go to the corporate offices. They run at reduced capacity all day and increase it for the busiest times. Fairly sure they were paid for by the company too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The cost of bus tickets is not a big influence in people switching TBF. This would have very little impact but at least it's something.

I'd switch to bus if the tickets are paid for... almost €10/day for a return trip from Knocknacarra to Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I'd switch to bus if the tickets are paid for... almost €10/day for a return trip from Knocknacarra to Parkmore.

Have you looked at the TaxSaver option? https://www.taxsaver.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Boston really going shell out an extra over €2k per year per employee after tax?

Boston really going shell out an extra over €2k per year per employee after tax?

Very unlikely - I never said they should!

sgthighway wrote: »
    Have you looked at the TaxSaver option? https://www.taxsaver.ie

I need to review the details of this. The problem is the route is across TWO bus companies so TWO annual tickets are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Anyone that suggests roundabouts are a better option regarding traffic flow in galway city hasn't a clue .
    A roundabout works brilliantly in 2 places .
    One is on paper , the other is in the likes of salthill , where there is only a certain flow of traffic going into same roundabouts .
    All the roundabouts in galway city need to be pulled out ASAP .
    At rush hours people lose the ability to use a roundabout correctly .
    Constantly blocking them up .
    A vast amount if drivers in galway haven't the ability to use roundabouts correctly , that's why they get blocked up .
    Only when all roundabouts are pulled out and replaced by a modern traffic light system will will see a DIFFERANCE in galway .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I need to review the details of this. The problem is the route is across TWO bus companies so TWO annual tickets are required.

I wonder is there any chance the companies could combine to over come this as I'm in the same boat, 10 return is ridiculous.

I can't understand why the 405 doesn't cover more of knocknacara and continue on to parkmore. Then increase frequency at peak times with a few going over the bridge, every second one maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

A vast amount if drivers in galway haven't the ability to use roundabouts correctly , that's why they get blocked up .
    Only when all roundabouts are pulled out and replaced by a modern traffic light system will will see a DIFFERANCE in galway .

Ah now, that's not the roundabouts fault :p

• Advertisement

Anyone that suggests roundabouts are a better option regarding traffic flow in galway city hasn't a clue .
    A roundabout works brilliantly in 2 places .
    One is on paper , the other is in the likes of salthill , where there is only a certain flow of traffic going into same roundabouts .
    All the roundabouts in galway city need to be pulled out ASAP .

You must be joking. Look how much worse traffic flow is now compared to when we had roundabouts at all junction. Lights are a disaster, anyone thinking otherwise is blind or lying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement