Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

You used to be better at this

The truth hurts agendas doesn’t it.
    Where in Galway city does anyone live 4km from a shop?

If you are going to pose hypotheticals they need to be somewhat based in reality and not farcical in nature

The poster is suggesting 4km walks are practical, what destination should I pick to suit the agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

And now you shaved 25% off it to be more realistic, good lad. Could have done that in the first place but it would have been less dramatic

mikemac2 wrote: »
    And now you shaved 25% off it to be more realistic, good lad. Could have done that in the first place but it would have been less dramatic

A large proportion of peope will take 2 hours or more to walk 8km if they are even able to it was a very reasonable time to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Are there any bike friendly buses in use around Galway, or even Ireland?

Burkes look they provide a good service in and out of Galway for instance but I'm not sure just how straightforward it would be to bring a bike into town on one of their buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where in Galway city does anyone live 4km from a shop?

If you are going to pose hypotheticals they need to be somewhat based in reality and not farcical in nature

I'd say that most people who live in the suburbs are more than 4km from a sports good shop, or a music shop or a clothing shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The truth hurts agendas doesn’t it.

The poster is suggesting 4km walks are practical, what destination should I pick to suit the agenda?

I walked 4km to work a few years ago, took me 45-50 mins. Great start to the day. During the big snow a few years ago, a work colleague insisted on driving the same distance. Spending 2 hours to drive 4km didn't make much sense to me, but each to their own I guess

grbear wrote: »
    Are there any bike friendly buses in use around Galway, or even Ireland?

Burkes look they provide a good service in and out of Galway for instance but I'm not sure just how straightforward it would be to bring a bike into town on one of their buses.

Most coach companies allow bicycles in their luggage compartments.

You may have to disassemble them to some extent.

Regional buses don't usually have luggage compartments.

I'd say that most people who live in the suburbs are more than 4km from a sports good shop, or a music shop or a clothing shop.

Its over 200km from Dublin Zoo to the center of Galway

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I walked 4km to work a few years ago, took me 45-50 mins. Great start to the day. During the big snow a few years ago, a work colleague insisted on driving the same difference. Spending 2 hours to drive 4km didn't make much sense to me, but each to their own I guess

That is an absolute lie, 45 mins would be a good time for an 8km run, absolutely no way are you waking it anywhere close to that. It’s at least 1.5 hours walk.

Wouldn’t blame your work colleague for driving the time of the snow, walking was lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

That is an absolute lie, 45 mins would be a good time for an 8km run, absolutely no way are you waking it anywhere close to that. It’s at least 1.5 hours walk.

Wouldn’t blame your work colleague for driving the time of the snow, walking was lethal.

I think he means each way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cars are perfectly sustainable, I never got the use of the term “sustainable” in this context at all. I’ll be still driving everyday in 50 years time, my kids will be still driving much further than that, what’s not sustainable about it?
    You might have noticed a few storms and other weather events recently, especially down west? That's what's not sustainable about it, among other things.

Your kids will probably never drive themselves. They might be driven in automatic cars, or they might share point-to-point transport with others.

A question, if you live 4km from the shop and need to go now, no traffic etc do you waste 2 hours of your day walking there and back or spend 10 mins in the car getting there and back?

Fair question. I use the car frequently at evenings and weekends, mostly for family reasons rather than for my own personal travel. Once again, this kind of thinking isn't about banning cars or throwing cars completely out the window.

It's just pointing out the futility of relying on driving round with four empty seats at rush hour.

How long does it take you to walk 4k (in perfect conditions)?
    45-60 minutes maybe. This may be a big surprise, but some people are very happy to get their exercise on their commute, rather than sit in a mobile sitting room on their commute, and then be rushing to the gym afterwards to get their exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

"Although walkingspeeds can vary greatly depending on many factors such as height, weight, age, terrain, surface, load, culture, effort, and fitness, the average human walking speed at crosswalks is about 5.0kilometres per hour (km/h), or about 1.4 meters per second (m/s), or about 3.1 miles per hour (mph)." Admittedly sourced from Wikipedia, but I'd do 5kph/hr plus easy walking.

Not sure about that. People are generally incapable of driving here in a hail storm, never mind snow. Kept the insurance companies busy I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I live on the East side and would be within that distance of all three you've suggested, confortably, and that's only thinking about going West and forgetting that Briarhill has shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Fair question. I use the car frequently at evenings and weekends, mostly for family reasons rather than for my own personal travel. Once again, this kind of thinking isn't about banning cars or throwing cars completely out the window.

It's just pointing out the futility of relying on driving round with four empty seats at rush hour

Andrew, how is it ok for you to frequently use your vehicle for family reasons and presume every other driver who happens to be on their own when you see them, haven't also got family reasons as to why they're driving. Plenty of people on their way to work would've dropped kids to school or partners to their workplace. Needed to go to the gym, the shop, doctors etc.
    Why can't your kids/family cycle, walk, get the bus?
    Or is different rules for you?

Andrew, how is it ok for you to frequently use your vehicle for family reasons and presume every other driver who happens to be on their own when you see them, haven't also got family reasons as to why they're driving. Plenty of people on their way to work would've dropped kids to school or partners to their workplace. Needed to go to the gym, the shop, doctors etc.
    Why can't your kids/family cycle, walk, get the bus?
    Or is different rules for you?
    I've never said that 'it's not OK' for anyone to drive. I've just pointed out the obvious fact that if large numbers of people insist in driving 80% empty cars for rush hour, there isn't enough space or oxygen on the planet to accommodate this.

If we continue to build our cities around cars with cyclists and pedestrians as an afterthought, then we'll continue to have the same forms of traffic chaos, but worse.

I've never said that 'it's not OK' for anyone to drive. I've just pointed out the obvious fact that if large numbers of people insist in driving 80% empty cars for rush hour, there isn't enough space or oxygen on the planet to accommodate this.

If we continue to build our cities around cars with cyclists and pedestrians as an afterthought, then we'll continue to have the same forms of traffic chaos, but worse.

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you, but you're the most virulent anti-car poster on this forum.
    But you "frequently" use your car.
    The same diesel guzzling, planet choking, cyclist killing car you constantly piss and moan about.

Buy an e-bike and one of those carts you can pull behind. Some decent raingear and footwear for yourself and the little ones and you need never sit behind the wheel again.

The electric sign that was in the Cathedral car park saying that there was no through road for the novena has been moved slightly down and now says that theres no turn on to Bridge Street (O'Briens bridge) on the 5th of March (I assume for the royal visit). Had a look on the city council website and can't see anything about it or other road closures on that day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you, but you're the most virulent anti-car poster on this forum.
    The same diesel guzzling, planet choking, cyclist killing car you constantly piss and moan about.

Buy an e-bike and one of those carts you can pull behind. Some decent raingear and footwear for yourself and the little ones and you need never sit behind the wheel again.

It's about using the right tool for the job. You'd be hard pushed to find someone that doesn't understand just how convenient a car is and how useful/essential they are for certain tasks. But they're stupidly inefficient for moving large numbers of people around.
    The problem these days is that all infrastructure development and planning is around using a car and people are left with no option but to use them. Even if they'd be happier to use a bus or cycle or walk.

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's about using the right tool for the job. You'd be hard pushed to find someone that doesn't understand just how convenient a car is and how useful/essential they are for certain tasks. But they're stupidly inefficient for moving large numbers of people around.
    The problem these days is that all infrastructure development and planning is around using a car and people are left with no option but to use them. Even if they'd be happier to use a bus or cycle or walk.

Wouldn't disagree with you at all, but the way Andrew has posted in this forum, you'd think the car was the devil incarnate.
    And lo and behold, he uses it when it suits him... frequently.

Anyway, this is way off topic, so apologies.

I have no idea where Andrew lives, but it's clearly not Galway. No idea why he posts in this forum.

I've decided to stop feeding him.

• Advertisement

And since I'm here....

There's €600 million allotted and a route planned for the ring road.
    There is a plan and I'm presuming funds allotted for BusConnect, if and when it comes to Galway.
    But is there any plan for and funds allotted( or applied ) for new cycle lanes in the city.

I would have thought that if the plan is to take private vehicles out of the city and get people on to alternative modes of travel, that cycle lanes should be in the planning stages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

And since I'm here....

There's €600 million allotted and a route planned for the ring road.
    There is a plan and I'm presuming funds allotted for BusConnect, if and when it comes to Galway.
    But is there any plan for and funds allotted( or applied ) for new cycle lanes in the city.

I would have thought that if the plan is to take private vehicles out of the city and get people on to alternative modes of travel, that cycle lanes should be in the planning stages as well.

Cycling Plan for Galway. I think most on here would love to see it implemented.

https://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/news_items/Traffic-Transport/GTS/GTS%20Appendix%20F%20Cycle%20Network%20and%20Infrastructure%20Development.pdf

It is not the only solution. Only part of a possible solution. Pity this has to be pointed out, but it is clearly not obvious to some people who are pathologically against new infrastructure for cars (more and more electric), buses, trucks, vans and motorbikes. Their agenda gets way to much air time in this thread.

I have no idea where Andrew lives, but it's clearly not Galway. No idea why he posts in this forum.

I've decided to stop feeding him.
    We have our own food here, thanks.

You seem to be confused between something being

a) possible
    b) a good idea, and
    c) compulsory.

In anything I've said about sustainable transport, I've been somewhere around a and b. I've never gone to c. I've never suggested that sustainable travel should be compulsory. I've simply pointed out that it is generally possible for a fair bunch of the population for some of the time.

Not so much anti-car as anti-crap-drivers, if you will.

Wombatman wrote: »

Jaysus, thats some lackluster ambition, most of it consists of nothing but signs and a few tins of paint. The rest is mostly made up of "when someone else builds something it'll be nice if they could, maybe, possibly, hopefully, do X, Y or Z......maybe".

Its literally looks like a document they can point at and say "but look, we did a thing". It was done in Aug 2016, has anything materialised from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Most coach companies allow bicycles in their luggage compartments.

You may have to disassemble them to some extent.

Regional buses don't usually have luggage compartments.

I should have been clearer. I meant something like this where there's basically a bike rack on the bus.

https://www.bordersbuses.co.uk/bike-friendly-buses

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

A question, if you live 4km from the shop and need to go now, no traffic etc do you waste 2 hours of your day walking there and back or spend 10 mins in the car getting there and back?

see your problem is that you see 2 hours of physical exercise or and about in the fresh air as a waste ;)

I should have been clearer. I meant something like this where there's basically a bike rack on the bus.

Almost certain you can't take bikes on the city buses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

pure.conya wrote: »
    see your problem is that you see 2 hours of physical exercise or and about in the fresh air as a waste ;)

Stop things getting personal

This thread teeters on falling into mayhem at times but the least people can do is keep away from personal jabs

For the distances covered by city buses, its unnecessary.

For regional buses... let's focus on making them accessible first.

• Advertisement

For the distances covered by city buses, its unnecessary.

For regional buses... let's focus on making them accessible first.

I'm sure it would be incredibly useful for a lot of people to cycle to the bus stop and/or from the bus stop to work but I don't think we'll see it any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement