Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Reasons such as? Other than the deck shoes, that is.

The long time it takes, wanting to carry things, weather, continuing to other destinations, young children or elderly, safety, comfort, injury, don’t like walking etc etc.
    xckjoo wrote: »
    The driving standards are too poor to allow people use their own judgment anymore. They'd just fly through the junction constantly no matter what traffic was coming against them or if people were trying to cross the road

Which is why pedestrians have no place on such a busy junction, they should have ways to cross that don’t put them in traffic lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Eco Eye programme noted that 25% of car journeys are less than 4k, a distance easily walked or cycled.

Stop telling lies.

First or all they were talking about Parkmore and not the City.

More importantly they said 25% of people travelling to that area do so from within 4k. This 25% may already be walking, busing or cycling.

4k might be easily walked and cycled by you. You clearly don't have the capacity to see things from the point of view of say an elderly or disabled person or a young child.

Constantly repeating the 'cycling is the solution' mantra is as logical is saying people should just use flying cars. It's not practical considering where we at at right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

How are you getting on with your 4km walk or cycle at the moment Andrew ?
    There's isn't even buses with bus eireann on in galway at the moment and you expect people to cycle / walk .
    If you are walking make sure you have weights on those deck shoes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There's isn't even buses with bus eireann on in galway at the moment and you expect people to cycle / walk .

What does a bus service or lack thereof have to do with cycling?

How are you getting on with your 4km walk or cycle at the moment Andrew ?
    If you are walking make sure you have weights on those deck shoes !!

Mediocre attempt at trolling, look to nox for guidance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Make sure lads ye have yer stabilisers on yer bikes in this weather !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

First thing I saw when I left the house to walk into town this morning was an aul lad on his bike. Some people seem to believe that none of those things are humanly possible

There was probably a few eejits swimming down in black rock today too, doesn’t make it a smart plan of action just because it can be done.

There was probably a few eejits swimming down in black rock today too, doesn’t make it a smart plan of action just because it can be done.

Like breaking speed limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Like breaking speed limits?

Or mounting the footpath to get through a junction? Driving after a couple of pints?

• Advertisement

Or mounting the footpath to get through a junction? Driving after a couple of pints?

Nah. It's the aul lad on the bike that's the issue. Getting out of the house and getting exercise and social interaction. He must be a mad man

Deflecting with irrelevant comments I see.

Deflecting with irrelevant comments I see.

I'm confused. What do you think is being deflected here?

I'm confused. What do you think is being deflected here?

Perfectly safe things I do while driving are not revavant to this conversation about stupidly long walks/cycling in unsuitable conditions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mediocre attempt at trolling, look to nox for guidance

More like looking to Andrew. He's the one with the boat-shoe fixation.

Perfectly safe things I do while driving are not revavant to this conversation about stupidly long walks/cycling in unsuitable conditions etc.

Speeding and drink driving are proven factors in road deaths. No matter what your opinion on it is.
    Don't think a long walk ever killed anyone but my walk to town isn't stupidly long. The conditions were fine for cycling this morning before the storm hit fully. The only travel related issue I've seen from todays storm was the truck that blew over at maam Cross. No universal safe answer. I was more making the point that some posters here (including yourself) seem to think it's impossible to walk or cycle anywhere, or at the very least it's not something anyone would ever want to do if they didn't have to. Plenty of us prefer these options to sitting into a car. And each one of us is one less car blocking you on the road. We just ask that are lives not be put at risk for these choices

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

More like looking to Andrew. He's the one with the boat-shoe fixation.

Hey, I'm not the one who wants roads built and widened because I don't want to choose a waterproof shoe.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Stop telling lies.

First or all they were talking about Parkmore and not the City.

More importantly they said 25% of people travelling to that area do so from within 4k. This 25% may already be walking, busing or cycling.

4k might be easily walked and cycled by you. You clearly don't have the capacity to see things from the point of view of say an elderly or disabled person or a young child.

Constantly repeating the 'cycling is the solution' mantra is as logical is saying people should just use flying cars. It's not practical considering where we at at right now.

Yes, he was talking about Parkmore. Given that his next sentence was about getting the 25% to switch to sustainable transport, it's a fair bet that they're not already walking or cycling.

It's amazing to see the sudden requirement that 'solutions must work for everybody'. Driving doesn't work for everybody, primarily for cost reasons. Not every can afford the extensive and ongoing costs to keep a car on the road. There are other people who, for other reasons, driving doesn't work too.

So if we can't promote cycling because it doesn't work for everybody, then clearly we shouldn't be widening any more roads or building new ones, because driving doesn't work for everybody.

For most people, a 4k walk or cycle is very feasible. Small kids can go in buggies, older kids can cycle along, or go in a cargo bike. eBikes make bike journeys very feasible for people with disabilities who need a bit of extra stamina or oomph.

There's also the fact that switching to sustainable transport isn't an irrevocable commitment to 100% sustainable transport for ever. It IS possible to cycle four days a week and then take the car on the day that you need to take kids swimming. It IS possible to walk most days and switch to the car on the days that the weather is really sh1te.

The funny bit that most people seem to miss, is that the most ardent motordom petrolhead car advocate should be busting their ass to encourage more people to walk or cycle, for the simple selfish reason that the more people who switch away from cars, the more space that will be left for the remaining cars.

The difference between cycling and flying cars is that cycling exists today.

Hey, I'm not the one who wants roads built and widened because I don't want to choose a waterproof shoe.

Yes, he was talking about Parkmore. Given that his next sentence was about getting the 25% to switch to sustainable transport, it's a fair bet that they're not already walking or cycling.

It's amazing to see the sudden requirement that 'solutions must work for everybody'. Driving doesn't work for everybody, primarily for cost reasons. Not every can afford the extensive and ongoing costs to keep a car on the road. There are other people who, for other reasons, driving doesn't work too.

So if we can't promote cycling because it doesn't work for everybody, then clearly we shouldn't be widening any more roads or building new ones, because driving doesn't work for everybody.

For most people, a 4k walk or cycle is very feasible. Small kids can go in buggies, older kids can cycle along, or go in a cargo bike. eBikes make bike journeys very feasible for people with disabilities who need a bit of extra stamina or oomph.

There's also the fact that switching to sustainable transport isn't an irrevocable commitment to 100% sustainable transport for ever. It IS possible to cycle four days a week and then take the car on the day that you need to take kids swimming. It IS possible to walk most days and switch to the car on the days that the weather is really sh1te.

The funny bit that most people seem to miss, is that the most ardent motordom petrolhead car advocate should be busting their ass to encourage more people to walk or cycle, for the simple selfish reason that the more people who switch away from cars, the more space that will be left for the remaining cars.

How long does it take you to walk 4k (in perfect conditions)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This thread is bizzare, there's very little middle ground! It seems most posters are either totally anti-car and some are totally pro-car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

JCX BXC wrote: »
    This thread is bizzare, there's very little middle ground! It seems most posters are either totally anti-car and some are totally pro-car.

They mightn't be, but a fair amount of posts in this thread ( and the last one) read like trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think there is considerable middle ground but there are probably 2 or 3 posters who have their weekly bitchfest which just brings the whole thread down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

there are probably 2 or 3 posters who have their weekly bitchfest which just brings the whole thread down.

There's more than that.
    There are those who post drivel for the sake of startin a b*fest. Surprised thread still allowed to be open.

Laviski wrote: »
    There's more than that.
    There are those who post drivel for the sake of startin a b*fest. Surprised thread still allowed to be open.

What is people’s is people’s obsession with want to get threads closed? This is one of my favourite threads on boards, clear off if you don’t like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Ya ... 4km walk or cycle in the weather we have been getting for the month of February is a lot of things .... Easy isn't one of them !!!

us cyclists have managed it just fine, where some peeps see inconvenient wind, others see resistance training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I think the middle ground is keeping things as they are. And I think we're all agreed that isn't working so nobody is suggesting the middle ground.

So the main two options for change are more roads to increase capacity or an overhaul of how people move around the city, increasing capacity on existing roads.

Cars are perfectly sustainable, I never got the use of the term “sustainable” in this context at all. I’ll be still driving everyday in 50 years time, my kids will be still driving much further than that, what’s not sustainable about it?

A question, if you live 4km from the shop and need to go now, no traffic etc do you waste 2 hours of your day walking there and back or spend 10 mins in the car getting there and back?

Cars are perfectly sustainable, I never got the use of the term “sustainable” in this context at all. I’ll be still driving everyday in 50 years time, my kids will be still driving much further than that, what’s not sustainable about it?

You used to be better at this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

If it takes you two hours to walk 8km with no traffic and do some shopping it's a wheelchair you need, not a car. Slow walkers where you live

mikemac2 wrote: »
    If it takes you two hours to walk 8km with no traffic and do some shopping it's a wheelchair you need, not a car. Slow walkers where you live

8km is a 1.5 to 2 hours walk all day long don’t pretend it’s faster. That’s leaving out carrying stuff etc took which could make it even longer.

• Advertisement

A question, if you live 4km from the shop and need to go now, no traffic etc do you waste 2 hours of your day walking there and back or spend 10 mins in the car getting there and back?

Where in Galway city does anyone live 4km from a shop?

If you are going to pose hypotheticals they need to be somewhat based in reality and not farcical in nature

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement