Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... anyone thinking otherwise is blind or lying.

Or a pedestrian or cyclist.

Removing the Morris roundabout added years to be life, and prompted a vast improvement to the bus-service to Ballybrit industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder is there any chance the companies could combine to over come this as I'm in the same boat, 10 return is ridiculous.

I can't understand why the 405 doesn't cover more of knocknacara and continue on to parkmore. Then increase frequency at peak times with a few going over the bridge, every second one maybe.

It's the NTA who should be sorting this out, introducing a city-wide cross-company monthly ticket.

They are also the ones who licensed the route - likely at BE's suggestion.

It sounds kinda crazy, but I have a theory that someone who's responsible for scheduling grew up in Mervue and doesn't like Ballybane. The 405 could easily be almost as popular as the 409. But it has lots and lots of cancellations, and so hasn't grown the way it should have given the popularity of where it goes. Whereas Mervue has two routes going right through the area.

Or a pedestrian or cyclist.

Removing the Morris roundabout added years to be life, and prompted a vast improvement to the bus-service to Ballybrit industrial estate.

Getting car traffic through junctions is priority, an odd bus or a few pedestrians are very low priority and should not be having much influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You must be joking. Look how much worse traffic flow is now compared to when we had roundabouts at all junction. Lights are a disaster, anyone thinking otherwise is blind or lying.
    Nothing what so ever to do with the ever increasing volume of cars on the road no?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Nothing what so ever to do with the ever increasing volume of cars on the road no?

Volumes were higher back in the boom and traffic flowed better.

• Advertisement

Volumes were higher back in the boom and traffic flowed better.

Actual data says otherwise with the new junctions having a higher throughput

If you do some research on roundabouts, you'll find that there are very limited circumstances when they work well. Once you approach capacity said RAB becomes utterly blocked as was seen for years in Galway. See below from the current Con Trib as an example

J4TYdfL.jpg

Don't take my word for it, educate yourself

Actual data says otherwise with the new junctions having a higher throughput

If you do some research on roundabouts, you'll find that there are very limited circumstances when they work well. Once you approach capacity said RAB becomes utterly blocked as was seen for years in Galway

Don't take my word for it, educate yourself

I’m driving the routes everyday, things worked much better with the roundabouts that it not even up for debate. I’ve yet to meet a person who disagrees with me either (in person).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I’m driving the routes everyday, things worked much better with the roundabouts that it not even up for debate. I’ve yet to meet a person who disagrees with me either (in person).

Remember when people used horse and cart, there were no traffic jams then, we need to bring back horses and carts to solve the traffic!!

nox traffic has grown a lot since the roundabouts have started to be removed. We'd be in a much worse scenario if we were still all roundabouts with the 2020 traffic.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Remember when people used horse and cart, there were no traffic jams then, we need to bring back horses and carts to solve the traffic!!

nox traffic has grown a lot since the roundabouts have started to be removed. We'd be in a much worse scenario if we were still all roundabouts with the 2020 traffic.

Traffic is only getting back to boom levels now, we had just as much traffic back then as now and even in the bust years with much less traffic the traffic lights managed to slow the city down.

You must be joking. Look how much worse traffic flow is now compared to when we had roundabouts at all junction. Lights are a disaster, anyone thinking otherwise is blind or lying.

Ugh nox I'm 95% sure your just trolling the Galway traffic threads and you're not really as dim as you present.

Ignoring the flawed logic in your comment... roundabouts in general are not meant for busy urban junctions. They work great for low throughput areas, especially where the traffic is spread over the day.

Having done a thesis on roundabout design, worked on roundabout design in Ireland, UK and Scandinavia... I can assure you that roundabouts are no longer suited to Galway City traffic, neither now or in the future if Galway continues to grow.

• Advertisement

Traffic is only getting back to boom levels now, we had just as much traffic back then as now and even in the bust years with much less traffic the traffic lights managed to slow the city down.

Give us the details of where you're getting these stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

cefh17 wrote: »
    Can confirm, and a link on how to submit complaints (which we were encouraged to do).

Got another email that the lights sequencing at the bother na dtreabh junction had been altered to help with the issue.

Took close to an hour to drive from the car park to the junction lights on Monday I heard

lights sequence at doughiska/Roscam Cross have been changed slightly too

I've been saying for months on this forum that the traffic light sequence at lights at front of Boston sientific have been incorrect.
    The city engineers and their management are a disgrace !!!
    At 9.05 this morning traffic was backed up from roundabout at corrib great southern , all the way back to the roundabout at cementry cross , and even half way down sean mulvoy road .

they've only had a smart traffic system in place since 2012,give them a bit of time to get their heads around it

https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/52811/lights-camera-action-city-hall-shows-off-its-new-high-tech-traffic-control-centre

I need to review the details of this. The problem is the route is across TWO bus companies so TWO annual tickets are required.

so it's not the tenner that's stopping you, it's the fact you'd have to walk (all the way) to gort na bro?

Anyone that suggests roundabouts are a better option regarding traffic flow in galway city hasn't a clue .
    A roundabout works brilliantly in 2 places .
    One is on paper , the other is in the likes of salthill , where there is only a certain flow of traffic going into same roundabouts .
    All the roundabouts in galway city need to be pulled out ASAP .
    At rush hours people lose the ability to use a roundabout correctly .
    Constantly blocking them up .
    A vast amount if drivers in galway haven't the ability to use roundabouts correctly , that's why they get blocked up .
    Only when all roundabouts are pulled out and replaced by a modern traffic light system will will see a DIFFERANCE in galway .

or can't even use lights correctly, yellow boxes either, blocking others that have the right to progress but can't because a$$hole drivers are getting away with ignoring the rules of the road and doing whatever they please all over the city for their own selfish reasons

pure.conya wrote: »
    so it's not the tenner that's stopping you, it's the fact you'd have to walk (all the way) to gort na bro?

What? Why do you say it's not the tenner? Gort na Bro is about a 40min/3km walk for me...

We should adopt this light sequence, too much time wasted with drivers getting ready to go after the lights go green. Quick cheap win.

traffic-lights-sequence.jpg

We should adopt this light sequence, too much time wasted with drivers getting ready to go after the lights go green. Quick cheap win.

Having driven quite a bit in the Uk, amber is treated as green so if you aren’t ready to go on amber you are blown out of it. Extending the green a little longer would have the same impact as having amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Simpsons did it first

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I wondered about this before too but I'd say we'll have the same problem just with different colours on the lights. I wonder is there any research to show which gives better throughput and responsiveness of drivers.

I also wonder if the prevalence of manual transmission cars contributes to the delay moving off at lights. Not familiar enough with automatic cars to know if they would help though.

TBH I think these are all minor in the grand scheme of traffic issues though. We need a major overhaul on the standard and attitude to driving to reduce these delays. Much simpler to get people onto other forms of transport

xckjoo wrote: »
    I wondered about this before too but I'd say we'll have the same problem just with different colours on the lights.

If the still go green at the same timing as they currently do, the red/amber will give the drivers a second or two to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Getting car traffic through junctions is priority, an odd bus or a few pedestrians are very low priority and should not be having much influence.

Presumably, you're speaking for the entire city when you set the priorities like this?

Presumably, you're speaking for the entire city when you set the priorities like this?

I'm talking about the main traffic junctions surrounding the city, pedestrians are minimal on these and should not be given any priority. City centre streets etc are different where pedestrians would be given more opportunities and places to cross, traffic should be moving slower for safety etc.

Its crazy at places like the Galway shopping centre lights where a single pedestrian crossing adds minutes to the the journey of large numbers of cars, even worse the pedestrian has usually crossed in a natural break in the traffic so there isn't anyone crossing (I see this almost every morning). Junctions like this should have alternative routes for pedestrians like overhead walkways or under passes that don't involve holding traffic lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm talking about the main traffic junctions surrounding the city, pedestrians are minimal on these and should not be given any priority. City centre streets etc are different where pedestrians would be given more opportunities and places to cross, traffic should be moving slower for safety etc.

To say they shouldn’t have priority is wrong, but there should be pedestrian overpasses at these busy junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭zell12

:eek:

ratracer wrote: »
    To say they shouldn’t have priority is wrong, but there should be pedestrian overpasses at these busy junctions.

I edited my post to say this before I saw yours.
    zell12 wrote: »
    :eek:

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Its crazy at places like the Galway shopping centre lights where a single pedestrian crossing adds minutes to the the journey of large numbers of cars, even worse the pedestrian has usually crossed in a natural break in the traffic so there isn't anyone crossing (I see this almost every morning). Junctions like this should have alternative routes for pedestrians like overhead walkways or under passes that don't involve holding traffic lanes.

Sorry but you seem to have no idea how lights work at this junction because the pedestrians are made wait on cars. I'm often at the top of the queue on a bike and see pedestrians waiting for a full cycle of the lights before they get a green man. You can't have 4 arms of a junction all on green at the same time so no need for a overhead walkover at this junction.

The correct way would be automatic green man everytime that arm of the junction permits but instead you have red for cars and pedestrian at the same time 😡.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Bus station road closed at lunchtime. Some poor workman fell off top of building site above bus station. Crane in place on road along with gardi and fire service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ugh nox I'm 95% sure your just trolling the Galway traffic threads and you're not really as dim as you present.

I like how you gave him the benefit of the doubt here. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement